• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    it is pretty neat... I'm not sure I like the switch that selects the mag tubs, tho. I'd rather it just automatically alternate between the tubes as you pump.
    Venture Surplus ad

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    it is pretty neat... I'm not sure I like the switch that selects the mag tubs, tho. I'd rather it just automatically alternate between the tubes as you pump.

Being able to manually switch is a tactically superior option. Being able to choose between a tube of frangibles for indoors or lead 00 for outdoors would be pretty dynamic!

Does this thing accept magnums?

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Being able to manually switch is a tactically superior option. Being able to choose between a tube of frangibles for indoors or lead 00 for outdoors would be pretty dynamic!
    I understand that, but I'm not part of an entry team. I would just load the whole thing up with low recoil buck and not have to worry about what ammo to use in which situation.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I understand that, but I'm not part of an entry team. I would just load the whole thing up with low recoil buck and not have to worry about what ammo to use in which situation.

Maybe so, but if an intruder is hiding behind something in your house, it sure would be nice to know one could flip a switch & light him up with slugs, lol....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

If you're going to use a shotgun in any defensive role, you're going to have to worry about just that. Shotguns are way more complex to run correctly than people realize.

How far is your shotgun and chosen load's pattern good before pellets start going off target? Some shotguns with certain loads, it's as close as 30 feet. Depending on how your house is laid out, that's a possible shot (I have some that long in my house). I know how far my set up is good for (just over 20 yards) before I need to swap out to slugs. Do you? I know how to quickly swap out to a slug. Do you? I have my shotgun set up to allow me to rapidly swap in a slug. Do you?

There are other situations where you may want to swap in a slug. Have to shoot past or near a family member? I'd much rather send a slug that direction, personally.

If you're going to use a shotgun in a defensive role, these are things that need to be thought out sooner rather than later. The last thing you need is buckshot (or any other chunk of metal, really) going past the target and finding someone else to hit. Knowing your pattern will give you confidence if you need to use a shotgun inside an occupied building, and it can save you from making a life-altering mistake in that situation. This dovetails in with knowing how and when to change ammunition, and the ability to do it rapidly.

There are reasons why I prefer carbines like an AR or AK for home defense. This is one of them. With a carbine (heck, even a .30-30 lever gun would work great), it's much simpler. Beyond initial ammo selection and preferably a light (every home defense weapon should have a tactical light), there isn't a lot to worry about beyond "sight on target, squeeze, reassess and repeat as needed".

The great thing about this magazine switch capability is that there is a lot less training that you'll need to do. Using snap caps, I've practiced select slug drills for hours. I'll practice until my arms and shoulders are sore the next day. And that's how much it needs to be practiced to get good at it, to be honest. The possibility of just flipping a switch and racking the slide is exciting after all that work.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    i was told that if i had a shotgun I didnt have to aim, just point it in their direction and they would go down? that is if they hung around after they heard the scary sound when the slide gets racked.

LMAO

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    i was told that if i had a shotgun I didnt have to aim, just point it in their direction and they would go down? that is if they hung around after they heard the scary sound when the slide gets racked.

LMAO

I have done a lot of pattern board shooting with oo, 4buck, and slugs. 18" barrel and long barrel. Even with my cylinder 18" barrel from 30 feet, the 00 stays pretty tight.
    So no, even a shotgun needs a little aim. Shooting from the hip takes pratice..

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You want to know the most hilarious thing when it comes to shotguns? Take Art of the Dynamic Shotgun. Hands down the most comprehensive and high end training video from people that know their stuff. After all the hours of video, drills, techniques, gear setup sections, etc guess what? At the very end of the video the last thing Chris and Travis say is that they wouldn't actually choose to run a shotgun as opposed to a handgun or rifle, and they wouldn't really recommend anyone else do so. This is what we call a clue. ;) lol I got such a big laugh out of that. M.Sage is right that the shotgun is a truly intensive system to keep up and running. It requires more manipulation more often than any other weapon, and it is even harder to do so. A good quality semi auto (Benelli) goes a long way towards alleviating some of these issues, but best case you still have quite a few down sides (extreme over penetration, low capacity, etc). I'd take an AR with the right ammo all day over a shotgun for home defense.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I started learning how to run a shotgun at age 12. My first gun was a 20 gauge Ithaca for my 14th birthday. I'm not the end-all be-all of shotgun knowledge, but I've been around the block a couple of times. I started learning the AR about three years ago, the AK about five. I'd choose either over a system that I started learning over 20 years ago as my go-to in a defensive situation.

Carbines are simple - sight, squeeze, repeat until it goes click or the threat is gone. More than likely, an engagement is going to involve snapping the rifle up, getting a dot over center of mass and giving the trigger three quick tugs. Poppoppop, and it's time to break out the mop.

Shotguns, you have to worry about pattern, is he close enough for buck, should I use a slug? Are there people downrange that you need to avoid shooting? Swapping out to a slug, avoiding a short-stroke on a pump (if you remember to pump it at all under life-or-death stress), dealing with the weight (my 870 is a front-heavy beast when it's loaded with 00 buck), the bulk and the recoil.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have done a lot of pattern board shooting with oo, 4buck, and slugs. 18" barrel and long barrel. Even with my cylinder 18" barrel from 30 feet, the 00 stays pretty tight.
    So no, even a shotgun needs a little aim. Shooting from the hip takes pratice..

I am relatively certain that Eric's (texascop2) post was LOADED with sarcasm....

I believe that shot spreads about 1 inch per yard, so at 10 yards, one would have a 10" spread.....of course there are many factors to
    consider, but this is generally a good rule to follow.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I know how far my set up is good for (just over 20 yards) before I need to swap out to slugs. Do you?
    I wouldn't want to shoot past 15 yards or so with mine if there was something nearby I didn't want hit with buckshot. Basically, any distance in my house would be fine.

I know how to quickly swap out to a slug. Do you?
    Yes, but I don't practice that so it wouldn't be "fast"

I have my shotgun set up to allow me to rapidly swap in a slug. Do you?
    Nope

Have to shoot past or near a family member? I'd much rather send a slug that direction, personally.
    My daughter has implicit instructions to fight with everything she's got if someone is trying to grab her or if someone has her and is trying to drag her off to go totally limp. She's pretty darn proficient with her tae kwon do and sleeps with a knife under her pillow. I don't have to worry about her being used as a human shield.

There are reasons why I prefer carbines like an AR or AK for home defense.
    I agree here... I'm a rifle guy.

Top Bottom