Texas SOT

Anyone practice with exactly what ammo you carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I came across some bonded WWB HPs and thought to myself that this could be a good thing. Even though these are cheap end hollowpoints how many people actually practice with exactly what they shoot.

I think I would be more confident under this training procedure than practicing with fmjs and carrying some kind of high tech wonder bullet.
    Venture Surplus ad

rbrthenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    NRH
    I carry Winchester 147gr JHP. When I go to the range, I always take at least a box of these with me and run them through exactly how I carry them. They are a little snappier than most of the FMJ target stuff out there. I get the Winchester at Wal-Mart for 13 and some change a box. So not too bad of a price...

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I was thinking about just doing all of my shooting with the WWB HPs. They only amount to about a buck more than the FMJs.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I shoot the ammo out of my carry guns a couple times a year (and I don't clean the gun first either, real world conditions). I also shoot any carry ammo that doesn't weigh close to the ammo weight average, just in case it doesn't have powder in it or something. Factory ammo isn't perfect, but I honestly haven't had any failures yet either. Now if there was just some way to check for flash holes without firing it.......

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    It's really in your best interest to shoot at least 100rnds. of them. I like to carry +P loads so the feel is always slightly different.

I've seen some ammo tests with the Winchester JHPs and the white box don't keep the jacket together too well but for the price they are good enough.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I shoot the ammo out of my carry guns a couple times a year (and I don't clean the gun first either, real world conditions). I also shoot any carry ammo that doesn't weigh close to the ammo weight average, just in case it doesn't have powder in it or something. Factory ammo isn't perfect, but I honestly haven't had any failures yet either. Now if there was just some way to check for flash holes without firing it.......

Same here, and the logic of cleaning a firearm before going to the range (as opposed to afterward) makes good sense; as any problems that may arise will be known before they become an issue.

I carry HydraShoks in the XD and they have never given me a problem (nor has any other ammo, which is why I carry it!).

Cheers! M2

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I shoot my defensive rounds regularly but I do not practice with them exclusively. Most of my practice is done with range ammo.

Personally, I would not downgrade the quality of my defensive rounds so I could practice with them exclusively. I would just shoot them often enough that I was comfortable with the feel.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Same here, and the logic of cleaning a firearm before going to the range (as opposed to afterward)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I've been asked a few times why I "put them up dirty". Well that's how I know they are in a condition to be ready, lol...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    For self-defense purposes, there is not going to be enough of a difference in POA/POI between carry and practice ammo to matter. It is wise to always run several magazines of carry ammo through your weapon to insure reliability.

I have a Beretta .380 that does not like Cor Bon.

I rotate carry ammo regularly, and always burn it up when buying new boxes. I shoot Winchester white box or whatever is cheap for other practice. Especially when going to a school.

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    Anytime I get a new carry gun or decide to carry a different ammo I run at least one box through it to make sure they work well together. I also rotate my carry ammo twice a year and shoot the old ammo to get rid of it. I always carry Hornady Critical Defense or Spear Gold Dot, 115 and 124 grain respectively. (9mm)

Top Bottom