• ...and so much more!
  • Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Don't let these caliber clowns dissuade you from smaller calibers. They'll still kill a full grown man dead as shit if they hit the CNS and follow up shots are a lot easier if you are using a caliber you can control the recoil on.
    Completely agree.

The only issue I have recommending a 22LR (if there are other options) is because .22LR's (in semi's) are more prone to misfires than centerfire cartridges.

A .22LR revolver - just squeeze the trigger again.

A semi auto .22LR -- the shooter better know how to tap/rack and clear jams.
    Guns International

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I didn't read through all the responses so forgive me if I give a similar response to someone else. For a small woman I would probably lean more towards an AR-15. While I keep a shotgun next to my bed, and do feel a shotgun is one of the best home defenses, I don't think it's best for everyone. An AR-15 has far less recoil and less weight than most shotguns. It's also often shorter and easier to aim. I believe an AR-15 is easier to learn to shoot well with over a handgun. Most women that are new to firearms, that I observed, are often surprised how easy an AR-15 is to shoot.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    All guns are deafening and blinding in a room especially if you just awoke. Even a .22lr. Ammo cost isn't so bad if you shop. Just bought 12 boxes of .22 WMR online. Ammo cost isn't everything. If you learn how to use the pistol before needing it then it shouldn't be dorky. Just like anything else you have to learn all about what you intend to do and use.

If you haven’t shot a PMR30 Moonpie is exactly right. It is extremely loud and the flash is huge.

If I could post videos here I could provide an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I didn't read through all the responses so forgive me if I give a similar response to someone else. For a small woman I would probably lean more towards an AR-15. While I keep a shotgun next to my bed, and do feel a shotgun is one of the best home defenses, I don't think it's best for everyone. An AR-15 has far less recoil and less weight than most shotguns. It's also often shorter and easier to aim. I believe an AR-15 is easier to learn to shoot well with over a handgun. Most women that are new to firearms, that I observed, are often surprised how easy an AR-15 is to shoot.

The muzzle blast alone will disorient most people including the shooter when fired indoors especially unsuppressed. Suppressed is bad enough, but unsuppressed will be awful.

I do agree it’s a great choice for a very experienced shooter but not for an elderly inexperienced shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    :facepalm:

I'm a fan of pistol caliber carbines for inexperienced shooters. Easy to aim like a rifle, but low recoil and muzzle flash so it won't startle them as much to fire it. Plus ammo is a little cheaper hopefully encouraging them to practice more.

I'm with Dan here on this one. a PCC will be easier to handle and shoot for a new shooter. Minimal recoil, plenty of man-stopping power, way more rounds on tap vs a shotgun if we're using a modern gun that takes pistol magazines.

The Ruger PCC or the Beretta Storm 9mm carbine would be my first two picks. I've shot both, I tend to favor the Storm more because it fits left or right handed shooters better - you can setup the Beretta to eject left or right, charge it left or right. Beretta 92 mags are plentiful.

Either gun can be setup with optics and lights if you can push for at least a light on the gun for target ID, and get her used to using it. Safeties on either gun are fairly easy to learn and use, but I would probably train her to keep the chamber empty, the mag full, and just chamber a round as needed for bump in the night. Once she's comfortable enough with that, maybe pick up a pistol she can keep loaded for those moments where you don't have time to retrieve the long gun and chamber a round. A 9mm EZ Shield is great option for that.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Why do people believe that indoors is the only time home defense comes to mind? Besides a shotgun, I also keep my carry handgun next to my bed. In fact I have guns strategically placed throughout my home.

Explain the situations one may encounter in home invasions and help them decide what works best for them. Let them tryout different firearms and find out what is more comfortable for them to shoot. The last thing you want to do is push them into getting something they are unsure they can handle. What works for one, isn't always good for another.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I did not read the whole thread. I would get her an AR with a red dot. Low recoil and easier to find get sights on the target and fire.

Also a 2 point sling so she can't get unarmed quickly

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If that's a .22 LR then so be it.
    My grandmother had a .22 revolver that she carried with her everywhere; legal or not. She even smuggled it into the hospital and nursing home. It wasn't until she had multiple strokes and was bed ridden than she told my uncle to keep it safe for her.

I have no idea if she ever had to use it, but I know she was a crack shot with her .22 rifle.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My mother in law
    After reading through all the varied suggestions in the thread, including my own, I don't really see faults with any of them, but... What does she like?

I think a gun that she finds attractive or comfortable will be one she's more likely to practice with, and a gun you practice with is better than the perfect tacticool home defense rig that just collects dust behind the nightstand.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Just running my mouth here but we’re arguing over equipping an elderly woman.
    A non-shooter one at that.
    Anything that kicks or has massive muzzle blast is going to cause her to put it away.
    A .22 pistol is a joy to shoot.
    Ammo is affordable and available.
    A pistol such as the Kel-Tec P-17 can be purchased for ~$250. Fixed income folks can’t and won’t drop $500+ bucks on a gun. Especially one they dislike shooting.
    The very light weight is easier to handle for elderly arms.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    After reading through all the varied suggestions in the thread, including my own, I don't really see faults with any of them, but... What does she like?

I think a gun that she finds attractive or comfortable will be one she's more likely to practice with, and a gun you practice with is better than the perfect tacticool home defense rig that just collects dust behind the nightstand.
    The problem is I don't think she knows yet. But I think the reason she found her friends shotgun recommendation so appealing is she thinks going with a shotgun will = no need for training because you can just point a shotgun in a general direction and just fire and you have a good chance of hitting your target!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The problem is I don't think she knows yet. But I think the reason she found her friends shotgun recommendation so appealing is she thinks going with a shotgun will = no need for training because you can just point a shotgun in a general direction and just fire and you have a good chance of hitting your target!
    Training in a house with high, low, and near ready i find more useful than a shotgun in tight areas. Near ready is very useful.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Whatever she's willing to shoot.

Handguns offer poor ballistics, but if she already has a carry gun, it'll work fine

Shotguns offer great power when paired with proper loads (not birdshot), but are very easy for novice shooters to jam

Rifles offer good power (depending on caliber) and are easy to become proficient with

A vetted 10/22 with a decent red dot wouldn't be my ideal HD gun, but a lady with one and the knowledge to use it beats a lady with a shotgun that cant handle it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    My Great-grandmother grandmother (mother and daughter) lived to be 98 and 100 respectively. They were no strangers to firearms and their use. Both of them lived more of their lives with out a husband than when they had one (both men died). Both women kept a S&W snubby in their nightstands. They lived through some tough times in both urban and very rural environments... They never had to use their pistols for home defense... but, the pistol was there in the nightstand.

In my opinion the most important thing for a woman, especially an older woman, is going to be the willingness to use the firearm IF the time comes. I also believe that a revolver is a better choice for a new firearm owner.

Someone, early in this thread suggested a 22 lr. A 22 revolver with a 4" barrel would be just the ticket for her to start learning on. An older woman on the petite side could develop a flinch after just a few practice rounds from a shotgun. A handgun is easier to use but is much more dangerous in the hands of someone not use to it. Therefore a lot of range time and safety instruction is in order. The SIL needs to practice as well. At some point she may move up to a 38 spl, but if not, then the 22 lr will likely serve the purpose, especially since she will likely never have to use it...

When my grandmother was about 90 I went to see her. She went to her bedroom and returned with a pistol case. She said, "Bubba, I'm not ever going to get to shoot someone with this. You may as well take it." I had loaded it for her about 20 years before that and there were those same rounds still in it... It's a nice little Detective Special. She actually carried it in her purse through the George Parr years in Duval
    County. I also have the Mod 37 that belonged to my Great-grandmother....

I don't know if they were any safe for having the pistols, but I know they felt safer.

One last thing... When there are two people living in one house and one or both of them has a gun for home defense, they need to be very cognizant about where they are and what they are doing. If one of them is up raiding the fridge at 2 AM, they need to be very awake and very aware if the one with the gun wakes up and hears some rummaging around in the house...

Alan

Top Bottom