Join TexasGunTalk

At the range what distance do you practice most at?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by NewToTX, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Kar98

Kar98 Well-Known

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    If you're calling me a blind swine, then... well I guess I do resemble that remark, lol.

2. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    With young eyes, good technique, the proper equipment, and good ammo, it's possible to consistently hold 1 MOA with a pistol.

The pistols look like this:

Fz69uXK.jpg

...and until you've shot one, you can't understand what's possible.

Oh, and those snuff cans? The last time I saw an IHMSA shoot-off using snuff cans was before the rules were changed to require target-shaped targets for shoot-offs. In the early days, anything could be used as a target to break ties. Anyway, the last time I saw it done, the snuff cans were painted orange and laid flat on the rail. The visible target was less than three inches wide and less than an inch tall. The winner hit 3 of 5 in 2 minutes.

Here's a more normal shoot. These targets are about 5 inches across the body, being shot at 200 meters with iron-sight pistols. Note the banter; the shooters are taking note of POI changes of an inch or two as if those are significant. Why? Because they are significant. Shooters at this level expect to be able to hit something half this size every time. These chickens, under good conditions, are virtual "gimmes" for shooters who are on top of their game.

If you don't believe snuff cans at 200 can be hit more often than not with iron-sight handguns, from position, then you haven't spent enough time around people who know how to shoot.

Vaquero likes this.
  3. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Why I bought a Dan Wesson 15-2 pistol pac in the 1st place.
    Thanks Ben.

Dawico likes this.
  4. Kosh75287

Kosh75287 Active Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    3 to 50 yards, but not the same amount of rounds at each. 75 - 80% of MY practice is at 3 to 20 yards. The rest is at 25 & 50. I try to shoot small groups at longer ranges, then speed it up, if I can.

Of course, when the question of "practice" comes up in a section marked "handguns", the context that comes to MY mind is skills practice with a defensive pistol, from arm's length to about 50 yards. I CAN hit with my EDC beyond 50 yards, but I'm afraid that no snuf-can need fear me from 200 yards out.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    TxStetson likes this.
  5. wmullis0

wmullis0 New Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Nc
    That’s not a pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag likes this.
  6. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Popcorn

7. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!

Apr 27, 2016
    Lantana
    I change distance after every ten rounds and I shoot at 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25yds. Not in order, but random distances until I've shot at them all, then with whatever additional ammo I have I continue to vary distances until I'm satisfied with my results. Our shooting league matches are 5 rounds of different distances, each round of 10 shots in 15 seconds. Sometimes 5, change mags, then 5 more in 20 seconds. At distances we do not know until just before that round. Last Friday night, I shot a 500 out of 500. 6 inch circle = 10pts, next circle out 8, 5, 3, 0. In last months match I shot 496/500. I practice to what i compete! btw, Canik TP9sfx with Burris FastFire III.

8. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    I like to practice at the 3 yd line. Then I don't miss the paper as often.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

V-Tach likes this.
  9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's so cute.

I've heard the same thing said about free pistols, rapid fire pistols, AR-pattern pistols, mini-revolvers, Deagles, and plenty of others.

They're all pistols; they're just built to accomplish different tasks.

10. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    3-25 yards.......
    When shooting at the DPS range in Florence a few weeks ago, they had us shoot at 50...qualified with my New Agent w/3 inch barrel. Did pretty well...

ZX9RCAM likes this.