Gun Zone Deals

AR's the wave of the future....................

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Are AR's the wave or just a fad to be the cool or tacticool guy? Either way they'AR fun! I went against my better judgment and ordered a 7-08 AR10 barrel. Better judgment being not a fan of that caliber, let along the cartridge. A friend of mine has been shooting this cartridge for decades and it's his go-to kill all cartridge. With a 6.5prc AR10 barrel on order it'll be interesting getting it to shoot. IF it works out, then I'll be ordering more short mag AR barrels. I will be subjected to 2.830ish on length which isn't a big deal. What cartridges do some of you have that are not a normal chambering in AR's (10's or 15's).
    ARJ Defense ad

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Are AR's the wave or just a fad to be the cool or tacticool guy? Either way they'AR fun! I went against my better judgment and ordered a 7-08 AR10 barrel. Better judgment being not a fan of that caliber, let along the cartridge. A friend of mine has been shooting this cartridge for decades and it's his go-to kill all cartridge. With a 6.5prc AR10 barrel on order it'll be interesting getting it to shoot. IF it works out, then I'll be ordering more short mag AR barrels. I will be subjected to 2.830ish on length which isn't a big deal. What cartridges do some of you have that are not a normal chambering in AR's (10's or 15's).
    the AR platform has been the bee's knees since 1956, many have tried to replace it and many have failed and will fail.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    FAD? where have you been? The M - 16 was adopted in 1963 after McNamara halted production of the M - 14 in January 1963. The AR 15 was the semi auto version available in stores in 1964.
    Worth noting that the M14 was halted because Springfield built it on a house of cards and no one could build 2 good rifles in a row. Actual production had been stopped for a while at that point.

The M16 was intended to be a fad. A few guns to hold the military over until SPIW produced a workable design. 60 years later, not really a fad at that point.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Worth noting that the M14 was halted because Springfield built it on a house of cards and no one could build 2 good rifles in a row. Actual production had been stopped for a while at that point.

The M16 was intended to be a fad. A few guns to hold the military over until SPIW produced a workable design. 60 years later, not really a fad at that point.
    No.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Well now, that sure clears some smoke and myth for the venerable M14 for me.
    It was a government agency trying to justify it's existence. The Italians figured out how to modernize the M1 in like 4 years. It took us close to 20 to adopt the shortest lived service rifle in US history.

SA had to bring John C. Garand out of retirement multiple times because they screwed up his design in various ways.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    As a Marine enlistee in May 1967, I trained with the M-14 all summer in San Diego and Camp Pendleton including the range. Once in 'Nam in October I was issued an M-16 with no training on it. I looked at it and thought what is this? Somewhere I learned the basics of it but it damn sure wasn't the same. That it wasn't nearly as heavy as the M-14 was a big plus. It was plastic and felt like a toy

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    It was a government agency trying to justify it's existence. The Italians figured out how to modernize the M1 in like 4 years. It took us close to 20 to adopt the shortest lived service rifle in US history.

SA had to bring John C. Garand out of retirement multiple times because they screwed up his design in various ways.
    It is a story emblematic of so many governmental agencies who's energy is mostly spent justifying their existence rather than achieving their stated goal, and sunset, once completed.

Top Bottom