• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • safarigene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Jonesboro
    Right now my hog rifle is a Winchester Super Express 375 H&H. Used it to get this hog a couple days ago.

102_1694.jpg

I am working on loading some ammo up for my Remington 788 in 6mm and this will be me go to rifle unless I am shooting only hogs.

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    For varminting purposes I've always been a fan of the Ruger Mini-14. It's not a tack driver by any means, but it's cheap, there's tons of accessories, the ammo isn't too bad but it still packs a punch (especially the 45-grain JHP stuff). Plus, if you drop it or knock it around a bit, it's no big deal.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My wife uses a Ruger M77 Mark II in 25.06 with a Simmons 9x scope. It shoots straight and will take anything in Texas.

I use a pistol for hogs, have never had a chance to fire at a coyote....so I can't add much more.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I'm planning on using my AR for varminting. I really really wish my dad would give up his Mini-14. He never uses it and it just screams "mod me!!"

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    For coyotes Youd be very well off with an AR in any caliber aside form 22lr. For Hogs though I am not sure 223 will be enough. Maybe a 6.8 upper and you can do both.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    . For Hogs though I am not sure 223 will be enough. .

I second his concern about .223 for hogs. I am sure somebody has tried, I just have not heard anything. We have had great results with a .243, but .223 only puts about 55-70% of the energy of a .243 downrange.

Our foreman at the ranch stopped by this weekend with a new .223 AR, but he was just sighting it in at our range. I should know how it does by Christmas, but I'm sure somebody will chime in with more info before then.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I second his concern about .223 for hogs. I am sure somebody has tried, I just have not heard anything. We have had great results with a .243, but .223 only puts about 55-70% of the energy of a .243 downrange.

Our foreman at the ranch stopped by this weekend with a new .223 AR, but he was just sighting it in at our range. I should know how it does by Christmas, but I'm sure somebody will chime in with more info before then.

People use AR's for Hogs, heck I have a friend who has a kill with 22lr. Placement is everything. That said, you wont find me trying to kill a hog with a 22lr.

SKS in .308??? Never heard of that one, you sure it wasnt a 7.62x39?? There would be another good choice for an AR upper. Pleanty of cheap ammo available.

Top Bottom