• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    Due to regrets selling the 82 several years ago (also owned Polish P-83 and two 'actual' Makarovs) just ordered a CZ-83.

The current Lower prices of .380 ammo made this choice more appealing than the much higher current prices for 9mm Mak ammo used in the CZ-82.

This 83 will complement my CZ PCR and Czechpoint VZ-58 (7.62x39).
    Texas SOT

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Have CZ82 (9×18) and 83 in .32acp (7.65), big fan of both.

Sweet shooters.

Only issue is cost of ammo compared to more common calibers.

Never owned a .380 version.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Curious as to whom you ordered the 83 from, since they have been discontinued for quite a while now.

I'd love to have a couple myself, in all honesty.

ArmyDub

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2020
    Texas
    i like .380 as well as CZ. haven’t seen a CZ83 priced like i wanna pay AND in good condition.

Last edited:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    i like .380 as well as CZ. haven’t seen a CZ83 priced like i wanna pay AND in good condition.
    Finding one I good condition is tough alone. I had one of mine cerakoted for fun.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Due to regrets selling the 82 several years ago (also owned Polish P-83 and two 'actual' Makarovs) just ordered a CZ-83.

The current Lower prices of .380 ammo made this choice more appealing than the much higher current prices for 9mm Mak ammo used in the CZ-82.

This 83 will complement my CZ PCR and Czechpoint VZ-58 (7.62x39).
    I picked up a Cz 83 - .380 - in Germany back in the 80s. It was a great pistol but life happened and I had to sell it.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Fortunately I was able to get 2 CZ-83's in great condition back before gun prices went nuts with one being the cold war version made in Czechoslovakia and the post cold war version that was made in the Czech Republic. Got a great price on both and they are probably now being sold for double or more than what I paid for them but I am not going to sell them!

CZ83.jpg

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    Be aware that the true "OEM" magazines are very difficult to find now -- choose an 82/83 (.380) very carefully -not just due to today's really high prices for 9mm Mak ammo.

My 83 should ship in about a week, and I'm very glad that I didn't choose a gun with no mag, before reading
    about how the------ :( "cz mfg" -----mags constantly malfunction.

:)The correct mag should have two " crossed swords " on the floorplate, unless these were "scrubbed" during certain 'sensitive' business deals between various countries (i.e. Czecho-Israel etc).

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Be aware that the true "OEM" magazines are very difficult to find now ... I'm very glad that I didn't choose a gun with no mag, before reading about how the------ :( "cz mfg" -----mags constantly malfunction.
    When those "cz mfg" mags first came out, I bought 10 of them. When they arrived, I couldn't believe how poorly they compared to the crossed swords milsurp mags. When I called the vendor to arrange a return, I received all kinds of grief from the store that insisted they were "genuine" CZ/VZ mags made at the "same factory" as the original milsurp mags. Apparently, they were getting bombarded with refund requests and not very happy about it. I see many stores are more cautious when advertising these mags--often just showing a picture of the "cz mfg" or describing its location, rather than asserting it is genuine milsurp quality.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    Gun business owner Greg Cote responded to a question about them.

First, he confirmed that the 'true' OEM mags have been out of production for a while.

He then confirmed that many of the later OEM mags Don't have the "Crossed Swords" on the floorplates. I had read that in a few online discussions also.

Also note that some country(s) scraped away the crossed swords image on mags. This might have involved the Czech guns sold to Israel, or some of the LEO turn-ins (?). That could have been a delicate business as most countries refused to sell them weapons.

------The only consistent method to spot the Czech mags (seems to be) is to make sure that there is no welding/--seams-- on the forward and rear surfaces.

The modern imitation mags Always have --seams-- in photographs.
    But some clever sellers on Gunbroker and elsewhere:

A) Avoid photographs of the long sides with the seams, and
    B) Avoid any image or details of the floorplates.

Last edited:

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    The imitations are also slab sided, while the original milsurps have a dimple on the sides down low near the base plate...like the old Sig P226 or Beretta 92 mags.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    The imitations are also slab sided, while the original milsurps have a dimple on the sides down low near the base plate...like the old Sig P226 or Beretta 92 mags.
    There are some original mags with no dimple. 1st mag is factory with no dimple, dimpled mag, and a .32 acp mag.

Be aware that the true "OEM" magazines are very difficult to find now -- choose an 82/83 (.380) very carefully -not just due to today's really high prices for 9mm Mak ammo.

My 83 should ship in about a week, and I'm very glad that I didn't choose a gun with no mag, before reading
    about how the------ :( "cz mfg" -----mags constantly malfunction.

:)The correct mag should have two " crossed swords " on the floorplate, unless these were "scrubbed" during certain 'sensitive' business deals between various countries (i.e. Czecho-Israel etc).
    I've managed to acquire about 10 here and there. Aim Surplus had a sale a few years back for an original holster, mag carrier and original mag for $25.

Rare would be for the .32 acp version, those are impossible to find.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    If I implied that the new imitation have seams on the sides,

I meant on the mags' forward and rear surfaces. This is based on a number of photographs (if Allowed to be included in ads)
    I've compared, but as somebody indicated, there might be exceptions.

One quick indication of what is an 'OEM' CZ-82/83 mag has been the high 'starting price' for them, in auctions such as Gunbroker,
    and there are So Few available....but some seller will probably use a high price to fool people.

Sidenote on random Cleverness: my wife learned many years ago that with truly old antique furniture, they all have lots of very Tiny "worm holes", but clever people with "fake" old antiques sometimes use tiny drilled holes, which can fool people.

Note that worms in the late 1700s, early 1800s did not tend to make very straight, super clear holes when they chewed into wood --
    - but Drills usually make really precise, straight holes. :rolleyes:Don't underestimate peoples' originality with gun part 'fraud'.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I found a store that contracted somebody to manufacture several magazines, including the CZ82/83. It has a seam on the back, but not on the front. Its baseplate thicker than milsurp. Reviews seem to support them as reliable with just one report of a split developing along the rear seam. These are not marked CZ mfg and are not sold as mil surplus but new aftermarket.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I had a CZ-83 and traded it a long time ago. Wish I had it back.
    But, I miss the days of dirt cheap 9X18 ammo and guns. I had Maks, CZ's, Radom P-64's, P-63's, etc. Now, all I have left is about 20 rounds of 9X18 ammo that I came across a while back.

Top Bottom