Texas SOT

Austin Liberal Whinging About High Taxes.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    "my parents use a service in Harris county to dispute their taxes." I've heard aout that. maybe it was you who told me ?!? someone told me about it within the last 2 months. IMO the Williamson county lib population is growing with the influx from Cali, Mass, NY, Ausin (lol) etc etc.
    I don't believe it was me but I can certainly get the info for you and see if they recommend someone up here.

Ive been here 8 years and am strongly considering moving back to Houston. The honeymoon with Austin is over for me. Skyrocketing utilities prices, incessant traffic and in general idiots like the subject of this thread. In my line of work I have to drive all day long and I can cover less and less ground every year because I spend more and more time in traffic. August will be 3 years Ive lived in Kyle, I used to walk out the door at 630 int he morning, I now have walk out at 610 to get to the office at the same time. That's just 3 years, Id hate to see what its like in 5 more years.
    That joint has turned into a joke. Ive had probably 20 recruiters call me for positions there. No thanks. Rolling annual 10% layoffs? Hell of a staffing model!
    A buddy of mine works there in sales. He started out with corporate sales then moved over to government sales. Apparently they do let a lot of people go but if youre a good salesman you can make a lot of money and youre safe. He could talk to a fence post and become friends with it, I do not have that sort of "gift for gab" so Id never make it as a salesman but if you are I could get you his number to at least get his real opinion on it.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Re: Dell im not in the sales field and have no desire to be. Im currently working a pretty lucrative contract job but looking for a regular job. I miss stability more than i thought I would.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I agree with your answer but really high state income taxes did nothing to lower my really high property taxes in NY. It's possible to mismanage public money so bad that...

A 1900 sq ft house on 78x100 lot had $13,800 in taxes in NY. That was after some tax breaks too.

Texas property taxes seem ridiculously cheap to me at the moment.

Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Not too sure why anyone in Texas would complain about their property taxes in an expanding state where the current Infrastructure in the major metro areas can't keep up with the booming housing market and corporate growth and yea there are no state taxes to get the money from. It has to come from some where and sales tax isn't enough
    As far as the New York comments. Well New York by geographic size is mostly conservative and would largely align itself to a Midwestern rural mindset. Like most large urban centers metro New York is liberal and most of it's negative views on gun rights stems from a long history of it being on a gain off again as a major center of crime and murder add to it 2 large terror attacks in 25 years plus a nearby 3rd in Boston and it being a major entry point for foreigners and it's mentality is preity exainable. Lived on Long Island for 18 years. Ironically of all the places I lived nothing reminds me more of Long Island than the where I live now I. The Dallas metroplex

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    State Income Tax is how it is solved in most states.
    Great, so then I would pay property tax AND a state income tax? No thanks!
    RE property taxes fund local (county, city, school district, etc.) issues, while state income taxes are for the state and do not go the the local needs. Luckily Texas is one of the few state that does not have a state incme tax, because other state revenues are sufficient. Has nothing to do with local needs.

Last edited:

Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Now that is sad!

And I am dead serious the irony considering the stereo types held by both groups makes me laugh all the way down to the accents of both groups. All though the more time I spend here the more I believe the way folks speak hear is entirely due to the fact that no one can breath through their noses because of the damn pollen count seriously they should just put allergy med right in the water

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    “It’s not because I don’t like paying taxes,” said Gardner, who attended both meetings. “I have voted for every park, every library, all the school improvements, for light rail, for anything that will make this city better. But now I can’t afford to live here anymore.
    LOL... typical

Big Jim P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    CenTex
    I agree with your answer but really high state income taxes did nothing to lower my really high property taxes in NY. It's possible to mismanage public money so bad that...

A 1900 sq ft house on 78x100 lot had $13,800 in taxes in NY. That was after some tax breaks too.

Texas property taxes seem ridiculously cheap to me at the moment.

They are compared to NY, which is another thing on my list of reasons I am returning.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I just started looking at houses here in TX and the taxes for an equivalent housr are under $4,000. That is less than 1/3 of what I was paying and there is no State income tax.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom