• ...and so much more!
  • Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I am still amazed that not much attention has been given to the real reason for the Sandy Hook shooting. A mother allowed her child who had a condition known as aspergers syndrome to have access to firearms. Whether he found some keys or knew the combination to a safe is irrelevant. Those are some of the things that a responsible gun owner should keep from children and those who have the mentality of a child. I have seen a number of patients with various levels of this condition. Everyone of them should never be allowed to have any kind of access to firearms unsupervised. Personally no patient I have ever seen should be allowed to use them anyway. I applaud the mother for reaching out and trying to expose her child to the world but in my personal opinion firearms were not a good choice for a person with this condition. just my two cents worth.
    Target Sports

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I dunno I know several people with this condition, and while they're a little off, it's just social not actual crazy. (That being said its just mild cases)

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    This person knew right form wrong and was just an evil person.

Plenty of folks have mental condition, very few go off and kill a bunch of kids.

I know a few folks with Aspergers and it's insulting to them that that folks think the disability was the reason this happened.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    As a parent of a child with Autism, I understand where you are coming from but also realize that Asperger's is a broad spectrum of verbal and communication skills difficulties. I would not broad-brush the disorder as automatically denying someone affected by it access to firearms. It is very individual dependent and such decisions should be made on a case-by-case basis.

That said, my son has never shown any interest in firearms. I don't think he would do well with the loud noises associated with shooting even with hearing protection, nor do I think he has the attention skills required to safely and accurately shoot a firearm. That may change as he gets older, but for the time being I have no plans to introduce him to the sport.

However, I have met other kids with Asperger's/Autism that are fully capable of shooting with supervision.

I don't attribute what Adam Lanza did to his Autism, the young man had other mental disorders that drove him to kill. Autism is a brain-related developmental problem and not a mental illness, and the predatory aggression demonstrated by Lanza in this rampage is generally not seen in the autistic population.

Here is a good article on the subject...

Adam Lanza Asperger’s: Can autism explain the Sandy Hook tragedy? - Slate Magazine

Cheers! M2

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am still amazed that not much attention has been given to the real reason for the Sandy Hook shooting. A mother allowed her child who had a condition known as aspergers syndrome to have access to firearms. Whether he found some keys or knew the combination to a safe is irrelevant. Those are some of the things that a responsible gun owner should keep from children and those who have the mentality of a child. I have seen a number of patients with various levels of this condition. Everyone of them should never be allowed to have any kind of access to firearms unsupervised. Personally no patient I have ever seen should be allowed to use them anyway. I applaud the mother for reaching out and trying to expose her child to the world but in my personal opinion firearms were not a good choice for a person with this condition. just my two cents worth.

The Left and MSM are way more concerned about banning the tools used than addressing the reasons it happened. Teaching about a mental condition does nothing to further their antigun agenda.

These nutjobs that do these shootings are heros to the Left. Anything to help their cause is a good thing. The true reasons for these horrible decisions by these shooters are of no consequence.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    As a parent of a child with Autism, I understand where you are coming from but also realize that Asperger's is a broad spectrum of verbal and communication skills difficulties. I would not broad-brush the disorder as automatically denying someone affected by it access to firearms. It is very individual dependent and such decisions should be made on a case-by-case basis.

That said, my son has never shown any interest in firearms. I don't think he would do well with the loud noises associated with shooting even with hearing protection, nor do I think he has the attention skills required to safely and accurately shoot a firearm. That may change as he gets older, but for the time being I have no plans to introduce him to the sport.

However, I have met other kids with Asperger's/Autism that are fully capable of shooting with supervision.

I don't attribute what Adam Lanza did to his Autism, the young man had other mental disorders that drove him to kill. Autism is a brain-related developmental problem and not a mental illness, and the predatory aggression demonstrated by Lanza in this rampage is generally not seen in the autistic population.

Here is a good article on the subject...

