• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    I'm currently in the market for a new survival knife and a new fixed EDC blade. I've looked at several brands from TOPS, to Swamp Rat, and even SOG.

That said, I'd like to spend less than $200 on each, so I'm considering the Tops Silent Hero, Tops Anaconda 7B, Tops Screaming Eagle Hunter, and Swamp Rat Ratmandu CG. I like these due to their quality, designs, and pricepoints.

Including these, along with your personal favorite, what would be the best two knives under $200 each to fill these two needs?
    DK Firearms

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm a big fan of ESEE. I own a couple. I have the 5" which is a lot thicker than the other models, but is exactly 5.5" long, and the candiru. Which is their smallest Blade. With the scales it is very handy.

I want a 3" version.

Carbon steel. Most under a hundred each.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I've never heard of any of the knives you mentioned. That might tell you all you need to know.

However, I use and love this automatic from Boker. And it's $39.

Boker Kalashnikov Automatic Knife Green Olive Drab (3.25" Black) - Blade HQ

boker-kalashnikov-01kals02n.jpg

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I like the Spyderco line up. I've got a Delica British Racing which has the ZDP189 Steel. MSRP is around $160, but Knifeworks has them discounted to $75.39

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    For <$200, you can get a great custom knife made to your specs. There are a lot of great knife makers here in TX and I also know a couple of great ones in GA. Look into it. I have two (a fixed blade hunter and a filet knife) and if I ever want a defensive folder or fixed blade, I will be going custom.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    Thanks for the feedback, KEEP IT COMING!

I have a Kershaw folder I've had for a couple of years, as well as a Walther 5" fixed and a Puma 4" fixed, plus my ever trusty Ontario Blunt Nose Machete...which has been my main chopper for a while and has seen a lot of action.

The reason I'm looking for others is because I'm not a fan of standard stainless steel or the Chinese made blade of the Walther...even though my Chinese Kershaw folder has been a solid EDC for a while. The Puma, while being German, just isn't up to the tougher tasks at hand when I'm off the map camping and exploring.

I'm really looking for a great 7-8" survival knife in one platform, plus another 5.5" fixed that's solid enough to lash and throw, peel an apple, or cut tender with. A blade that will last and last after tens or hundreds of sharpenings in acidic soil or salt spray. That said, 1095 High Carbon Steel is my lust-material, so that's why TOPS is at the top of my list.

That is to say, I'm open to new brands I'm unfamiliar with. I'm going to look more deeply into those ESEE and see what they have to offer, as well the idea of replacing my Kershaw with a Benchmade because I really o dig the Griptillian Mini.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    SR101 in the Ratmandu is as easy to sharpen as 1095 and it takes a sharper edge as well.

It is really a better steel - that's why Busse uses it - it's just a little more $.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    My absolute favorite carry knife is a Benchmade 522 in 440c. I've owned Benchmade autos in cr154. Fixed blades in D2.

I have two 522's. One with a black blade. The other is in the white. The black I carry, the non coated is back up. In case I can't find the first.

I sharpen on a dull course diamond. Run it down a ceramic steel a few times. It'll shave hair. I've done everything but use it as a screwdriver or pry bay. Benchmade are amazing tools.

Feel naked without it.

Top Bottom