• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How good do you actually have to be to even be remotely competitive? I've got very accurate 9 and 45 and can stay in a target ring at those distances, but I have to pace myself farther out. I'd love to give this a try, but I don't want to look like a chump if everyone there is an ace.

I would get out and shoot if you are interested. Most gun competitions are pretty friendly.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I would get out and shoot if you are interested. Most gun competitions are pretty friendly.

Good advice. I sucked at my first match. Got better with each subsequent one.
    Never felt looked down on.

Unfortunately, I've been out for so long that I'll likely suck again when I finally get back out.

ken800

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Alrighty then... I've got two options, 9MM or .45ACP. Both of which I can load my own. What load in a 200gr SWC .45acp (basically an H&G 68 close) is a good match round? I'm currently experimenting with 3.7 to 4.0gr of bullseye.

laurafan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I second what Mic said. I'm pretty middle of the pack but I manage to have fun. The match is more about speed than accuracy ( a hit anywhere on a plate counts ). The plate rack is a bit different, the plates have to fall, so an edge hit might not do it. Last time I was there I saw 9, 40, 45 and 22 being used. You will need a holster for centerfire pistol, rimfire starts from low ready, so you can get by with a case or bag instead of a holster.

laurafan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    The evening steel matches are on hold until the club figures out a way to get around the sun setting so early. There just is not enough time between when people can make it to the range after work and when it gets dark. That said, ALSPPC holds a full steel match every month at the ARC range, check the ARC web site calendar for dates and status ( Austin Rifle Club | Making Better Shooters). I'm optimistic that the evening matches will resume in the spring when there is a bit more daylight to work with, but I have not seen an official announcement.

Top Bottom