Adam Lanza Asperger’s: Can autism explain the Sandy Hook tragedy? - Slate Magazine

Cheers! M2

I agree mostly, My main premise is that those firearms should have been made more secure. There is such a great range of functioning with autism and it seems in this particular instance with his other mental disorders the mother should have been more responsible.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I am still amazed that not much attention has been given to the real reason for the Sandy Hook shooting. A mother allowed her child who had a condition known as aspergers syndrome to have access to firearms.

Making such a broad statement like that is just like those who are wanting to regulate my ownership of guns.

Neither come from an informed point of view.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    It's a slippery slope to blame the disorder. I know folks with Aspergers and they aren't "crazy". The problem is the lack of treatment and available treatment. In addition the social stigma that comes with having a mental disorder. 1 in 4 Americans has one but everyone is labeled "crazy" which is not the case.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Aspergers, Bi-polar, Depression ... most mental disorders are treatable and most who are aflicted with such diseases are automatically labeled even though they live normal, productive lives.

Barry Green

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    I agree mostly, My main premise is that those firearms should have been made more secure. There is such a great range of functioning with autism and it seems in this particular instance with his other mental disorders the mother should have been more responsible.
    Hi Driller,

I have to say, I was taken aback and shocked at your first post. This clarification makes it better, but to lump people with Asperger's in with someone like Adam Lanza is profoundly unfair and unwarranted.

There are millions and millions of people on the autistic spectrum who are just fine with firearms, personal responsibility, and know the difference between "good" and "evil". Heck, look at the "gifted and talented" program at any school. Aspergers (which, by the way, isn't even a diagnosis anymore) is a condition frequently related to social awkwardness but also gifted intelligence.

Branding people with Aspergers as unfit to own firearms is about as reasonable as those who used to discriminate against left-handed people. It's totally unwarranted.

But as to your last sentence -- absolutely. Had Mrs. Lanza kept her firearms locked up, she (and 26 other people) might very well be alive today. And a serious threat to the individual right to bear arms might have been avoided. Connecticut does have safe storage laws, but they seem to apply to minors (under 16) and Lanza was 20, so maybe they wouldn't have applied. But clearly she, more than anyone, should have been aware of the threat or the potential threat and should have taken every responsible action possible.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX

Not defending her or her actions because I do believe this was a straight case of piss poor parenting. But he didn't find the keys or find a combo, He had to beat his mother unconscious while she was asleep to get the keys that were around her neck and then come back and kill her. This kid was just an evil person with no remorse for what he did.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    My godson is on the A_A spectrum, and is one who is "awkward but brilliant". But he ALSO has had intensive therapy for the IMPULSE CONTROL that goes along with the syndrome.
    Maybe impulses dont correlate w persistent, predatory violency (occcasional outbursts, sure) that a killer of 20+ people would have had to demonstrate. but impulse control is part of the syndrome.
    C-

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    My niece has Aspergers pretty heavily. We take her to the range on family trips. From what I have seen, she's not very interested in anything more than watching how her parents do when shooting. She would rather be occupied with her video games when at home and we are cleaning guns. So I would agree that the Aspergers has zero to do with that tragedy.

Sent while trying to concentrate on 6 things at once.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Allow me to offer a slightly different take on the issue of Aspies and guns. My daughter's boyfriend has been diagnosed with Asperger's, although by most measures he's a pretty normal acting kid. However, I would never let him near a firearm without very strict supervision. Why? The kid is a klutz - he has a real knack for injuring himself and breaking things. Impaired motor skills and clumsiness are common symptoms of the syndrome, and the thought of him trying to handle a firearm makes me want to duck under the desk. Please understand; in no way am I saying that he should be prevented from owning a firearm when he's of age, just that he'll need more safety training and practice than most people to handle one safely.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    But as to your last sentence -- absolutely. Had Mrs. Lanza kept her firearms locked up, she (and 26 other people) might very well be alive today.
    This is out of line... She DID keep them locked up. He surprised her while she slept, beat her to death, and stole the key which she wore around her neck.

FYI, Asperger's is about to stop being classified as a disease. Looks like it's not going to be in the next DSM.
    Probably a good thing... It's been too broadly used in my opinion. Some people that have been diagnosed with it have serious issues, for others it's a clinical excuse to be an asshole.

Top Bottom