• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've posted that at least a half-dozen times on here, including once in this thread
    who-are-you-again.png
    DK Firearms

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Small new gun shop just opened on 620 west of Round Rock - $15 FFL transfer fee:

http://www.saddlerockarmory.com/

Whoa, that place is 5 minutes from my house. I will need to check them out.

That place is WAY too close to the new Dairy Queen...AND the guy's name is HUNTER ! Perfect for a gun shop!
    Check for the funky hours, though...Mon-Wed by appointment only, limited hours otherwise. Interesting!

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Gotta think he's not getting a break on the rent for the days his store is dark. Yikes!

Yet you'd need to sell quite a bit of stuff per day just to break even on having an employee there to keep it open. You have to expect to not break even for a while... but strangling your cash flow is dangerous. Hopefully the online sales pay off... literally.

bubbadog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2015
    Tax on FFL transfers

TheDan;13184 Do they charge tax for out of state purchases/transfers? 75 said:

Do they charge sales tax too or just the transfer fee? Some FFL's are showing tax collected...

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    'My' range charges sales tax on the transfer fee...same way they charge sales tax on the range fee.

As long as the state doesn't implement some blanket sales tax collecting policy affecting shipments from out of state, I'm good. I know local businesses hate having that 8.25% ball and chain hanging around.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    It is my understanding that they have to (or at least they are supposed to) charge sales tax on the transfer fee. I haven't done one in a while but I seem to remember when GT was doing them for $10 a few years ago, they charge me like $10.80 or something. Other places charged a flat $15 or $20, so I assume the tax was built into the quoted fee.

If they're collecting sales tax on the gun, that's probably not legal. The purchaser is responsible for paying use tax to the Comptroller, not the FFL holder who is only serving as a transfer agent, not a seller.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    That's what I meant. They don't charge sales tax on the firearm. The FFL fee is a flat $25, so maybe the tax for that is calculated in already.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    There is no requirement for an FFL to collect sales tax on a transfer. It is neither a sale nor a use and does not fall under the Texas Comptroller's requirements to collect on. FFLs that do collect sales tax on transfers either don't know they don't have to, or are adding the extra into their own pocket.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom