• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chiefglocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Please go through the following story. Most of you might have heard it already.

Fort Worth (WBAP) - Fort Worth police on were searching for one of two men who tried to run over an officer investigating reports of drug use in an alley in the Stockyards district. One of the suspects was being treated for a gunshot wound inflicted by the officer or by an armed civilian who came to his aid.

At around 3 a.m. Thursday, a patrol officer investigating reports that two men were smoking drugs in a Mercedes Benz parked in an alley off North Main Street and West Exchange Avenue was nearly run over as the car sped away. He was not injured, but fired several shots at the car.

As the suspects drove out onto West Exchange, a bystander who thought the officer had been killed drew his own gun and fired at the passing Mercedes.

A few minutes later, a car matching the description of the Mercedes Benz pulled into a convenience store parking lot at I-35 and Yucca. The passenger, suffering a gunshot wound to the upper arm, got out of the car before the driver sped away. The injured man was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital, where he told investigators that the other man may have been hit in the leg.

Because the vehicle was being used as a weapon against a peace officer, the suspects may face charges of Criminal Attempted Capital Murder, said FW Police Sgt. Chad Mahaffey.

Now my question is what will happen to this Armed Citizen ? Was he supposed to shoot the guy in the Mercedes ? Was not he interfering into the police business ?
    Guns International

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Please go through the following story. Most of you might have heard it already.

Fort Worth (WBAP) - Fort Worth police on were searching for one of two men who tried to run over an officer investigating reports of drug use in an alley in the Stockyards district. One of the suspects was being treated for a gunshot wound inflicted by the officer or by an armed civilian who came to his aid.

At around 3 a.m. Thursday, a patrol officer investigating reports that two men were smoking drugs in a Mercedes Benz parked in an alley off North Main Street and West Exchange Avenue was nearly run over as the car sped away. He was not injured, but fired several shots at the car.

As the suspects drove out onto West Exchange, a bystander who thought the officer had been killed drew his own gun and fired at the passing Mercedes.

A few minutes later, a car matching the description of the Mercedes Benz pulled into a convenience store parking lot at I-35 and Yucca. The passenger, suffering a gunshot wound to the upper arm, got out of the car before the driver sped away. The injured man was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital, where he told investigators that the other man may have been hit in the leg.

Because the vehicle was being used as a weapon against a peace officer, the suspects may face charges of Criminal Attempted Capital Murder, said FW Police Sgt. Chad Mahaffey.

Now my question is what will happen to this Armed Citizen ? Was he supposed to shoot the guy in the Mercedes ? Was not he interfering into the police business ?

It certainly appears without any qualification that the FW police feel the use of deadly force by the citizen was justified. However, it will most likely be reviewed by the district attorney for a final disposition. Hopefully we can "chalk" one up for the good guys!!

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This will be up to the PD for the most part, I just hoped he excercised more restraint than that yahoo that shot up the street trying to catch the iPhone thieves a few weeks ago!

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    I wanna say I heard on another forum that the police were commending him for a job well done as far as
    coming to the officers aid.
    If that's the case I doubt the DA will so anything, unless it's just a legal formality
    that they have to go through.

chiefglocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Texas
    In this case Armed Citizen came to the aid of a police officer so the FWPD is commending him. But how the police officers react to when a citizen has to shoot in self defence ?
    I know there are several officer ( active or retired) in this forum so I want thier sincere comments.

Was not a citizen supposed to be put under arrest or some sort of detention under the circumtances ?

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    In this case Armed Citizen came to the aid of a police officer so the FWPD is commending him. But how the police officers react to when a citizen has to shoot in self defence ?
    I know there are several officer ( active or retired) in this forum so I want thier sincere comments.

Was not a citizen supposed to be put under arrest or some sort of detention under the circumtances ?

Obviously I can't speak for every DA office, but I do know that generally speaking DAs review all officer involved shootings, and most definitely, citizen shootings even in self defense and defense of others. As to whether or not a citizen is detained on the spot is dependent upon the circumstances I suspect. I am not an attorney.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    This will be up to the PD for the most part, I just hoped he excercised more restraint than that yahoo that shot up the street trying to catch the iPhone thieves a few weeks ago!

It doesn't appear that he shot at the tires. : P

So it seems that a couple of gange bangers tried to run over a cop. A bystander (assuming wh has his CHL) drew and fired at the gange bangers as they drove off. Seems reasonable to me, though I'm not a LEO or anything.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Here's a couple angles...The way I see it he's justified.

