Barrel switching on Contenders, is it legal?

bfm0072

Apr 23, 2008
Georgetown
Can you switch from a 14" barrel pistol set up to a 21" carbine set up leagly?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
So long as it does not have a stock. There is no definition on barrel length with a pistol to my knowledge.

If you use the pistol receiver then it is a pistol. Swapping the 14" barrel onto a receiver marked a rifle would require an SBR Form, but may be classed as an AOW (Any Other Weapon) since it does not fit the defined definition of a rifle due to the lack of a stock.

This is my understanding, you will want to verify this with either the ATF, or a Class III dealer.

Rifleman55

Jul 17, 2008
So long as it does not have a stock. There is no definition on barrel length with a pistol to my knowledge.

If you use the pistol receiver then it is a pistol. Swapping the 14" barrel onto a receiver marked a rifle would require an SBR Form, but may be classed as an AOW (Any Other Weapon) since it does not fit the defined definition of a rifle due to the lack of a stock.

This is my understanding, you will want to verify this with either the ATF, or a Class III dealer.
As far as I know you can put a rifle barrel and stock on a contender frame. T/C used to sell kits for that purpose. Just don't install a pistol barrel on the frame with a rifle stock.

bfm0072

Apr 23, 2008
Georgetown
I have an older model contender and it is not marked "Rifle Only". I knew there was some hoopla with TC and ATF over the ability to switch around. I have never heard a definitive outcome to that. So I was curious.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member