• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    So as I've stated previously I'm moving into a new home soon that'll have a garage all to me. My very own man cave to do all kinds of sinister things in.

So I'm looking at putting a workbench in the garage along with a Dillon press so I can crank out some 9mm, .45, and maybe even some 7.62 though I understand that I need something different for rifle cartridges.

Any advice on what kind of models I should be looking for or whatnot?
    Target Sports

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    can't go wrong with a dillon, we have a 650 with a case feeder, once it's setup you can run forever... i just want to add a bullet feeder to it and let er go to town

So I hear! I've been told that the lifetime transferrable warranty on it makes it worth the extra cost alone. A buddy of mine that reloads a metric fuckton of 40 S&W raves about his Dillon all the time.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I like my Hornady Lock n Load AP. Been watching my mentor in reloading work out issues on his Dillon and its a pain in my opinion. Also don't like how the quick change works on it compared to the LnL. My opinion and we all know what those are like.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Make sure your bench is extremely sturdy. I used a 2" thick commercial (school) 7' door that had been damaged at the hinges. I put some 45* angled iron every 3' back to where the floor and wall come together. If you get a flimsey support bench/table things will not go well. Build plenty of heavy duty wall shelves for bullets, powder, and cases. Just my two bits.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    No, that's solid advice. I was thinking I could find a pretty good workbench on Craigslist or something. I have some friends that are into automotive stuff the way I'm into guns and they said they'd help me track down a quality bench. :)

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I use a Dillion 550B press to load my .45 ACP, and a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme to load my rifle bullets. Here is an example of just how good Dillion's warranty is. Two years ago I bought my 550B from a fellow. He had just moved here from Wisconsin. He bought the press and shortly afterwards his wife divorced him, so he never set the press up. I received it in the original box with the accessories still sealed from the factory. It turns out the press was 14 years old. The original order invoice was still in the box. I called Dillion inquiring about what, if any warranty this press might have. The Dillion guy said the warranty was the same as if I had just bought it. He even send me a couple of parts that they had been upgraded since the press was made. No questions and no cost. Unless you are wanting to reload a lot of ammo at one time, or have a lot of spare cash; a 550B would be perfect for your reloading. You can set up different toolheads for different calibers without having to change dies, just the tool head. I not use a progressive reloader for my rifle bullets because I feel a progressive press is just not as stabile as a single stage press when it comes to high pressure reloading. But that is just my 2 cents worth.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I went with hornady lnl ap. I liked the ability to change calibers with tool heads.
    There is one Dillion model that is pistol only (square deal?). The 550 and 650 are good to go.

I crank 45 off mine easily. If you do precision rifle I might look at a single stage press.

Head over to ultimate reloader .com. They have some great videos of all the presses and options.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    My pistol ammo is loaded on a matched pair of Dillon SDB's. One for .45 and the other for 9mm. My rifle ammo is only loaded on a single stage due to much more precision needed in high pressure rifle rounds. Both SDB's have served me well for several years.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Dillons are great from what I've heard but my personal experience has been with Lee models only. For the money, the turret press is hard to beat. It has great versatility and potential to crank out rounds at a steady volume. However, my reloading mantra is quality not quantity so the progressives just aren't in the cards for me. Maybe a square deal B for some pistol rounds one day, but for now, the turret press gets it done for me. I reload for eight different calibers and have matched or exceeded factory performance using exclusively Lee dies and presses(Hand and turret).

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I run a 650, and the load quality more than matches the speed. I spot-check my charges periodically, an' they're very consistent, as is the finished product, so I've learned to trust it (even though I do still spot-check it).

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I got the Hornady LnL AP and like everything about it but the priming system... which absolutely sucks because it isn't adjustable at all without trimming springs and shimming here and there. If I had to do it over again, I would likely get a Dillon 650. Maybe even a SDB or two for my high-volume pistol stuff.

I also have a Hornady single stage for precision rifle ammo... no issues with it.

-Randy

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I want to spend some time on the 650 just to see how well it works. Although 100 bucks per tool head looks annoying

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    .RCBS single stage is what I would recommend to a new handloader especially in the learning mode. You can't beat the accuracy and if one goes to a turret press or a progressive later on they will know what they are doing. The RCBS is grea for loading extremely accurate rifle (or pistol) rounds and can always be used as a back up.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    You won't go wrong with a LnL or the Dillon 650. Both should be run with a casefeeder, that is where the excel and not having one is silly. Both have the ability to integrate a bullet feeder or powder check but only the 650 can be automated with a P/W conversion. I wouldn't feel shortchanged with either but in general I buy Dillon equipment although my 50BMG press is Hornady. Your caliber list is such that you would be out of your mind to load on anything but a progressive and, no, you don't need a single stage first. Single stages can be useful, but in general the only relevant arguments for them are that you can't get a coversion kit in a caliber for a progressive or you are using them to pull bullets. Quality is not an issue, plenty of people and every commerical manufacturer out there uses progressive style presses to load their match ammo with spectacular results.