PC §9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.
    (a) A
    person is justified in using deadly force against another:
    (1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other
    under Section 9.31; and
    (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the
    deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use
    of unlawful deadly force; or
    (B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated
    kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery,
    or aggravated robbery.
    (b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force
    was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is
    presumed to be reasonable if the actor:
    (1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom
    the deadly force was used:
    (A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to
    enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle,
    or place of business or employment;
    (B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to
    remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation,
    vehicle, or place of business or employment; or
    (C) was committing or attempting to commit an offense
    described by Subsection (a)(2)(B);
    (2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used;
    and
    (3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a
    Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating
    traffic at the time the force was used.
    (c) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the
    deadly force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom
    the deadly force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at
    the time the deadly force is used is not required to retreat before using
    deadly force as described by this section.
    (d) For purposes of Subsection (a)(2), in determining whether an
    actor described by Subsection (c) reasonably believed that the use of

TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS 61
    deadly force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether
    the actor failed to retreat.
    PC §9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON.
    A person is justified in
    using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:
    (1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes
    them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in
    using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force
    or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the
    third person he seeks to protect; and
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately

necessary to protect the third person.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

There is no requirement to arrest ever, except for specific circumstances like family violence, violation of protective orders, etc. Especially in the case of what appears to be a clear case of a defense to prosecution arrests are often deferred to the Grand Jury.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok, so I have to ask, didn't the bystander shoot at the suspects after the incident with the officer was technically over? The law says to protect the third party and to stop the threat and all that, but the suspects were leaving the scene and nowhere does it state that they were turning around to make a second pass or shooting or anything. Maybe there is more to the story that I am not aware of, but from what is here, the bystander seems to have broken the law. Am I missing something?

Let me go on record as saying good for the bystander, and I am all for helping another citizen and especially LEOs. I would not press charges against him, and would vote to give him a medal. I cannot say I would do the same in these particular circumstances because the officer was not in immediate danger any longer at the time of the bystander shooting. I don't see this case as a legal shooting for defense, more like to stop the suspects from escaping, similiar to the iPhone case. Is there legal ground to stand on here?

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Could be the conversation went like this. " I saw them hit the officer with their car and they came speeding towards me. I was in fear for my life, I thought they were going to run me down, so I drew my gun and began firing to try and STOP them. I dove out of the way and they drove off."

A "reasonable person" would believe the threat existed, and that the use of deadly force was "immediately necessary".

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Could be the conversation went like this. " I saw them hit the officer with their car and they came speeding towards me. I was in fear for my life, I thought they were going to run me down, so I drew my gun and began firing to try and STOP them. I dove out of the way and they drove off."

A "reasonable person" would believe the threat existed, and that the use of deadly force was "immediately necessary".

Excellent!! I like simplicity!!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I could buy that response, if not for the above line. He fire at the car as it passed by, not as it drove toward him. Like I said, I am all for the bystander shooting the suspects, but this case just doesn't fit what I take as justifiable use of deadly force. The threat was over at the time he fired. I didn't think you could shoot at someone to keep them from leaving the scene of a crime, after the crime had occured. The bystander shot because he thought the officer had been killed. He himself was in no immediate danger, and the officer had already been hit, and the suspects were fleeing. It seems like he got off because the suspects had attacked an officer, not stolen an iPhone. I am just not seeing his legal defense, but understand his reasoning.

chiefglocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Here's a couple angles...The way I see it he's justified.

PC §9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.
    (a) A
    person is justified in using deadly force against another:
    (1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other
    under Section 9.31; and
    (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the
    deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use
    of unlawful deadly force; or
    (B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated
    kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery,
    or aggravated robbery.
    (b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force
    was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is
    presumed to be reasonable if the actor:
    (1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom
    the deadly force was used:
    (A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to
    enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle,
    or place of business or employment;
    (B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to
    remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation,
    vehicle, or place of business or employment; or
    (C) was committing or attempting to commit an offense
    described by Subsection (a)(2)(B);
    (2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used;
    and
    (3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a
    Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating
    traffic at the time the force was used.
    (c) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the
    deadly force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom
    the deadly force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at
    the time the deadly force is used is not required to retreat before using
    deadly force as described by this section.
    (d) For purposes of Subsection (a)(2), in determining whether an
    actor described by Subsection (c) reasonably believed that the use of

TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS 61
    deadly force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether
    the actor failed to retreat.
    PC §9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON.
    A person is justified in
    using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:
    (1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes
    them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in
    using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force
    or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the
    third person he seeks to protect; and
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately

necessary to protect the third person.

May I know where can I get this information from ?

Is it in Texas Conceal Handgun Law ( revised version) ?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

You dont have to lie about what happened. You have a fleeing suspect that has already shot a police officer, justification to return fire exists. No doubt the officer would have shot back if he could have.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You have a fleeing suspect that has already shot a police officer, justification to return fire exists.
    The story didn't say anything about the suspects having a gun or firing, but they did have a deadly weapon, the car. So if the police are shooting at a suspect, then you have the right to shoot at them also, even if you or the officer are no longer in immediate danger? So you have the right to use deadly force to keep a suspect from fleeing? I am not arguing or questioning anyones knowledge, but this does not make sense to me. Any specific law references here? Not that it is likely, but I'd like to know if this situation ever happens to me. I know about deadly force and immediate danger to me or a third party, but this case is different. Is this case one of those gray areas that the local prosecutor must decide?

On a side note, how could the bystander think the cop was dead if the cop was shooting?

Top Bottom