Ar carry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TEXAS_GLOCKER, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEXAS_GLOCKER

TEXAS_GLOCKER New Member

Aug 18, 2008
    NEAR VICTORIA TEXAS
    Hello everyone. Im new to this forum.i have a question i cant find an answer to. What are the laws in texas about carrying an ar in my truck everyday? Can i get haselled for being stoped with it in my truck if im not on the way to the range? Thanks for any info you can share.

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas does not generally restrict the carry of long guns. There are a couple of laws to be aware of.

PENAL CODE TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/htm/pe.010.00.000046.00.htm#46.05.00

See (a)(3) 46.01 will give you the definition

PENAL CODE TITLE 9. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND DECENCY CHAPTER 42. DISORDERLY CONDUCT AND RELATED OFFENSES

See (a) 7-9

PENAL CODE CHAPTER 22. ASSAULTIVE OFFENSES

Do you know Texas law regarding the use of force and deadly force?

PENAL CODE CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

3. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I often leave an AR or M1a in the car on the off chance I can swing by the range.

4. TEXAS_GLOCKER

TEXAS_GLOCKER New Member

Aug 18, 2008
    NEAR VICTORIA TEXAS
    Mine is not am sbr so that part i dont have to worry about. And i understand when i can and cant use force or deadly force, im a chl holder, but if i wanted to carry my ar all the time in my truck just in case or if it was a natural disaster or a shtf situation and i grab my bail out bag and ar and i happened to get stopped by the man....iam within my legal writes...yes?

5. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    Little off-topic, I hold a Tx CHL and I own an AR-15 pistol. I has a virgin POF lower and a 10.5 upper and a custom buffer tube that will not accept a standard stock body.

Technically I *could* conceal carry it - as long as I conceal it.

BUT I can't carry an auto knife in public - go figure.

txinvestigator - your a state apologist - can you justify this discrepancy?

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have no idea what that means, nor what discrepency to which you refer OR how it relates to this thread.

7. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Sounds like quintessential trolling to me. :rolleyes:

8. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    No trolling here, txinvestigator has made his views very clear about in regards to firearms related liberty. Based on what he has said on these boards, he supports the BATFE FTB and their non-documented methods of firearm testing.......in secret.......as well as paying for testimony, and now officially declaring that if your semi-automatic rifle fails for any reason - you are guilty of manufacturing/posessing/transferring an unregistered machine gun. This behaviour is incompatible with the liberty our forefathers gave their lives for. Whether the term "state apologist" is taken as derogitory is up to the audience, but based on his actions - it is applicable.

With that being said, txinvestigator does posess a valuable amount of knowledge on Texas law - as asinine as most of the laws are, it certainly is helpful to know them to dodge the legal minefield so to speak. This is where my post goes at least slightly on-topic. The original posted asked about carrying an AR-pattern rifle in his vehicle.

I did pay the state extortion money and asked nicely if I could exercise my enumerated right of carrying a sidearm for personal protection. I also own an AR-pistol, it is legally a pistol and therefor I may carry it concealed. I never do, as this would be very awkward and would require clothing that is incompatible with Texas heat. It does make it convienient to carry a loaded concealed rifle-caliber weapon in my car though.

Now to the legal discrepancy that I hoped txinvestigator could shed some light one. I recently purchased a Boker automatic (switchblade) knife, I know that I cannot carry it in public based on my knowledge on Tx law. BUT, technically I CAN carry an AR-pistol - maybe even with a Beta-C mag if I got creative.........but a 2.5" blade auto knife is verboten..........

Can anyone explain this?

9. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    While your points are certainly valid, the term "state apologist" is definitely derogatory. If you are genuinely interesting in an answer, I believe your likelihood of getting one would be greater without such aspersions.

10. carney

carney Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Outside DFW metromess.
    We do not make the laws we simply enforce them. If you do not like the current laws talk to your congressman or representative, Or move

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.