Target Sports

B.O.W.I.E. Club - EDCing of an Illegal Knife.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    That said guys and galls you CAN get into trouble with this as a LEOs don't always know the law.

A month ago, I was trying to get some info about a shotgun modification as well as something to do with it in the back of my ride. So, I have an officer that lives about 4 houses down. I go to ask him. He looks at me with this "I don't have a clue" look and tells me of a certain officer to ask for at the dept. So I call the dept, and ask them who I can talk to about gun laws. The lady on the phone tells me there's only two officers in the entire dept who really know all the gun laws and they're both out on lunch. lol...please don't ever let me get pulled over when I have my back loaded with guns and ammo on a range day. The officer I wound up talking to-I forget how it was brought up, but he told me that if he was walking up on my ride during a traffic stop and saw even just my shotgun laying in the back-then I should expect to have his gun drawn and orders being yelled at me until he figures out what's going on.
    Guns International

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Stilettos are ok with CHL and gun.

Good list:
    Any "Illegal Knife"
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.

Bad List:
    Any "Prohibited" knife listed below

(5) a switchblade knife;
    (6) knuckles;
    (10) a tire deflation device.
    Thankyou! Just something about stiletto's-I love em! I had no clue that a tire deflation device is illegal. That should knock out every knife out there except a butter knife.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    i fail to see the logic in that you have to be carrying a handgun to make it legal. Can anyone explain that to me? Or is it just another illogical law?

If you are carrying a CHL and a handgun of the type you are authorized to carry (ie if you tested with a revolver you can't carry a semi auto) then PC 46.02 does not apply to you. PC 46.02 is also the statute which prohibits carry of illegal knives.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If you are carrying a CHL and a handgun of the type you are authorized to carry (ie if you tested with a revolver you can't carry a semi auto) then PC 46.02 does not apply to you. PC 46.02 is also the statute which prohibits carry of illegal knives.

Yes, I get WHAT it says. I just don't understand why you have to be carrying a pistol.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I fail to see the connection between that and carrying a knife.

The distinction is the reason why they used the wording "a CHL and a handgun of the type a person is licensed to carry". If Texas issued only one type of CHL we would see something simpler like: "46.02 does not apply... to a person carrying a valid CHL".

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The distinction is the reason why they used the wording "a CHL and a handgun of the type a person is licensed to carry". If Texas issued only one type of CHL we would see something simpler like: "46.02 does not apply... to a person carrying a valid CHL".

Apologies for being dense, or not making my point clear enough, but my issue is not with the wording; it's with the fact that you have to be carrying your handgun in order to carry the knife. That is what does not make sense to me.

Are you saying that if there was no distinction between SA and NSA, we wouldn't have to be carrying a handgun in order to carry the knife? You seem confident in your explanation, so WTF am I missing? LOL

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom