• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    I just got the same email. We'll see what's in the package when it arrives. Lol

IMG_3276.jpg
    Texas SOT

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The package arrived and it actually contained a Raptor looking charging handle. Except for the Logo and a couple of little things, they are identical. Installed it in my PSA build and it works just fine. The only physical difference I can see is the latch roll pins are not as beefy as the Raptor's. Its also a little lighter. My scale says it weighs 6 grams less than Raptor. Raptor is 39 grams, Gray Badger clone is 33 grams.

So there it is. Not quite as well built as the Raptor, but it is fully functional. Pretty much what I expected.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The package arrived and it actually contained a Raptor looking charging handle. Except for the Logo and a couple of little things, they are identical. Installed it in my PSA build and it works just fine. The only physical difference I can see is the latch roll pins are not as beefy as the Raptor's. Its also a little lighter. My scale says it weighs 6 grams less than Raptor. Raptor is 39 grams, Gray Badger clone is 33 grams.

So there it is. Not quite as well built as the Raptor, but it is fully functional. Pretty much what I expected.

So does a little weight difference make it operate differently? Does one feel better than the other? If so, which one? Does the lighter one feel flimsy? Does the heavier one feel sluggish? Is one "better" than the other? I know nothing about charging handles except you pull to charge. Just asking.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    So does a little weight difference make it operate differently? Does one feel better than the other? If so, which one? Does the lighter one feel flimsy? Does the heavier one feel sluggish? Is one "better" than the other? I know nothing about charging handles except you pull to charge. Just asking.

The weight doesn't make any difference in the way it feels or operates. The heavier one is probably a little bit sturdier. The lighter one does not feel flimsy at all. It feels like a standard charging handle that comes with most 600-800 dollar ARs. The difference is in the latch release. The ambis usually have Larger wings to grasp and they can be operated from either side independently.

Overall, as far as reliability, there probably isn't much difference between standard charging handles. Most are mil spec and you hardly ever hear of one breaking or wearing out.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The weight doesn't make any difference in the way it feels or operates. The heavier one is probably a little bit sturdier. The lighter one does not feel flimsy at all. It feels like a standard charging handle that comes with most 600-800 dollar ARs. The difference is in the latch release. The ambis usually have Larger wings to grasp and they can be operated from either side independently.

Overall, as far as reliability, there probably isn't much difference between standard charging handles. Most are mil spec and you hardly ever hear of one breaking or wearing out.
    You might have an issue if you have to pull it while slamming the butt stock down to free a stuck round.

Maybe.

I have broken a charging handle before but that was definitely abuse.

Sounds like it is going to work out ok for you though.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    A couple of comparison pics. The Gray Badger CH is obviously a knock-off of the Raptor CH. It isn't advertised as a Raptor tho, and there are a few subtle differences. As already mentioned, the first thing I noticed was the less beefy latch roll pins. Then the weight: 33 grams compared to 39 grams. The standard CH also weighs in at 33 grams. There is also a difference in the latches internally. When I move the left latch handle on the Raptor, the right one doesn't move. When I do the same with the Gray Badger, both handles move. The latch springs are also lighter on the GB charging handle.

Looking at some dimensions, the actual hook latch itself is thinner than the Raptor and the standard CH that came with the Bushmaster.
    The GB latch measures .105 thick, while the other two measure .126.

The long arm of the GB handle measures .289" high and the other two are right at .299". The width of the GB arm measures .395" while the standard CH and the Raptor come in at .400".

So, while the Gray Badger CH doesn't appear to be built as solidly as the Raptor, or even a standard CH, it seems to function just fine.
    Would I trust it with my life, er...maybe not. But I'm gonna use it for now.

Gray Badger clone and AXTS Raptor

IMG_2089_zpsxxrmelgl.jpg

Standard charging handle thrown in for comparison

2195dc66-b762-4b39-afc1-398bdc3f16ea_zpsmauxnwgc.jpg

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    A couple of comparison pics. The Gray Badger CH is obviously a knock-off of the Raptor CH. It isn't advertised as a Raptor tho, and there are a few subtle differences. As already mentioned, the first thing I noticed was the less beefy latch roll pins. Then the weight: 33 grams compared to 39 grams. The standard CH also weighs in at 33 grams. There is also a difference in the latches internally. When I move the left latch handle on the Raptor, the right one doesn't move. When I do the same with the Gray Badger, both handles move. The latch springs are also lighter on the GB charging handle.

Looking at some dimensions, the actual hook latch itself is thinner than the Raptor and the standard CH that came with the Bushmaster.
    The GB latch measures .105 thick, while the other two measure .126.

The long arm of the GB handle measures .289" high and the other two are right at .299". The width of the GB arm measures .395" while the standard CH and the Raptor come in at .400".

So, while the Gray Badger CH doesn't appear to be built as solidly as the Raptor, or even a standard CH, it seems to function just fine.

Excellent comparison!

Top Bottom