ARJ Defense ad

Be careful, your words can come back to haunt you.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Most of the people posting in this thread aren’t posting because of some “sound bite” they’ve heard about Taurus and their QC issues. When they post specific problems and concerns with Taurus, those are usually problems they’ve run into during previous dealings with Taurus. Your post reads like some advice for OP to try a Taurus and see if he likes it. I believe you’ll find he has owned Taurus in the past, and like all the rest of us posting here, has a good reason for not wanting another one.
    If he starts carrying it and we go out to dinner again, I say he has to sit at another table.
    Guns International

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Growing up (not in the US), I remember how me and my dad used to make fun of this car manufacturer - Skoda. In the 90s, they made pieces of junk with 4 wheels that some confused to be "cars". Unreliable, poor handling, complete junk.

Better than anything else made in the Eastern Bloc. Worlds ahead of Yugo, Trabant, Russki Fiat aka Lada, Romanian Renault aka Dacia, etc.

Better than many cars made in the West, too. And they had a four door, rear engined water cooled model decades before Porsche ;)

clawmarks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    Most of the people posting in this thread aren’t posting because of some “sound bite” they’ve heard about Taurus and their QC issues. When they post specific problems and concerns with Taurus, those are usually problems they’ve run into during previous dealings with Taurus. Your post reads like some advice for OP to try a Taurus and see if he likes it. I believe you’ll find he has owned Taurus in the past, and like all the rest of us posting here, has a good reason for not wanting another one.
    My apologies, I meant no disrespect. What I meant is that personally, if I already had a gun coming my way (like op's situation), and it was to my preference / liking, and if this gun didn't have any red flags (e.g. Model that is known to be bad) I'd give it a shot before canning it.

If you hate the brand, then there's no point to it - just toss it away and be done with it. Personally, I'm less about brands in general and more about specific models. I had a Mazda that was POS, and a different one that wad one of the best cars I ever had - so I'm not going to say all Mazdas are X, I'll judge each one on its own merits.

But either way, that's just my own personal perspective, and I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    taurus1.jpg

Attachments

• taurus1.jpg
      taurus1.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 420

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've owned 3 Taurus' in my life....the first one made me get rid of the 2nd one. The third one I WANTED to get rid of.....but due to a missing rear sight, I knew I had to replace it first. It's a little 9-shot SS .22 that I taught the kids to shoot with. Sight went missing at the ranch one day, so I tossed it in the safe and after a half-dozen attempts to get a reply out of Taurus, forgot about it. Fast forward about 20 years.....came across it again, and decided to try Taurus again. They actually answered this time....but they were out of stock, and would let me order it and wait....so I did.
    Four long years followed, with me checking status every 6 months or so, each time being told "Not yet - but we'll let you know when." Yeah, right - I kept checking....until around the first part of January when I contact them....and they HAVE ONE!! Of course, it's NOT got my name on it (why would they remember someone who'd been waiting FOUR YEARS?!??), and they have NO clue where my original info is, so we go through the entire order process again.....and I'm told "We can't tell you when we'll ship it, because we're relocating right now"......#!)*!?
    I wait another TWO MONTHS - contacting them every other week - and am FINALLY told it's going to be shipped....."soon". Two weeks later, I get a tracking number, and about a week later, FINALLY have the sight in my hands!
    The sight is now on the gun - and the gun is listed on Gunbroker. I will *not* own another Taurus - EVER. If I somehow win one, it's gonna be sold or given away!

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    My apologies, I meant no disrespect. What I meant is that personally, if I already had a gun coming my way (like op's situation), and it was to my preference / liking, and if this gun didn't have any red flags (e.g. Model that is known to be bad) I'd give it a shot before canning it.

If you hate the brand, then there's no point to it - just toss it away and be done with it. Personally, I'm less about brands in general and more about specific models. I had a Mazda that was POS, and a different one that wad one of the best cars I ever had - so I'm not going to say all Mazdas are X, I'll judge each one on its own merits.

