• V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Interesting thread........

I have no problem being generous. We give cash and donate goods to lots of various charities and individuals every year, sometimes even when we can't really afford to.......

Panhandling occurs alot here in Corpus. In fact, sometimes just in the area of town where I worked I would be asked for money, sex, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, tampons, ect, several times per day.....You get worn out being hit up daily and especially multiple times daily......

I no longer let panhandlers get close enough to possibly become a threat anymore....If I see them heading my way..I tell them to stop, not to come any closer. They can ask me from 20ft just as easily as 3 feet. My family's and my personal safety outweigh their feelings.......

jmho.........
    Gun Zone Deals

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    I have only given to a few people here in Austin. It basically comes down to if their sign made me laugh. I feel like a dollar is well worth the laugh I got from their sign.

Two particular examples come to mind: "Need funding for research on homelessness and poverty," and, "Need money for fuel for space ship."

I avoid this dilemma entirely. I have a standing policy not to give money.

Take out, old jackets, blankets, shoes.. Ill give.
    $? no.. sorry.

This goes for the ARM church or charity here in Austin as well. Firefighters are about the only ones I will donate to on the street corner..

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The idea being if they're deceiving or misusing my generosity then it's on them, if they're not then I've done a good thing and my Christian duty.

You're the one enabling their habits and crime. It's on you too.

Give them food or water if they need it. Don't give them what they need to buy another bottle or their next fix.

Angeleyes

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    some dude came up to me asking me for money for boots for his "new job" i said no then he walked off to his car and drove off looool

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Acting holistically and with coordinated efforts, I've seen miracles with families and individuals.

I don't normally give to beggars on the street, but, when I feel prompted, I do so without guilt.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    I used to give a lot untill the dynamics changed.

Earlier when you give, the receiver would pray for you from the bottom of the heart and be thankful.
    Now mostly attitude is to scam people and think that someone falled for their trick.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I used to give a lot untill the dynamics changed.

Earlier when you give, the receiver would pray for you from the bottom of the heart and be thankful.
    Now mostly attitude is to scam people and think that someone falled for their trick.

This.

I had a friend from Michigan, helped her move to California which was actually a better fit for her. She was a starving college student - full time student, worked part time at a cafe. Girl kept giving money to the bums (I refuse to call them "homeless" or any other PC term - they're bums) that asked for it because of her religious/spiritual views. She asked me for advice (don't know why people do that to me). I told her to carry some expired food from the cafe and give that out instead.

Later she told me that not a single bum had accepted her gift, and asked for money instead of food. She no longer give money (or food) to bums.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I give money all the time. Hell, last week as I was pulling out of my apartment complex, an elderly gentleman approached my window, I rolled it halfway down (like I always do), and he kindly explained that he needed a couple bucks for a burger. I gave him a five, he said "God bless you" and was on his merry way.

I agree with everyone on here who say that it's good to give with your heart in the right place. Every time I give, I feel as if God is smiling and that's good enough for me. In a world as troubled as this one, just a little good goes a long way. I don't want any recognition from others. I just want to make someone's day a little better. It's all about getting out of your comfort zone, making a little sacrifice, and going the extra mile.

TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston
    I never give beggars money. I've actually offered to buy them what they say they need the money for and they refuse it every time and because of this, I'm am convinced that most of these people are frauds, drug addicts, or drunkards. NEVER!

Doc007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Austin
    After being assaulted twice after refusing to give money I don't go anywhere I cannot be armed and will automatically go into a defensive posture when approached.
    Another reason we need campus carry

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    I've always held the belief that giving to someone on the street corner is a good thing. The idea being if they're deceiving or misusing my generosity then it's on them, if they're not then I've done a good thing and my Christian duty. The problem is now days I see very young healthy people begging on the street. It's getting hard to believe they're people in need (of handouts anyways) and not just freeloaders. What's your take on this?

Probably a question for my Pastor but I thought I'd post it here and get some opinions.

i dont look at giving to the homeless as anything but giving $$ to Jesus.....it's not about what you get out of it , or what they do with the money....we give because we're commanded to do so

if i have an extra 10 spot in my wallet and come across a homeless type ( i work downtown) - i give it to them, tell them God bless - and keep going

if i'm concerned about what my money is being used for - i can give to any charity and do the research before hand

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    So maybe you guys could tell me if I got screwed or not.

I was in Houston, and had a guy ask me for money to get gas to go to San Antonio, so he could get treated for cancer at the Vet hospital. He was the right age for a Vietnam era, had the hat.
    Did a good job on the sales pitch. I thought he was believable. And I'm pretty cynical.

Didn't have any cash, but I offered to fill up his tank. So we walked over to his truck and to the fuel pumps.
    He had doctors bills in his truck, from a quick glance. Any way got him enough gas to get him to San Antone. And he got in his truck, and pointed the right way to San Antonio.

Looking back, I hear that they get paid to drive back and forth. Just wondering.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom