• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Nothing wrong with the second gen 3.5 EcoBoost. It solved many of the claimed issues people reported. Mechanics and web forums tend to have skewed results cause happy people dont bitch or take their cars to mechanics. So you have to take that stuff with a grain of salt.

I've had about 6 or so Ford trucks and 2 expeditions in the last dozen years, 2 at a time and I keep them 2 to 3 years, with mostly ecoboost motors. Never had any issues with them. 3 of the 2nd gen versions. My kids both have fords with ecoboost motors in 3 and 4 cylinder flavors. I also had an explorer and edge but they were non EcoBoost v6s.

I will say way back when I had a dodge with a hemi in standard white work truck form, I think I told this story before, I came across a truck n trailer rig. Full size diesel moving type with about a 20 foot box completely full stuck dead innthe middle of the road. It died as it was turning left. I pulled up nose to nose, cause reverse is your lowest gear, hooked a tow chain to the hook on the front end and pulled that sucker up hill out of the road. No trouble at all.

We were all surprised.

I'll still stick with my Fords. I'm my experience they are the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned.

Regardless I ain't paying 6 figures for anything I cant live in. That's just "I'm a sucker" insane. Just like getting the higher trim lo levels. Especially nowdays when even base models have decent radios, connectivity, remote controls on the steering wheel and power everything. No need to tack on 25 grand for leather and gadgets you will never use or navigation that's out of date in a year.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My friend recently bought one of the TRX’s. I don’t want To know what he paid for it. He previously had a Nissa GTR.

He may have burned some $$$ in cars.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    FWIW, other than being "OEM" a stock 2021 Raptor isn't really a fair comparison to the TRX for the full package, including price....

This $110K option is a true pound for pound competitor.

Tough to compare an aftermarket conversion to a factory truck though…I’ll take factory unless I’m building it with my own aftermarket choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Joke all you want. 2014 and up Fiat made a huge leap in quality over the old trucks. I think a lot of yall are doing yourself a disservice not considering a newer ram when looking at trucks. Again, just an opinion of someone that fixes everything not just one brand like a dealer tech.
    Lmao what!?

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    As a guy that pretty much drove nothing but Ford trucks since 1983, I'd have to agree. Bought my first Ram about 5 years ago. It impressed me enough that when I had to buy a new one last year, I didn't even consider anything else. It's a work truck so Tradesman package is all I wanted/needed - but on a Ram, that means tilt wheel, power window/locks and cruise control. The B/U camera in the rear view mirror is about useless IMO, but since it's a safety-related issue, I'm gonna upgrade the radio to this:

Now the wife has spotted the new 2022 Aviator and decided she wanted it...so, we'll be trading in her 2020 Aviator (with under 8k miles) and picking up her new one around the first part of September. They ain't coming off the MSRP of the new one much, but they're giving us a helluva lot more for her '20 than I expected, it's a wash.

Oh - and this is the Ram 3500.....along with some of the custom rigging we did.
    View attachment 265634 View attachment 265635 View attachment 265636 View attachment 265637
    Screen-Shot-2017-03-16-at-6.34.37-PM.jpg

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Those fuel injectors are pricey, so doing 8 at a time hurts that much more.
    Are they a common issue on those trucks?

Make sure you’ve replaced the entire pitman arm and all related bushings…sorta common on the IFS HD trucks.

My Silverado is IFS but for trucks I actually prefer a solid axle up front…they’re tough and known issues (like death wobble) are easily prevented/remedied, plus I’m just more familiar with them.

I’ve read you can turn your 5-speed Allison into a 6-speed with a valve body and programming…but that valve body is like $2k LOL

With all the pricey components and emissions crap, I dunno if I’ll ever own another diesel truck…at least not without a warranty.

I love that each carmaker offers a pretty stout gas V8 for their HD trucks. That’s the route I’d most consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The injectors were being sold by the diesel shop I use for $350ea, plus install labor, but the head mech allowed me to purchase online and he installed them. Found a place in FL and paid $125ea. That's quite a markup for the shop owner and he was totally pissed and yelled and screamed at my wife and friend, whom I had sent to pick up the vehicle because I was gone working a wildfire. I only had one bank of injectors done and spent the extra $$ on the water/bubble filter to try to save the other bank of injectors. Yes, it's a common problem on that year of truck because IIRC the high pressure fuel pump is in the fuel tank (not sure), the OEM filter is only 20micron, the impurities and air bubbles wear out (open up) the injector nozzle/opening, and around 200k miles it usually needs to be done due to running too rich.

Regarding the steering, my understanding, from both the original mech and my stepson mech, is that after two diff efforts EVERYTHING was replaced and the steering box is the only thing left. I'll be really puzzled if that doesn't fix it.

I won't be spending another $2k turning the 5spd into a 6spd.... I'm happy with it, and due to eye damage I won't be towing RV's anymore. My daughter that lives in Ark has asked if she can have my camp trailer, a 28'er, and I told her she could have the truck too as long as they provided a replacement. It doesn't have to be a diesel, but it does have to be 4wd, either 1/2T or 3/4T but I'd prefer 3/4T. No Fords, no Rams. :what:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    The injectors were being sold by the diesel shop I use for $350ea, but the head mech allowed me to purchase online and he installed them. Found a place in FL and paid $125ea. That's quite a markup for the shop owner and he was totally pissed and yelled and screamed at my wife and friend, whom I had sent to pick up the vehicle because I was gone working a wildfire. I only had one bank of injectors done and spent the extra $$ on the water/bubble filter to try to save the other bank of injectors. Yes, it's a common problem on that year of truck because IIRC the high pressure fuel pump is in the fuel tank, the OEM filter is only 20micron, the impurities and air bubbles wear out (open up) the injector nozzle/opening, and around 200k miles it usually needs to be done due to running too rich.

Regarding the steering, my understanding, from both the original mech and my stepson mech, is that after two diff efforts EVERYTHING was replaced and the steering box is the only thing left. I'll be really puzzled if that doesn't fix it.

I won't be spending another $2k turning the 5spd into a 6spd.... I'm happy with it, and due to eye damage I won't be towing RV's anymore. My daughter that lives in Ark has asked if she can have my camp trailer, a 28'er, and I told her she could have the truck too as long as they provided a replacement. It doesn't have to be a diesel, but it does have to be 4wd, either 1/2T or 3/4T but I'd prefer 3/4T. No Fords, no Rams. :what:
    Dats racist
    FB_IMG_1615344669694.jpg
    love a ford today

Top Bottom