• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    OK, looking for opinions on the best AR sling out there. My Armalite currently has no sling. As a buddy of mine once put it, a rifle without a sling is like a pistol without a holster. So, I am looking for advice about what type/brand of sling might suit my needs best. My initial thoughts are that I need a single point sling with some stretch to it. My rifle has sling attachments already on it but I know I'll have to install the mount for a SP to the buffer tube. That should be no big deal. But...I have seen a few traditional slings, usually mounted stock side up that look like they work just fine. I plan on leaving the sling permanently mounted. My AR is a no safe queen and sees use at the range and in the field/country. Can you really run and move with the single point ? Or will it be bouncing off my legs as I move through the brush ? Hopefully I'll get some input from someone whose been there.:1zhelp: Thanks - Texmex
    Target Sports

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The sling you described, " a single point sling with some stretch to it" is the way to go! I ordered them for all of our department's ARs and everybody, including me, loves them. I cant remember what brand I got, but I got them at GT's in Austin. It has a quick release so you can get it off in a hurry if you need to. Once you go to the single point style you wont want anything else.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    magpul ms2 sling is my choice. It is capable of 2 or single point usage and it has nice big clasp that are easy to use with or without gloves. I dont like bungee slings they are mainly single point and that leaves out your options in carrying the rifle. Also I dont like the way the bunge ones bounce when transitioning right to left and secondary transitions, Also I will suggest the bds single or 2 point sling. The magpul adjust a little easier but the bds one has nice clasps on it. Also both slings use a easy emergency release.

YouTube - Magpul ShotShow 2009 Part 1

Here is the bds dual point sling

Tactical Two Point Slings By BDS Tactical

I dont like 3 point slings due to too many straps and crap everywhere. Disclaimer I am a former Marine and used the mamba sling which I didnt know any diffrent at that time, these are my opinions based on my carbine experience as a civilian shooting three gun shoots and matches and such. Im not a professional operator nor a soldier of fortune but I did stay at a
    holiday inn once.

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    Single point is good for getting in and out of vehicles, but for moving around, you need a hand on the rifle. For carrying and shooting, 2 point is better for me. Both are good for CQB. Not sure I can think of a good reason for 3 points to exist.

I like V-Tac, but others could be ok.

Lee

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Never have liked the idea of mu gun bouncing around on a bungie especially on a single point sling. Could end up badly for your boys. I prefer a 2 point sling myslef. They cost a little more but I like the Gear Sector offerings.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I've got the Magpul sling shown in the video above on my Mini-14's set up with the ATI Strike-Force stock...nice sling, easy to use, hangs where you want it, and you can sling it snugly on your back if you need your hands free and MBR out of the way for some reason.

On the other Mini's and on my shotguns I have a Browning X-Cellerator that I like real well, too.

If you want a Tacticle Sling, go Magpul...if you want a nice, all around sling, take a look at the X-Cellerator!

Browning X-Cellerator Sling Nylon - MidwayUSA

jovatr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Houston
    x2 on the magpul ms2. I've got it on my AR and it works very well. Instant change from single to 2 point comes in handy more than I thought.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    After reading about these slings on ARFCOM I decided to try one until I found one I liked better. I only use it at the range so really didn't need a tactical super sling. Problem is I that I liked it so much that I never got around to getting one of the top name sling 2P Cinchable Two Point Sling

kaiserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Mansfield, Texas
    After reading about these slings on ARFCOM I decided to try one until I found one I liked better. I only use it at the range so really didn't need a tactical super sling. Problem is I that I liked it so much that I never got around to getting one of the top name sling 2P Cinchable Two Point Sling

If you buy one of these remember the buckles are on the back of your neck while slung in front. You may want to check out the VCAS or VTAC slings

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Boy this is an excellent thread. I have been struggling with sling selection and you guys have made some great suggestions. I was impressed that many of you supplied links to the products you discussed.

Some times these threads have a few asshats with comments that add no value. This entire thread has high quality discussion.

Thanks to all.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been shooting AR's in 200 and 600 yard matches for about 7 years. I'll give you a match shooter's secret. We all use the M1 Garand web slings. Some of the guys have those fancy leather slings but if they compete long enough, they soon drop them in favor of the M1 cloth sling. I know......the black rifle boys have handy dandy slings for their Mattel rifles. We don't carry the rifles much but we get the scores out of them at long distances by using the M1 Slings.

I shoot Expert to Master at 200 yards with the AR so it seems to work for me.

Flash

Grinch247

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Texas
    ive used a blackhawk single point for 3 years now... one of which was in iraq, personally i feel theres no better way to sling an ar15. now if you have a rifle and not a carbine, then id go with something different. as far as bouncing around, i dont have to much of an issue with that since im either at the "low ready" when im outside the wire or have my hand on the pistol grip while walking around the fob.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Storm-Sling-1-PT,470,1342.htm

desperado8556

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Spring
    I usually use two point here stateside but down range i'll attach a wolf clip to the buttstock for when i'm riding on patrol. Vickers Tactical slings are some pretty good quality slings, I like that you can adjust how much slack on the fly. $45 but well worth it.

Magpul MS2 are nice theory slings, but anyone with a LE or MIL background will tell ya that they are cosmetic and will wear out if used out on patrol. But if the weapon is just used for range days and other recreation, the MS2'll do fine.

jjonegoodshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    i've got the magpul ms2 sling with the asap and love it. i've also used the troy VTAC, and liked that as well. i think magpul is coming out with a new ms3 sling soon...looking forward to it!

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've shot 2-gun matches and almost everyone uses a single-point sling. They are quick to bring the rifle up to shooting position and quick to sling it down. You are going to put one hand on the rifle/carbine if you run. But think about it, are you really going to run around with your AR-15? If you do find a reason to do so, are both your hands going to be full of something that you can't hold the rifle?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have come to the conclusion that, for most people's needs, a good, modern single point sling like the Magpul MS2 is probably the most effective. It's situation dependent which type works best, but for most of us we're talking about simple field use, defensive use, close quarters/urban use (home defense, SHTF, LE, etc). With a good single point mounted properly on an AR (ideally around the rear receiver plate), you have a very free range of movement, can easily transition shoulders for ambidextrous shooting, can still easily transition to a sidearm, can go hands free quickly for any other reason. Also, with the adjustable single points like the MS2, there are other capabilities (convert to 2 point) so you can secure the weapon to focus on other things (climbing, etc).

Top Bottom