• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flashgor_99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    Decided to finally start building my first AR-15. Got the parts, found a good video and in no time at all ran into my first snag. I have and FDR-15 receiver set from F-1 Firearms. There is already a pin inserted where I place the bolt catch. It appears to be threaded and so screwed in. I can't get it out. There doesn't appear to be any screwdriver slot. At the other end, if it is meant for an allen wrench, it is for one smaller tha 1/16th inch because that won't fit. The threads make be reluctant to go trying to punch it out without some advice. Any tips guys? Thanks in advance.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I looked into that receiver. On everything else, it's a roll pin. I'm not finding a description of a threaded pin for the bolt catch.

When you say it appears threaded. Does it have a slot head? Allen head or Tork head?

I've never heard of the bolt catch being threaded. It's usually a roll pin.

flashgor_99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    It isnt smooth like I'd expect a roll pin, but I can't swear it is threaded. Hadn't thought of Tork head, but I need a dissecting microscope stuff that small. I emailed F-1 but can't expect a response before Monday.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    "Screws included for bolt catch, receiver tensioning, take-down pin detent and trigger adjustment"
    Seems like it is threaded. That is a direct quote from the website

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Rienierarms Web sight that is

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    That's hardcore. Threading the two titties for the bolt catch. Getting it straight. Actually getting a tap to reach and still being able to turn it..

I'm calling bada$$.

flashgor_99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    :usflag:Hit a stopping point yesterday (Sunday) when I realized I was missing a part. So, I'll finish the build before the weekend and let you know early next week. My shooting is done on a farm several miles away.

flashgor_99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    Ok, sorry I didn't get back sooner, but got the gun finished and tried it out last weekend. It refused to eject the first couple of rounds I fired, but I wasn't too surprised and it was a quick fix. I'd been following a very good youtube video building it, but when I got to the hand rail, well, there's a 1000 different styles and of course, mine was different. So, I got out of sequence and got the hand rail on before adjusting the gas block. At the range, pulled the rail, adjusted the block, reinstalled the rail and started firing. SWEEEET! :asniper: Sure can go through a lot of ammo fast with a 30 round mag. I'm not a well-practiced shot, but was pretty consistant at 100 yards using a red dot scope ($45, so not top of the line). I've already added a bipod. Still need to get adapters so I can borrow my scope and night scope from my .270. After going WAAAY over budget (next time I'll start with a budget, sheesh) I'll have to wait on the numerous add-ons I plan. Hopefully, this weekend I'll play around with adjusting the gas block just to learn a little more about this gun.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom