• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I don't typically offer cash. It's not on me to figure out whether or not they're genuinely in need or not, but I'm also not blind to the fact many people standing on street corners are often better dressed and better groomed than I am. The way I look at it, and it perhaps isn't perfect in the eyes of the Lord, but if you're able bodied and asking for cash in front of a gas station with a help wanted sign in the window? Lets just say I'm not rolling down my window for you.

That's not to say I haven't given cash, but quite honestly if someone needs help it isn't money that is required. Money is wanted, not needed. When a neighbor asks for my help, he doesn't want $100. Rather, he seeks assistance of some sort. It could be physical labor, it could be something requiring a specific skill or knowledge set, it could be watching his kids, or what have you. Of this, I give as absolutely freely as I am able. I could be mistaken, but this is what I believe Jesus preached about. I don't feel guilty or greedy by not opening my wallet to anyone who asks.
    Guns International

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    So maybe you guys could tell me if I got screwed or not.

I was in Houston, and had a guy ask me for money to get gas to go to San Antonio, so he could get treated for cancer at the Vet hospital. He was the right age for a Vietnam era, had the hat.
    Did a good job on the sales pitch. I thought he was believable. And I'm pretty cynical.

Didn't have any cash, but I offered to fill up his tank. So we walked over to his truck and to the fuel pumps.
    He had doctors bills in his truck, from a quick glance. Any way got him enough gas to get him to San Antone. And he got in his truck, and pointed the right way to San Antonio.

Looking back, I hear that they get paid to drive back and forth. Just wondering.

The two VA hospitals in Texas are in Houston and Temple. And yes if you have an appointment at a VA center and have to drive 25 miles or more you get paid $0.42 per mile, each way, with a $3 deductible.

He could have been going to BAMC in San Antonio, which is an Army Hospital and you dont get paid for going to those.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Too many negative stories.. Need some positivism in here.

A few yers ago a man approached me at a Shell station in Frisco. Lebanon and Preston. He was in his late 20's and appeared poor by his clothes and his work truck. His claim was that he had been in Frisco looking for work that day and was unsuccessful and had no money to get home. After talking with him a little I had him pull his truck around and I put 10 gallons of gas in his car. He seemed like a decent person and I could tell by his demeanor that he was indeed desperate to get home.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    My best friend told me a story about a begger that was in a wheelchair with both legs cut off with a sign saying she needed help. He gave her some money and about 4 or 5 weeks later the was at the same place standing up saying thanks to all the helped her to get new legs and she didn't want money just wanted to thank everyone that helped.

Hows that matefrio?

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    My best friend told me a story about a begger that was in a wheelchair with both legs cut off with a sign saying she needed help. He gave her some money and about 4 or 5 weeks later the was at the same place standing up saying thanks to all the helped her to get new legs and she didn't want money just wanted to thank everyone that helped.

Hows that matefrio?
    Nice

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    The two VA hospitals in Texas are in Houston and Temple. And yes if you have an appointment at a VA center and have to drive 25 miles or more you get paid $0.42 per mile, each way, with a $3 deductible.

He could have been going to BAMC in San Antonio, which is an Army Hospital and you dont get paid for going to those.

That's good he did say army hospital. I just assumed va.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio

There is also a VA hospital in Kerrville, TX

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

Hows that matefrio?

Warms the heart.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So you're getting your jollies off helping someone stay mired in a drug addiction. That's something to brag about right there.

He is helping someone, if they choose not to use that help wisely it is not his generosity at fault but the irresponsibility of the recipient.

How is he in any way accountable for their actions?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    He is helping someone, if they choose not to use that help wisely it is not his generosity at fault but the irresponsibility of the recipient.

How is he in any way accountable for their actions?

Intent is not equivalent with result. If he's giving them money with the intent of helping them, but they're just using it to buy drugs, he's not actually helping them, unless you consider giving them drugs a form of help.

Let's take a different situation where someone could intend to help. Man walks into a 7-11, sees a guy in front of the counter pointing a gun at the guy behind the counter who has his hands up. Gunman is yelling something incoherent. The man pulls his concealed handgun and pops the man with the gun. Did he help?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Intent is not equivalent with result. If he's giving them money with the intent of helping them, but they're just using it to buy drugs, he's not actually helping them, unless you consider giving them drugs a form of help.

Let's take a different situation where someone could intend to help. Man walks into a 7-11, sees a guy in front of the counter pointing a gun at the guy behind the counter who has his hands up. Gunman is yelling something incoherent. The man pulls his concealed handgun and pops the man with the gun. Did he help?

In the first paragraph he is helping them but they are choosing to throw that help away.

He helped the man behind the counter. Your example does not clarify which is the victim of the crime that seems to be taking place.

In that example however, I believe the helper would be the person who gave the CCer some bullets for his gun and he chose how to use those bullets. He was given the help but only he can decide if he will use it properly.

Another reason I don't think that example works well in this discussion is that if you loan someone money to pay their rent and they choose to use it to buy a gun and rob a store you are not legally liable for their actions.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    So you're getting your jollies off helping someone stay mired in a drug addiction. That's something to brag about right there.

Not getting my jollies. My Christian beliefs tell me that my blessing occurs from the act of charity. If you go back to what I originally said, I can not dictate the use of a gift. Otherwise it isn't a gift. In other words, if you ask me for monetary help to pay your light bill, and I give it to you, and you then turn around and spend it on ammo. That isn't my responsibility. I did my part. What you do with it once it belongs to you is on you.
    If someone CHOOSES to stay mired in drug addiction that is THEIR choice.
    Each person on this planet is responsible for their own choices and actions. I will have to stand before my maker and defend MY actions, not yours.

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    Thanks. The best part is when we show up, the urban outdoorsmen sometimes get bent out of shape that we're stealing their corner.
    LOL! Good one! I've been a sign spinner and watched the "Corner and Intersection Median Wars" There are the bums, the Firemen, the Police, the Black folks that get all dressed up in suits (They are from some Church,don't know which one) and the sign spinners. All the corners and medians would fill up on the weekends, you had to show up early to stake out a place. I just spun the sign advertising for the apartments down the street, I was amused by watching all the others competing for donations.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    In the first paragraph he is helping them but they are choosing to throw that help away.

He helped the man behind the counter. Your example does not clarify which is the victim of the crime that seems to be taking place.

In that example however, I believe the helper would be the person who gave the CCer some bullets for his gun and he chose how to use those bullets. He was given the help but only he can decide if he will use it properly.

Another reason I don't think that example works well in this discussion is that if you loan someone money to pay their rent and they choose to use it to buy a gun and rob a store you are not legally liable for their actions.

In the example given, the store clerk had the gun, the guy behind the counter was robbing the register.

Good intentions count for squat when the actions taken on those intentions are harmful.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom