• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    Not meaning to derail the thread, but since we’re talking about Academy. What’s the deal with them no longer advertising guns in their Sunday ad? They had some really good deals from time to time. I’m gonna assume their trying to lay low because of all the gun grab talk.
    Lynx Defense

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Camp out, make them sit on the overpriced ammo. Just don't ask for help from any form of gov't. We all know where that will lead. And if enough people complain, the cry for help will be answered.

Agreed. I'm not paying the stupid prices at the gun show or some of the LGSs. I'm camping out at Academy at 7am, and if I make the cut, fine. If not, thats OK too. I'll have another chance later in the week or the weekend. I don't put up with line cutters though. I chewed a guy out who rushed the door one morning. I also politely tell people whose friends show up at the last minute that they need to get to the back of the line, and they politely oblige. I can understand the wives sitting in the car until the last minute, and I can't say much about it. My wife wouldn't make the trip out to Academy with me to buy ammo (and I'm fine with that).

What people do with the ammo after the fact really isn't our business. In a free market economy, they can do whatever they want with the ammo they buy. However, they are taking the risk that they may not be able to find a buyer, etc. I've resold some ammo, not at a big markup (making around 10-15%) and I've used that money to pay for my range fees, gun show admission, etc. I'm certainly not getting rich, but I'm not going to drive all over the city to sell ammo at cost either.

Angeleyes

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not meaning to derail the thread, but since we’re talkingabout Academy. What’s the deal with them no longer advertising guns in theirSunday ad? They had some really good deals from time to time. I’m gonna assume their trying to lay lowbecause of all the gun grab talk.
    i notice that too for a while there werent any gun adverts but i think i saw some this or last week in the ad.

RugerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Some of the resell prices make me sick to my stomach.. if people stopped buying prices would drop.. that's why I refuse to purchase from any reseller

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    I won't mention which Academy it was, because I don't feel that's fair to them, they aren't the problem. I've got a solution that involves being the first 4 people in line, on their next shipment :)

If people could act like civilized human beings life would be so much better, but if people want to play asshole, I've got that card down myself.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Not meaning to derail the thread, but since we’re talking about Academy. What’s the deal with them no longer advertising guns in their Sunday ad? They had some really good deals from time to time. I’m gonna assume their trying to lay low because of all the gun grab talk.

No need to pay for advertising on products that sell themselves. Besides, you got 800 pairs of shoes and 3 rifles with a truckload of shoes coming in tomorrow.
    Nothing to do with political climate, just business 101.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin

I figured it had more to do with lack of inventory than anything. They've been pretty much cleaned out of almost everything but shotguns the last several times I've been to the one near me.

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Academy needs to take a lesson from other retailers that manage black Friday "campers". GIVE OUT NUMBERS to those in line. Then sell ONLY TO THOSE WITH NUMBERS. For example: husband stands in line and gets a number. Wife comes later and does not get a number (even after joining husband in line). Husband gets to buy, wife does not.

Not a perfect system, but fairer that the alternatives.

PS - hopefully things will be back to normal soon. I remember this same mess in 2008.

filmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    San Antonio area
    If people could act like civilized human beings life would be so much better...[/QUOTE said:
    Seems to be a lot more of that going on lately. Might just be my perception, but I hear other folks saying the same thing. Wish I had a clue why...

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I cant stand how people are acting. I don't have time to stand in line before a store opens. But...the people buying for high prices on gunbroker are doing this to themselves and us.

I've been selling ammo to friends for what I paid for it before all of this stupidity. Going to give a friend a mag tomorrow. What is wrong with people? And I don't want to here..."its free market capitalism, supply and demand". Thanks for the econ lesson, now lets stop pretending we are the monopoly man and be nice to one another.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    I cant stand how people are acting. I don't have time to stand in line before a store opens. But...the people buying for high prices on gunbroker are doing this to themselves and us.

I've been selling ammo to friends for what I paid for it before all of this stupidity. Going to give a friend a mag tomorrow. What is wrong with people? And I don't want to here..."its free market capitalism, supply and demand". Thanks for the econ lesson, now lets stop pretending we are the monopoly man and be nice to one another.

I may have found another source for the bucket o'bullets, if this order goes smoothly, I'll be placing a large order of them, and make them available to forum members at cost. I will update everyone, and start a thread for it as the transaction progresses.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I've given up even looking at Academy or anywhere for that matter. Been pretty successful with online bulk orders at or below the prices at Academy on certain calibers and not too much over it on others.

arordonez84

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    At Walmart you have guys almost camped out waiting for ammo to be placed on the shelf I made small talk with one there asked what was his setup he stated " I do not have one just buying ammo to resale" I just shook my head and walked away. Then you have people like this older gentleman stated he is a sheriff and cant get ammo to practice with. I will give you a tip I just got a case of UMC 250 rounds of 45ACP for $102 go to Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. go to sporting outdoors then hunting then ammo it will give a list of all the ammo they update inventory every 6-12hrs click to find in other stores it will search 50miles around you to see if any place has it if you check at 6am that way you know which store to go to and if its 11PM and you show them there is ammo in the back they have to get it for you if you have any questions PM i can help you out show you were to go or what to click on just PM me

Top Bottom