• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Want to pick up a bolt action rifle. I do not hunt but I just want something that will be most accurate at far distances. I see walmart has quite a few rifles for sale with some under $500. Besides a .22, what is a good rifle for around or under $500?
    ARJ Defense ad

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Looks nice. I really would like to buy it privately but may just suck it up and buy it from a dealer. Just to be clear, in Texas you do NOT need any type of permit to purchase a firearm privately correct?

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Okay thanks. I guess only reason I wouldnt want to purchase from a dealer is the fact I will be on record.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Long distance and cheap are mutually exclusive.

Add a zero to your budget.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362832506.919821.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What do you consider "far" distances and what do you consider "accurate".

There are a lot of deer rifles out there now that will shoot close to 1 MOA but you have to shoot slow to keep the barrel from getting too hot.

If you are looking for sub MOA and something that doesn't require a cool down between each shot I doubt you'll find it for $500.

I got a Savage model 10 Tactical carbine for $800. Cheapest scope I was willing to put on it was a SS 10X for $300, another $200 for the base and rings. I've gotten groups of .75 MOA with Federal gold medal match when I do my part.

Hand loading should bring the groups in a little more and I think I will be able to get it down to .5 MOA.

If you want more accuracy than that you will definitely be spending some money. As accuracy increases the price goes up exponentially.

My advise, look at a Savage or Remington and check their law enforcement models. Both are great guns and both have pros and cons. Prices run about the same.

tdwhite03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    Savage 30-06. I can and do shoot 1" moa at 500yrds with mine. Paid about 350 for it used from powder horn in San Antonio.

As noted before, the barrel will heat up and lose accuracy so 4 shots then I let her cool down while I shoot something else.

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    There are 4473's that must be stored for 10 years. That's registration enough for me.

Thats what I figured. I cant just walk in, buy the rifle and walk out. I have to fill out a 4473 form and wait for the NICS check to go through.

Back to the rifle, I am not looking for something crazy like 1000 yards 1" group. Like tdwhite has, 500 yards 1" would be fine.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thats what I figured. I cant just walk in, buy the rifle and walk out. I have to fill out a 4473 form and wait for the NICS check to go through.

Back to the rifle, I am not looking for something crazy like 1000 yards 1" group. Like tdwhite has, 500 yards 1" would be fine.

Txwhite said he shoots 1 MOA. That's a little over 5" at 500 yrds.

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Well as of right now I am staying in a hotel until an apartment opens up. I also still have a NC license and NC license plate. Is that a problem?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    NICS usually only takes 5-10 minutes...

Well as of right now I am staying in a hotel until an apartment opens up. I also still have a NC license and NC license plate. Is that a problem?
    yes... You're not going to be able to buy anything until you establish residency.

OldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Texas
    I think you are supposed to get a Texas Drivers License within 10 days of coming here if it is your intent to be a resident. Not that this has anything directly to do with buying a gun, just that they don't want folks moving here and then driving around for 3 years on another state's license. By getting that license, even if you haven't found a more permanent place to live, you will have evidence that you have in fact become a resident. Then you can buy a gun. If your address changes after you get your license, you have something like 10 more days to change the address on the license by going down to DPS and notifying them of the change.

Now about that gun. I agree with the other guys that a true 'long distance' gun is usually a custom build that typically will cost thousands. That's not to say you can't find some standard factory offerings that are pretty good shooters. Generally speaking, Savage rifles have a reputation for being the best bang for the buck when it comes to accuracy, especuially those with 2 numbers in the model designation as opposed to 3 numbers, like a 10 FP for instance. Some of these Savage models have a crappy black plastic stock on them that looks like it was intentionally designed to be replaced. And you can get some nice repacement stocks starting under $100 (Boyd's Stocks). That just means what you're paying for is the action, not the stock.

Personally I have had good luck with Browning rifles, especially those with the BOSS system that improves accuracy.

Top Bottom