• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    ive used a blackhawk single point for 3 years now... one of which was in iraq, personally i feel theres no better way to sling an ar15. now if you have a rifle and not a carbine, then id go with something different. as far as bouncing around, i dont have to much of an issue with that since im either at the "low ready" when im outside the wire or have my hand on the pistol grip while walking around the fob.

BLACKHAWK! Storm Sling (1-PT) - BLACKHAWK!

+1, I have the same BHSP sling
    Capitol Armory ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I nabbed a Blackhawk QD single point at Academy recently. IIRC I paid something like $20 for it. Funny to see tactical gear in mass-market stores...

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    I make and sell my own versions of Three, Two and One point slings but the one I keep coming back to and what's found on most of my rifles is a simple Two-point carry strap. Unless I'm kicking in doors, riding in a vehicle or walking a perimeter, I don't like to strap in and wear the weapon. Sometimes you need to equip for the mission but if the mission is unknown, versatility is desirable and I find that in the two-point carry strap. I really can't see paying $50 for a sling, no matter how cool it is. And if it needs an instruction manual, I'll pass.

Spiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Rockwall
    I guess the single point is best as long as you like getting smashed in the knees and nuts, and you don't mind a rifle flopping around like crazy. I've got an MS2 on my zombie gun and a VTAC on my competition rifle. For everyday needs, 2 point is the way to go. I wish the MS2 had an adjustment system like the VTAC - that would be the ultimate sling.

atacorion

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Jacksonville FL
    MS2 by far the most versatile sling for your money. It has its draw backs as a two point and I think a VTAC or a Blue Force gear has a slight edge when it comes to two points but as a single point it is the S%$&!!!!!
    I run MS2's on all my carbines and SBR's for quick rapid deployment/CQB shooting and my battle rifle runs a Blue Force 2 point for comfort on long hikes/hunts.

Figure out what you are gonna use it for 95% of the time and go with that setup. If you cant decide the MS2 is a good option.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    It's cool to see so many people, especially actual servicemembers, in favor of the single point sling. However, how do you feel about having your rifle dangling around pointed at your toes if you have to drop it to transition to your sidearm? My mall ninja self would only grab for my side arm in 2 cases: I'm completely out of ammo for my AR or my AR quit firing and a quick TRB didnt get it going again. In either of thoses cases the rifle is unlikely to accidently dicharge, but you either have a roasty toast barrel swinging around your nuts and or a loaded, out of control, malfunctioning weapon that could suddenly decide to function again at the worst possible moment. '

Wouldnt a 3pt sling provide the benefits of a single point and add the ability to maintain some amount of control over the rifle even when you drop it?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's cool to see so many people, especially actual servicemembers, in favor of the single point sling. However, how do you feel about having your rifle dangling around pointed at your toes if you have to drop it to transition to your sidearm? My mall ninja self would only grab for my side arm in 2 cases: I'm completely out of ammo for my AR or my AR quit firing and a quick TRB didnt get it going again. In either of thoses cases the rifle is unlikely to accidently dicharge, but you either have a roasty toast barrel swinging around your nuts and or a loaded, out of control, malfunctioning weapon that could suddenly decide to function again at the worst possible moment. '

Wouldnt a 3pt sling provide the benefits of a single point and add the ability to maintain some amount of control over the rifle even when you drop it?

I think if someone is trying to force feed you some lead, a rifle swinging around and banging you in the legs a little bit is the least of your worries as it is a short term thing while you draw your secondary and deal with the problem. The nice thing about the MS2 and slings like it is, once you've dealt with that problem and have time and opportunity, if the primary cannot be fixed, just switch to 2 point mode, sling it around your back, pull it tight and now the gun is secured. The real attraction with an adjustable 1 point is simplicity. 3 points tend to be overly complicated. 2 points are less complicated and a nice improvement. 1 point allows you a ton more freedom and versatility as far as shooting ambidextrously without choking yourself out. ;)

The way I look at it, for most people's needs, the MS2 as well as similar single points are probably ideal for most of us. Quite a few of us live in or near urban areas. That free range of movement a single point offers is a huge benefit for close quarters stuff IMO.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    With a single point, if you have a little time (doesn't take much) and need your primary up and out of the way, you lean your head to your support side and flip the primary over your strong side shoulder. It's not as comfortable as a 2 or 3 point, no, but it keeps it out of the way and it's quick to get it there and quick to get it back. Probably won't work with a ruck, but you aren't going to carry behind you with any sling if you've got a ruck... Tossing your primary over your shoulder like that allows you to kneel and/or get hands-on without banging your weapon into the ground and yourself or of someone getting hold of it. If a pro is giving medical aid to someone or is securing a prisoner, that move is exactly what they should use to deal with the situation.

Personally, I've tried all three types and found the 3 point to be kind of senseless. 1 and 2 point are the only two I would bother with, the 3 works just like a 2 point that's trying to be a 3 point. I actually tore a 3 point apart and turned it into a 2 point.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    For those who don't know what the MS2 is: http://cdn.magpul.com/downloads/MS2_INSIDE_2_FINAL.pdf

I'll give the MS2 a shot, it appears to be a lot more flexible than what I have now.

I actually agree that in an 'exciting' event I doubt having your M4 pointed at your toes while you get your sidearm in to action will be of much concern. My interest is finding what will work best and what can be taught to other people. There is also the aspect of safety a tactical range where most mall ninjas live. Some of the MNs I see make up for their enthusiams with a total lack of common sense. Which is why keeping weapons under control is of so much interest.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As far as the concerns about muzzle sweeping your lower extremities with a 1 point, think of it like this. If your primary goes down, it's because one of a few things happened. You have a malfunction, parts breakage, or you are out of ammo and don't have time and opportunity to reload. In either case, the gun is disabled and cannot fire, so it's a non-issue. If we pay attention to detail in our training, the same will be true.

There is one method of thought that, in training, just flip the safety on before letting go of the primary. In many cases, this is too slow, and it is a training scar. Besides, why train yourself to transition when you subconsciously know that your primary still has ammo and is functioning?

In real life, if your gun is disabled for whatever reason, it's pointless to flip it on safe as the gun cannot fire and that time is better spent putting threats in the dirt. It's really as simple as setting yourself up for success in your training. Instead of worrying about ND's into yourself, simply set the gun up to run dry or malfunction so that it is physically impossible to fire. Load up mags with only a handful of rounds, keep shooting to bolt lock (empty), then transition. Same thing using dummy rounds, shoot to the "click" then transition. It may seem like a small difference, but subconsciously there is a huge difference and IMO it will make for better and more effective muscle memory.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A sling is a holster for a rifle. I promise you that you muzzle sweep your leg and foot when you're carrying in a holster. Why worry about it with a broken or empty rifle sitting on the end of a sling?

Top Bottom