• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone able to recommend a place that deals in consignment sales in San Antonio? I have a few rifles to liquidate and am hoping to do so without paying more than a max of 20% commission.

Thanks.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Get the required posts and list them here in the classifieds. Just be sure to read the rules first.

Texasguntrader.com is a decent free sales site also. Just beware of scammers.

mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Thanks. Do you recommend accepting a CHL copy for screening prohibited persons?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I don't think people are going to want to send you a copy of their CHL. You can probably get away with asking to see their Texas DL and CHL but I'm not sure about a permanent copy for your records.

And don't ask about a Bill of Sale... bad things will happen if you do :)

mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Many of the items I have purchased over the years came with a bill of sale. Respectfully, what is the drawback to such a document?

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    It's just not required here in Texas and some people take an exception to it. At the end of the day, it will just reduce the number of people that might be interested in purchasing the firearm....

plus you'll get an earful from forum members :rolleyes:

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Respectfully, what is the purpose to such a document?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    It's proof of a purchase, correct? Particularly in a local environment the purchaser might like such a thing.

For the seller (and purchaser), it provides some documentation of the item's fate. That seems appealing to me.

mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Back to the point, which is really just about exploring means of protecting oneself from an illegal sale. Perhaps simply using an FFL is the safest approach...

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ive sold on gunbroker. (higher sale price, hassle of shipping)
    Ive sold on texasguntalk. (was local and easy)
    Ive sold at the gun show. (costs $10 to sell, will gets lots of interest and low ball offers but ive been happy the few times ive done this. Can also trade easily)
    Ive sold on consignment at the LGS. (good prices, may take a while)
    Ive sold out right and traded at the LGS (instant cash, lowest price, easiest)

Im terribly impatient. I also dont have time or energy to deal with leaving a gun in a shop or listed online for weeks and weeks. I wish i did but i dont.

Asking for a bill of sale or CHL will greatly reduce your sale price and ease of sale.

Call/email some shops in your area. A good thing about consignment is they can help you price them appropriately.

When selling privately unless i know the person i ask to see a CHL. I dont make a copy or ask for bill of sale.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    It's proof of a purchase, correct? Particularly in a local environment the purchaser might like such a thing.

For the seller (and purchaser), it provides some documentation of the item's fate. That seems appealing to me.

Its very unappealing to me. You need the cash and i want the gun or vice versa. If i have the slight feeling you might be restricted as per texas law i wont even deal with you. However, thus far i havent dealt with anyone like that. If you have a great price and someone is that hard up for what youre selling they might bite even with a BoS. But mostly youre reducing your client base by doing so.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    A request for a BoS tells me the seller doesn't know the law, and therefore isn't someone I care to deal with. They wanna SEE my TDL, that's cool. They want my verbal affirmation that I can legally own/buy a firearm, that's fine.

A BoS has NO legal standing, is NOT admissible in court, and is something I will *not* do. Period.

mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    "A request for a BoS tells me the seller doesn't know the law, and therefore isn't someone I care to deal with."

I beg your pardon, sir. To me, a BoS is not sought for legal purposes, at least not in the sense that you're imputing. If you bought a used car from someone, you might as well expect they'd want a BoS. Why should a firearm purchase be any different?

I agree that it doesn't replace a NICS but it ought to be able to show that the firearm was indeed sold to another person. If this is what you are referring to as "inadmissible" in Texas, I guess I will explore other potential avenues for sales of a nice collection of pre-ban, NIB stuff.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Cars require registration in Texas, firearms do not...

Also look into the legal requirements of protecting another person's PII.

Last edited:

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    That's what he is implying. You wont find anyone as vehemently opposed to a BOS as TR. I don't like them, would rather not deal with it, but if it's a good deal, it ain't gonna stop me.
    Think of this, what's to stop me from selling a gun and then forging a document that says you bought it. Without being notorized, it's junk. Sure there is signified analysis and so forth, let me know how that goes for you in court.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    If you must have them out of your name to sleep at night, go through an FFL.
    Otherwise post them on here, sell to a known member, and enjoy the extra cash.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    If you must have them out of your name to sleep at night, go through an FFL.
    Otherwise post them on here, sell to a known member, and enjoy the extra cash.

Yep, even though this forum has gained a lot of attention and new members i deal with complete confidence when i buy/sell on here or any other forum ive been a long standing member of. But mainly this forum because of how most of us interact here.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom