• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Also pretty sure it's been debunked in the US as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    Do we really now?

The FBI created the .40 to cover its own incompetence in the "Miami Massacre" in 1986. I suppose the 9mm was inadequate in that engagement, but as they were facing assault-rifle armed killers, any handgun would have been. FBI leadership knew exactly who they were going after and chose to go armed with handguns and a couple of shotguns.

It was an agent armed with a good ol .38 special who finally settled their hash, though both had already received fatal hits from 9mms. Unfortunately, they killed 4 agents and wounded 10 more before expiring. So the 9mm got thrown under the bus to conceal incompetent leadership.

BTW, you may have noticed a flood of police trade in .40s on the market lately. That's because the FBI switched back to the 9mm and a lot of agencies have followed suit. With proper ammo, it as just as effective, easier to shoot, and carries more ammo.

About the only niche the .40 fills is ISPSA/IPSC competition. It makes major power factor with 2-3 more rounds per magazine than the .45.
    Actually the 10 mm was what the fbi initially found superior. They went with the 10mm lite or 40 s&w as most of the fbi agents found the 10 mm recoil too difficult to handle (glock 20 seems to tame it) . Currently they are switching back to the 9mm as bullet technology had progressed so that there is little difference in wound damage between the 10 mm, 45, 40 and 9mm. That is of course with self defense rounds. Ball ammo 45/10 mm then 40 then the 9mm in that order. Now shot placement is the buzz word of the day. If that's the case then 22 lr and or 22 mag should be king. But hey that's just my opinion. You know what they say " opinions are like ass holes .... every body has one"

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    .454 ball from a Walker with a 60gr charge is king.

Fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Gun Review: Classic cap and ball revolver calibers get the ballistic gel test

In this test, we used the most common calibers in the cap and ball world: 31, 36, and 44. Let’s take a brief look at what each caliber brings to the table:

All three calibers exceed or surpass the FBI 12-18-inch threshold for handgun effectiveness in 10 % ordnance gel. If the slow-motion animation is to be believed, the 36 and 44 have greater energy imparting capabilities than the 9mm FMJ projectile tested.

http://www.guns.com/review/gun-review-classic-cap-and-ball-revolver-calibers-get-the-ballistic-gel-test/

bob

Last edited:

pcmolter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    .380 w a 107 grain pancake round is just as lethal as a 40

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Boy, talk about a Dumb Ass! I read this thread from start to finish! It got me scratching at the bullet hole where that "pipsqueak" .22 hit me.

Maybe it's time to drag out the old "I got shot/stabbed" stories or the stupid old fight stories. There's probably one or two members that haven't heard them...............snicker!

Flash

pcmolter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    I like my sig Sauer 380 it's small and fits in my pocket

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads