• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    You dont have to lie about what happened. You have a fleeing suspect that has already shot a police officer, justification to return fire exists. No doubt the officer would have shot back if he could have.

Well, I must of missed the part where they shot at the LEO, I thought they hit him with the car and he shot at them or vise versa. Either way, I would not be telling a lie if I was in the alley and witnessed this. After they hit him and got anywhere closer to me, I would reasonably feel that my life was in danger and I would have to take action accordingly. Fleeing felon would not even be a concern (that's a whole other ball game), it would be fear for my own life that would have every bullet I had flying towards that car.
    Military Camp

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    The story didn't say anything about the suspects having a gun or firing, but they did have a deadly weapon, the car. So if the police are shooting at a suspect, then you have the right to shoot at them also, even if you or the officer are no longer in immediate danger? So you have the right to use deadly force to keep a suspect from fleeing? I am not arguing or questioning anyones knowledge, but this does not make sense to me. Any specific law references here? Not that it is likely, but I'd like to know if this situation ever happens to me. I know about deadly force and immediate danger to me or a third party, but this case is different. Is this case one of those gray areas that the local prosecutor must decide?

On a side note, how could the bystander think the cop was dead if the cop was shooting?

YES.

I think you are heading down the right track with your thoughts on this one. That is why if I was there my concern would be for the car headed my direction, and my concern for my safety.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be concerned for the officer that had been hit and probably trying to end the fleeing, but....the way I see it, at the point the suspects are barreling down the alley towards me after running over a LEO , "My" personal safety plan will kick in. As you know, "legally" there is a difference.

Lastshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    This is an interesting thread, I would have to ponder on the legalities... but in that situation, you have to make a decision NOW. Evidently the guy made his to shoot. I wonder what he shot them with? how many times he shot? +1 on accuracy, moving car with two hits, evidently though the car door. I bet he scared the poop outta them anyway. How does one clean poop off of german leather?

Top Bottom