• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bk17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Michigan for now
    So i am looking to move to Texas but yall have some different laws on shooting(target) on your own property then Michigan. Michigan is if you have a safe backstop and not in the city or not hunting then have it. seems Texas is more county by county and have acreage requirements? anyone able to give some insight? keep hearing 10 acres, heard 50 acres for centerfire, heard simply depends on county. Not real sure on where yet but tell ya it will likely be east TX or gulf coast maybe central TX, not further then Austin/ San Antonio, I like trees and gardening too much for the dry west TX. heading down this spring to help narrow down location, both wife and I shouldn't have trouble finding jobs just about anywhere. (I am maintenance (factory/industrial) and wife is a school consular)
    ARJ Defense ad

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    So i am looking to move to Texas but yall have some different laws on shooting(target) on your own property then Michigan. Michigan is if you have a safe backstop and not in the city or not hunting then have it. seems Texas is more county by county and have acreage requirements? anyone able to give some insight? keep hearing 10 acres, heard 50 acres for centerfire, heard simply depends on county. Not real sure on where yet but tell ya it will likely be east TX or gulf coast maybe central TX, not further then Austin/ San Antonio, I like trees and gardening too much for the dry west TX. heading down this spring to help narrow down location, both wife and I shouldn't have trouble finding jobs just about anywhere. (I am maintenance (factory/industrial) and wife is a school consular)

I depends primarily on location.
    City is likely a no go unless they have allowances.
    Every county is different. Some have acreage requirements and some don’t.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Here's a thread to peruse while waiting for replies....

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Not sure if it helps… you might have to dig a little

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I recommend against gulf coast. Them cannibal Karankawa Indians in that area will eat you!

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Before I sold my 5 acre property in Liberty County I was able to shoot as most of the property was heavily wooded and kind of swampy. My use was trapping hogs which I shot on a regular basis. I enjoyed the land until I got a very generous offer for it and I had to sell.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yep. One thing to remember when deciding range placement if you're gonna shoot on your land - it is a "State jail" felony if a round crosses property lines. Good muzzle and trigger control should keep you out of trouble, but build your back stop tall enough to catch the errant stuff.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Yep. One thing to remember when deciding range placement if you're gonna shoot on your land - it is a "State jail" felony if a round crosses property lines.
    no

Sec. 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY LINE. (a) In this section, "firearm" has the meaning assigned by Section 62.014(a).
    (b) A person commits an offense if:
    (1) the person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, knowingly discharges a firearm; and
    (2) the projectile from the firearm travels across a property line.
    (c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person:
    (1) owns the property on both sides of each property line crossed by the projectile; or
    (2) has a written agreement with any person who owns property on either side of each property line crossed by the projectile that allows the person to discharge a firearm on, over, or across the property or property line.
    (d) The written agreement required under Subsection (c)(2) must:
    (1) contain the name of the person allowed to hunt or engage in recreational shooting in a manner described by Subsection (b);
    (2) identify the property on either side of the property line crossed by the projectile; and
    (3) be signed by any person who owns the property on either side of the line crossed by the projectile.
    (e) An offense under this section is a Class C Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor.
    (f) If conduct constituting an offense under this section constitutes an offense under a section of the Penal Code, the person may be prosecuted under either section or both sections

bk17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Michigan for now
    254 counties in Texas. Might want to narrow it down.
    True and I get it. Spent a few hours and so far only found one county to actually have the laws/rules/regulations online. I will visit, narrow it down and just start calling sherrifs or DA's. Wishful thinking about having an easy to access rule book, lol.

bk17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Michigan for now
    visited Texas and hard to choose a single area, but really leaning toward Comal county north of San Antonio. Didn't get to see everything in only a weeks time of course.
    I found that most counties seem to default to the 10 acres or less is up for regulation "rule"
    but what's incorporated and unincorporated? How can i tell? how do I know it is a subdivision? (to me that is an area with a bunch of house all built around the same time, some would have HOA and gates)

https://www.co.comal.tx.us/Orders/2...arms and Airguns in Subdivisions 10-10-19.pdf

I know there are a ton of ranges around the area but it is nice to shoot on my own land how i want too at what targets i choose.
    it also doesn't seem that there is a lot of state land to hunt to shoot on around that area, kind of a bummer.

Top Bottom