• ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Just received this email:

The Austin Rifle Club is pleased to announce that ARC will be hosting steel matches on Tuesday evenings beginning July 1, 2014 at the Austin Rifle Club Range. Match setup starts at 5:30pm and the shooting starts at 6:00pm. The match is limited to the first 32 shooters. The round count is approximately 100 rounds provided you don't miss. As always, bring more.
    Match fee will be $15, $10 for ARC members, and $5 for juniors under 18.
    Match Format
    A Tuesday Night Steel Match is essentially comprised of 4 stages with an approximate round count of 100 rounds. Each stage has 5 steel targets, one of which is a "Stop Plate". The object of the game is to score a hit as quickly as possible on all of the targets making sure to hit the designated "stop plate" last. You can use as many rounds of ammunition to achieve this goal and the timer stops when you hit the stop plate. This is considered a single "run" on a stage. Occasionally, we may incorporate falling steel such as a plate rack or poppers. For rimfire shooters, steel would not have to fall to score.
    Scoring and Penalties
    Scoring for a Steel Challenge match is based on time. Penalties are also assessed as time that is added to you time for a run. As you complete each run of a stage, a scorekeeper writes down your time for that run including any penalties. Penalties include missing a plate (3 seconds), shooting a plate from outside the shooting box (3 seconds), and incorrect starting position (3 seconds) Hitting the stop plate early means you score a miss for any plates you failed to hit so be careful to make every hit count. The scorekeeper will review your times for the stage and drop the lowest time. The rest of the scores are added up to give you your total time for that stage. This repeats itself for all stages
    Best Practices
    · Familiarize yourself with all your equipment.
    · Zero your pistol, so much easier to hit targets when you know where your bullets are going.
    · Hydrate before, during and after a match, snacks are a plus to stave off any hunger pains.
    · Start with accuracy and precision before trying to speed things up.
    Rules
    USPSA safety rules apply, please take a moment to review the rules as they will be strictly enforced.
    USPSA Rules
    Centerfire Divisions:
    Handgun:
    · Safe holster that covers the trigger guard and retains the pistol securely. No crossdraw or thigh holsters are allowed.
    · 5 magazines (If you have less, it means you'll have to hand one back to someone so they can load it for you while you shoot a different one, and this can certainly be done--but it works best to already have a loaded magazine for every string on a particular stage.)
    · Ear/Eye Protection
    Rimfire Divisions:
    Handgun:
    · 5 magazines
    · Ear/Eye Protection
    · Holsters are not required for Rimfire Pistol divisions, start position is low ready.
    Rifle:
    · 5 magazines
    · Ear/Eye Protection
    · Standard or High-velocity ammunition (explanation given below)
    Rifles must be bagged between stages. We don't have a long-gun rack on every stage, so you have to case them when you are done shooting a particular stage.
    Match Directors:
    Sheldon Carruth
    Mark Sager
    Military Camp

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Just got the same one, looks good! I have been out of competition a while and want to get back in. May not make the first, but will be doing them.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    That is not an answer, and the answer is not in post #1. A guest of a member might be allowed to shoot and the fee is different for the guest, but a random shooter walking in would not be allowed to shoot.
    Well, it answered it for me - only members are cited in the fee schedule.

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    Found out that membership is not required to shoot this match. Not too far off the path of my way home. Probably not this week, but maybe next.

ken800

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    How good do you actually have to be to even be remotely competitive? I've got very accurate 9 and 45 and can stay in a target ring at those distances, but I have to pace myself farther out. I'd love to give this a try, but I don't want to look like a chump if everyone there is an ace.

Top Bottom