Patriot Mobile

ATF letter clarifying manufacturing and gunsmithing (AR 80% builds mostly)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Argh! Who are these people asking the ATF for permission!?

I would bet that some of this stems from the Ares Armory fiasco. Some probably comes from monitoring sites like BARFCOM and I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the letters sent to them are from "Concerned Citizens" that troll gun websites and see stuff posted and then write to the ATF in the disguise of someone "asking permission".

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I wonder about renting gear, like at TechShop or some place similar. Would that be permissible?

Does not seem so...

-
    -
    Held further,
    a business (including an association or society) may not avoid the
    manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing
    persons to perform manufacturing processes on blanks or incomplete firearms (including frames

or receivers) using machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion and control where that
    business controls access to, and use of, such machinery, tools, or equipment.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    This is so screwed up, as it is also now hindering the ability of people to build form 1 suppressors as well as 80% lowers. I really hope congress decides to reign in the power these ATF clowns seem to have taken upon themselves. Our better yet take sbrs and cans out of the gca.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Seems this is just a bureaucratic technicality. What's to stop someone from selling the jig, then buying it back at some future point in time?

A) "Hey, I need a jig, drill press, etc. again, any chance I could buy it back from you for the exact same price I sold it to you?"
    B) "Sure, I'm not using it anymore. Got out of manufacturing for myself."

Repeat as desired.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Seems this is just a bureaucratic technicality. What's to stop someone from selling the jig, then buying it back at some future point in time?

A) "Hey, I need a jig, drill press, etc. again, any chance I could buy it back from you for the exact same price I sold it to you?"
    B) "Sure, I'm not using it anymore. Got out of manufacturing for myself."

Repeat as desired.

Wanna know why he goes by "Brains"?

Top Bottom