If you have the money, the 1050 is a superior press to the LnL, 650, and 550 in my opinion. The ability to swage in 9mm and 45ACP is useful given the proliferation of NT brass out there and with the latter, you easily pick out SPPs too. Conversions are more expensive, but you are investing in tooling and in the long run it pales in comparison to the amount you will spend on components over the lifetime of your hobby.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Determining a "need" for a single stage should be left up to the user. I use my single stage quite a lot 'cause I de-prime with it in many cases without the sizer on it before I lube so I can clean my cases without the primer. There are other uses for a single stage, most involving familiarity to a new handloader (and they are inexpensive). Kinda' like new shooters generally do not by $3000 pistols or rifles. Progressives are nice, especially for those that load a great deal of ammo. Just my two bits.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had to tear up my reloading equipment after Hurricane IKE so my floors could be re-done. As I write this, I'm rebuilding my setup.

I had two older Dillon RL 450 progressives. One was set up for small primers and the other for large primers. I sold those and bought another RL 450 that was set up when the Hurricane hit. My single stage press is an RCBS Rockchucker that has been with me non stop since the 70's.

I also had two Shotgun shell loaders Texan and Mec 600 jr. I recommend them highly but target/field reloads cost what the "Loss Leader" field loads cost so I buy those instead of loading them. If you shoot high brass like 00 buck, those rounds are so expensive that it is very profitable to load. I loaded 00 buck by the case for cheap and had great fun with them!

I cast my own bullets and resized/lubed bullets for the late Jim Yeates in Tulsa, a man who is a legend in custom bullet circles. Jim bought a railcar full of Linotype which he used in his bullets. They were the hardest cast bullets I've ever seen! I sold most of that gear but have considered casting my own (roll your own) bullets, again. I'm chomping at the bit to buy the equipment, have a 5 gallon bucket of clean wheel weight lead in ingots and some of Jim Yeates special alloy in ingots ready to go.

I load:
    38/.357, 45acp, 44 mag, .223, .308, 30-06, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, .303 British, 30-30 and a few others that escape me right now. Oh, 22-250 was another one.

Advice? Do NOT start out with a progressive. Learn the craft on a single stage. Midway USA has a special on the RCBS RockChucker right now. There are lots of subtle settings on a die set and it's easier to see what the dies actually do to the brass on a single stage. After you fully comprehend how the dies work, select a progressive and you still have the single stage for rifle rounds. I loaded .223 on my Dillon but found the IMR 4895 powder was bridging in the powder measure. It would short one round and give extra to the next. I load rifle rounds only on a single stage, now as I prefer the IMR 4895 powder.

My .308 custom loads chronographed 15 feet/second extreme spread between rounds. You'll never get that on store bought rounds.

I use a decap die to punch the primers out, clean the primer pockets then reprime on an RCBS bench priming tool.

CW.....where the Hell have you been?

Flash

RobertP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Spring
    I have been reloading on my LNL AP for about 4 years now and I still love it. I load LOTS of different calibers for my wife, kids, my brother, and my Dad...oh yeah and I like to shoot too. :) I love the versatility of the LNL...a bushing for each die (3 packs are about $9) and once you set them you just pop them out when you are done and put them back when you are ready to go again. Its kind of the cheaper alternative to the Dillon or RCBS toolheads.
    I just added the case feeder last month and I didnt realize how much time it saves when loading lots of ammo...it makes me smile!

As for handloading...well I do that too with 223, 308, and 30-06. In this case I do it in stages and 50 at a time from a reloading tray. Yeah I drop the powder and weigh each drop before it goes in the case. Of course you can load with the press and I do with all my practice rounds but haven't built up enough confidence that the +-.2 grs make a difference.

I will not dog Dillon because I have never used one but I have read and seen enough to know they make really good stuff too. If I get another progressive press I want to go with a 1050 if I have the cash.

I will say this...Lee makes cheaper stuff and while it definitely works it might not work the best. I hate my Lee powder dropper...it just not consistent for my handloads and compared to my hornady powder measure its a night and day difference.

I recommend an electronic scale....it really sped up my handloads.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    We seem to be getting a little far in left field. It is highly recommened that someone new to reloading start with something basic and easy. The high dollar multi-stage presses are qreat once you get the hang of reloading, but are both expensive and involved for a new reloader. Once the guy starts reloading he may decide it is not really what he thought it would be, and then he is stuck with expensive equipment he will have to sell at 1/2 of what he paid for it. I started with a RCBS C5 press 20 years ago. I now have several thousands of dollars invested in my Dillion progressive press, my RCBS Rockchucker single stage press, and all of the other whistles and bells one acquires after reloading for any length of time. Reloading is my hobby, so the time involved does not bother me. This guy may not be so willing to invest his time or his money.

Top Bottom