But either way, that's just my own personal perspective, and I didn't mean to offend anyone.
    I didn’t take anything you said as disrespect, and I hope my response didn’t come across that way. You’re fairly new here, but most of us know each other pretty well after many discussions, sometimes heated discussions about thousands of topics. Lots of us know each other IRL from our semi-annual reunions, or the many localized area get togethers. And then there are some on here that are actually friends and communicate with each other outside of this forum. Now that I’ve taken the long way around the world to get to my point, sometimes I guess I say things without realizing how they’ll be received.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Since it's from the manufacturer, and being returned to the owner - they can/will ship it directly. Since it's a warranty replacement, it's replacement is considered the "same gun".
    IIRC, a different S/N requires shipping through an FFL? Been a while, I could be wrong on that.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Personally, I'm less about brands in general and more about specific models. I had a Mazda that was POS, and a different one that wad one of the best cars I ever had - so I'm not going to say all Mazdas are X, I'll judge each one on its own merits.

There’s why your opinion is so much different than ours. I can help you see the other side though. Taurus is not a Mazda, it is a Yugo.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    IIRC, a different S/N requires shipping through an FFL? Been a while, I could be wrong on that.

That's my understanding as well.

I really thought about a TX 22. I like the way it points and it reviews well. Price is right.

But I know my luck, I'll get a bad one and getting it fixed will be a pain. No thanks.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Since it's from the manufacturer, and being returned to the owner - they can/will ship it directly. Since it's a warranty replacement, it's replacement is considered the "same gun".
    Not if it is a different gun with a different serial number. I know because I had a Taurus that was recalled, they sent me a new one to my FFL and they paid the FFL fee.
    I always thought of Taurus as a good truck gun and who cares if it gets stolen but I have three now (one I gave to my daughter), G2C and I will say that they have been super reliable guns. I have two complaints, the mags need a maglula to load and the trigger pull is long. But they are 2nd strike capable although I have never had one fail to go bang the first time.
    I bought them as a truck gun but I am impressed. Work as well as a Glock at less than 1/2 the price. I can afford more but why spend more than you need to. I know all of the Taurus stories but I personally would have no problem carrying one and depending on it.
    Taurus has brought inexpensive and quality that the average guy (girl) can afford. I know it is heresy but so be it. For those that subscribe to the magazine Guntests they have good things to say about them too, all on a model by model basis.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Not if it is a different gun with a different serial number. I know because I had a Taurus that was recalled, they sent me a new one to my FFL and they paid the FFL fee.

You're absolutely right - went right over my head.....<sigh>

Taurus has brought inexpensive and quality that the average guy (girl) can afford. I know it is heresy but so be it. For those that subscribe to the magazine Guntests they have good things to say about them too, all on a model by model basis.

When I see the phrase "good for the money", my gut turns - because that means it's got compromises. That's fine for a plinker - but unacceptable for something I count on to protect me and mine. Yeah - I carry $1k+ handguns, because I trust them. NOT because they cost that much, but because they're proven themselves worthy of my trust. I've seen others in the $4-800 range that I'd trust as well....just nothing that said "Taurus" on them. But that is my experience and opinion - yours can well vary and be just as valid.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    There’s why your opinion is so much different than ours. I can help you see the other side though. Taurus is not a Mazda, it is a Yugo.
    I'm gonna have disagree. Taurus has never been a Yugo. Maybe Kia or Hyundai of the mid 90s but neve a yugo.

And thanks f pi r bringing thrones stupid commercials back to the front of my mind.
    Yugo leads the way. The toughest most dependable car a little money can buy.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I guess I have always put Rossi and Taurus in the same class.

If I bought one and received the other I'd consider it a wash.

Receive it and shoot the hell out of it.

But personally I wouldn't buy either as a gun I might need to defend myself with.

Top Bottom