Lynx Defense

Be careful, your words can come back to haunt you.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The big problem with taurus, is that even though they have a warranty, dealing with them can be an absolute PITA.

My experience with their CS was a few years ago (right before they had that safety issue come out), and it was such a nightmare that it made me swear off their stuff forever.

See if you can get some cash from the shop, and look for a police trade in model 10 or something.
    ARJ Defense ad

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    My dad shot a Taurus revolver, it was similar to a s&w 642. It crapped out after 100 rounds, he called Taurus and they said the model was discontinued. So they sent him a new revolver, that one crapped out at 100 rounds as well.

He sent it back and told them he wasn’t interested in round three and hasn’t bought another Taurus since.

craymer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    My Dad decided he no longer wanted all of his guns. I think a big part of this decision is after my Mom passed away six years ago, he remarried. His health isn't the best and he is 74. His new wife also has kids and I think he was worried that if something happened to him, she may not give them up or give them to her kids. So a few months ago, he loaded them all up and brought them to me, he gave me 34 of them and he only kept one of his 1911s and a shotgun for the house.

Long, possibly pointless story, short, one of the handguns he gave me was a Taurus. .40 and that is the only one I got rid of, he even mentioned it was crap. It took me two weeks trying to sell it and in the end only got $200 for it. Taurus may make some decent guns, but their reputation is well deserved.

Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I've owned 10 Taurus pistols and revolvers. All the pistols (a P92C, a P99, a P100, a PT-1911 a PT-22 and a Curve were good with no problems and two Model 85s (stainless, no problems). The Model 66 was ok with some fit and finish problems and the Model 94 was acceptable with some fit and finish problems. I still have the Curve (even with the long and less then satisfactory trigger) and one of the Model 85s (rather my wife does). I gave the other Model 85 to my mother and it was later transferred to one of my nieces. None of them gave me the QC problems that I encountered with my Colt and AMT 45s.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Growing up (not in the US), I remember how me and my dad used to make fun of this car manufacturer - Skoda. In the 90s, they made pieces of junk with 4 wheels that some confused to be "cars". Unreliable, poor handling, complete junk.

Some years passed by, Skoda got their act together, and they started making legitimate vehicles. Perhaps it was the acquisition by vw, perhaps something else, who knows.

Before you know it, from garbage, through mediocre, now they're making great cars - some will argue best in class, and funny enough it came to the point of my own father owning a Skoda, which turned out to be the best car he ever owned.

My point?
    We (consumers in general, and us consumers in particular) have a tendency to reduce a brand to a soundbite, usually it originates for a good reason, but even still. The main question here is whether you judge hardware by the team it's a part of, or by its performance, and whether you're willing to change your mind if they change.

I don't know whether you got a POS, a mediocre or a great pistol. If you don't like it you definitely shouldn't own it, but personally i wouldn't jump on selling it before giving it a shot, figuratively and literally (:
    Taurus has had nearly forever to get their act together, and still have only one quality gun.Their copy of the Beretta. They strive for the quality standards of their region. Rossi makes a poor copy of the J and K framed S&W's. Adding Argentina quality control to that of Brazil won't change much. Like in the Buy America threads putting a bunch of Brazilian parts together in Florida may not change much.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    You're right, their reputation is well earned - but it doesn't mean that it cannot be turned.
    The last gen G2 and G3, along with the TX22, are getting very positive reviews from, well, basically every reviewer I've seen so far. What I'm saying is - perhaps they got their act together, and perhaps they're still garbage. My point is that, personally, I'd rather judge by data ([reputation] + [professional long-term reviews] + [user reviews]) instead of 100% relying on just one of these artifacts. Therefore, I wouldn't pay top dollar to purchase a Taurus even if the reviews were off the chart (because reputation), but I also wouldn't completely avoid from giving them a shot if they're priced good enough (because reviews).
    I had one Taurus about 25 years ago, swore I'd never have another one. I'll stand by that and use my money for something trustworthy.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    My Dad decided he no longer wanted all of his guns. I think a big part of this decision is after my Mom passed away six years ago, he remarried. His health isn't the best and he is 74. His new wife also has kids and I think he was worried that if something happened to him, she may not give them up or give them to her kids. So a few months ago, he loaded them all up and brought them to me, he gave me 34 of them and he only kept one of his 1911s and a shotgun for the house.

Long, possibly pointless story, short, one of the handguns he gave me was a Taurus. .40 and that is the only one I got rid of, he even mentioned it was crap. It took me two weeks trying to sell it and in the end only got $200 for it. Taurus may make some decent guns, but their reputation is well deserved.
    Would have given you $150.....lol

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Send me all you have......I will take em off your hands.

Too late! The ONLY one I had - an OLD Model 94 - sold for $340 on GB yesterday. Don't ask me - I'd have been happy to get back the $60 I spent on it!

DSC_0298.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0298.JPG
      DSC_0298.JPG
      272.1 KB · Views: 436

phoenix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2014
    I would step up and say friends don’t let friends buy a Taurus, but since its free, I guess I’ll just shun you for a while.

I am not big on taurus as well but i did get a taurus 92 on a deal and have had no problems with it.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I am not big on taurus as well but i did get a taurus 92 on a deal and have had no problems with it.
    I had one of those for a couple years. I had multiple magazine failures, finally put Beretta springs and followers in to fix the problem.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    They are sending me a new gun in the box to the FFL of my choice for $0
    I'll pay the transfer fee and they will reimburse me for that
    The end
    Is that because it’s not the same model?

Remington sent me a replacement 700 in 13 or 14. New SN and it came directly to my house.

Top Bottom