• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    It ain't sugar. I gave that up 15 years ago.
    Weird. At 17yo, my knees were agonizing. No comfort. Ever.
    I quit running. They quit hurting. My knees are still paon free.
    This "grip" stuff just kinda showed up.
    Years of cutting conductors with pliers are catching up with me, I'm afraid.

Keep the comments coming.

From a recent motorcycle accident I now have arthritis in two fingers on my left hand. I have been using two different hand exercises and Aleeve. For exercise to increase hand strength I am using a set of grip vises and a weight roll up bar. Been working well so far but the key is not to let your hands sit idle and strengthen your muscles. Aleeve seems to be working the best so far.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Last edited:

TexasSix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2015
    West Texas
    I keep a small stress ball in my truck. Use it while driving to and from work. Not real hard to squeeze but about 100 reps or so in each hand. At 67 years old, seems to be keeping my hands in fair shape. Did a lot of cutting with kleins and tin snips for over 40 years, so I know how you feel.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I keep a small stress ball in my truck. Use it while driving to and from work. Not real hard to squeeze but about 100 reps or so in each hand. At 67 years old, seems to be keeping my hands in fair shape. Did a lot of cutting with kleins and tin snips for over 40 years, so I know how you feel.

That sounds like a good idea.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    My finger joint pain wasn't as bad when I visited Fla last week. Also seems a little better this week since more moisture has moved into my area. May have to give the glucosamine pills a try. Does wonders for Charlie, my 7 year old King Charles Cavalier.

Ralph_Kirk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2014
    My knees and left hip started causing me pain running in my 20s. I switched to road cycling that carried me into my 50s. At this point in my 60s, the pain especially in my hip is bad enough to "adversely affect quality of life."

I tried Advil, Aleve, Glucosamine, et cetera. Know what worked--and worked like freaking gangbusters?

Tart cherry extract. Actually, even just plain black cherries work. You can eat 50 or so cherries a day, and gout or arthritis pain will be gone.

Or you can buy tart cherry capsules just about anywhere that sells vitamins. I've experimented with several doses and find that one capsule in the morning and one in the evening does better than the four Aleve per day I was taking. In fact, they're perfect--zero pain at all. It doesn't seem to work for muscle pain, but it's a miracle with joint pain.

I'm not a big homeopathic medicine guy, and I was doubtful about something so simple being effective. But I'm a believer now.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    My knees and left hip started causing me pain running in my 20s. I switched to road cycling that carried me into my 50s. At this point in my 60s, the pain especially in my hip is bad enough to "adversely affect quality of life."

I tried Advil, Aleve, Glucosamine, et cetera. Know what worked--and worked like freaking gangbusters?

Tart cherry extract. Actually, even just plain black cherries work. You can eat 50 or so cherries a day, and gout or arthritis pain will be gone.

Or you can buy tart cherry capsules just about anywhere that sells vitamins. I've experimented with several doses and find that one capsule in the morning and one in the evening does better than the four Aleve per day I was taking. In fact, they're perfect--zero pain at all. It doesn't seem to work for muscle pain, but it's a miracle with joint pain.

I'm not a big homeopathic medicine guy, and I was doubtful about something so simple being effective. But I'm a believer now.

Thanks ... at 72, with the usual painkillers not an option, I'll try anything to keep on tickin'.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Interesting first post, Ralph. Welcome... I'm going to check out this cherry thing. I wonder if black cherry trees will grow here?

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    IF you are interested in Krill oil with HA, our Lakeline Bed Bath and Beyond had their Schiff brand(some) on clearance. You could try a months supply of Krill w/HA for sixteen bucks...well worth it if it works! I usually buy it at Walgreen's or CVS when it's BOGO...ends up about the same price as the BBB clearance. Also, their are store brand options at CVS and Walgreen's from time to time. About $28/bottle and the BOGO sales often apply. I've actually been taking 2X the recommended dosage for about 6 months, but will cut back to closer to normal. I weigh 245#, so I figured I'm about TWO normal people anyway! The Krill is a good way to get more Omega 3 without extra Omega 6&9...more effective than fish oil or flax seed oil, I believe. I can't figure any other change in my nutrition that would explain my current 99% pain-free existence for the last few months. I do take Allopurinol which is supposed to regulate Uric Acid levels, so that may be a factor as well.

BTW, I have tried the Tart Cherry Extract and another extract combo during severe joint pain attacks(over a year ago, thank goodness). Can't say I noticed any benefit, but the side effects are nothing for most people...worth a try if you can add it to the budget. Fresh tart cherries should be better; but they can also be BITTER ;).

Check out Puritan's Pride or VitaCost for online deals on supplements.
    http://link.nbty.com/YesConnect/ShareThis?a=jiV4Ueqtq3KLeYGuIk60Wi
    http://www.vitacost.com/vitaminsand...ementstop&_mid=441601&_rid=441601.67602.10302

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Thanks ... at 72, with the usual painkillers not an option, I'll try anything to keep on tickin'.

I'm a decade behind you; but I had a touch of polio as a youngster AND spent 30+ years on the tennis court, not to mention the three screws holding one foot together.
    Give the Krill Oil with Hyaluronic Acid a try for a month(might not take that long). The Omega 3 is something we need anyway and the HA should just supplement what it naturally present in our bodies. Some days I just marvel at the lack of pain in my joints ;)

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'm a decade behind you; but I had a touch of polio as a youngster AND spent 30+ years on the tennis court, not to mention the three screws holding one foot together.
    Give the Krill Oil with Hyaluronic Acid a try for a month(might not take that long). The Omega 3 is something we need anyway and the HA should just supplement what it naturally present in our bodies. Some days I just marvel at the lack of pain in my joints ;)

Love to be able to do that.
    I take an Omega 3 supplement, but was considering the Krill Oil plus the acid as a replacement.

Here's the one I'd looked at before: Omega 3 Krill Oil Hyaluronic Acid and Astaxanthin

Thanks for the info!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Randall's has huge bottles of fish oil for $18.99 and often have BOGO sales on them. Cheapest I've seen anywhere. I take them because it helps with dry eyes, but supposedly they are good for other reasons too.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy

Thank you!

I've been taking tart cherry pills (2/day) for less than a month and it's been helping. I walked a lot yesterday and my feet didn't hurt at all. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040USG8O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I have arthritis in my hands as well.

I take 2 big pills a day of Happy Valley (available at Walmart) Chondroitin/Glucosamine. This stuff works.

Initially, I took them for a scoped knee that hurt every time I pedaled my bike. I would have to ice it for 20 minutes on my return home.

Then I started taking the CC pills. It took 6 months for them to start helping. I had been advised it might take 3 months, but nothing was happening at 3 months. So, I persevered and kept taking them. Now, no more swelling or icing needed.

Recently, I started taking 1 - 15 mg Meloxicam pill daily. This is an NSAID prescribed by my family doctor.

You might give the CC pills a try, but don't expect over night results.

JoeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    I take 2 Osteo-BiFlex pills every day and wasn't sure it was doing any good until I stopped taking them for awhile. I really began to hurt when I stopped taking the Osteo-Biflex and it took 2 or 3 weeks for it to kick in again. I will try some of the other remedies mentioned to see if they might help more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom