• ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    2352AD9A-6668-460A-8F89-13D2FD1AA88A.jpeg
    Covered some ground this morning. Very little area ridden on twice today. Lots of drunks. The two McDonalds I went by had lines around the drive throughs that went into the parking lots of the businesses next to them.
    @cycleguy2300 would being willing to wait in a drive through line for 45 minutes for McDs be PC for a DUI ? Lol. I figure if they are in that line they are not running me over so there’s that

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    As long they stay awake the whole time they're good! I've made several arrests when someone on xanax or alcohol fell asleep in the drive through in the wee hours of the morning after bar close.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Since this thread has become the clearinghouse for all things bike, I wanted to see what you folks recommend.

I've always ridden the Academy special. I currently don't have a bike and I'd like to save my pennies for something a bit nicer.

I will probably primarily be trail riding as I don't want to tangle with road traffic though I will do some riding around the neighborhood and paved bike paths.

Can someone recommend a decent mid level bike suitable for that? I'm not fixed on a price but a ball park in my mind's eye is no more than $1,000. Is that reasonable?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Since this thread has become the clearinghouse for all things bike, I wanted to see what you folks recommend.

I've always ridden the Academy special. I currently don't have a bike and I'd like to save my pennies for something a bit nicer.

I will probably primarily be trail riding as I don't want to tangle with road traffic though I will do some riding around the neighborhood and paved bike paths.

Can someone recommend a decent mid level bike suitable for that? I'm not fixed on a price but a ball park in my mind's eye is no more than $1,000. Is that reasonable?
    When bikes are available again 1K should get you a decent entry level bike. I think mine was about 700 before I started upgrading it.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Cool. That sucks on having to wait because I really want to capitalize on all of the changes I'm making now. Especially with the weather FINALLY starting to cool off.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Cool. That sucks on having to wait because I really want to capitalize on all of the changes I'm making now. Especially with the weather FINALLY starting to cool off.
    Check your local bike shops. Mine is getting inventory in and the one I have stopped in here in College Station has had more bikes in as well

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

I’ve done a ton of Research and shopping the last month. Tried to buy several Specialized bikes, Rockhopper was one. A Giant, a Santa Rosa, but they were gone before I could get them. $650 -$900.

Gave up on the online thing and starting hitting shops. Happened upon a fresh shipment of Trek Marlin bikes at Denton Bike Center. Nice guys there. They didn’t have a large built, so the guy built one for me on the spot. Drug the box over to the rack and put it together. It was $680 new. And they adjusted it and tuned it for me.

Other riders I know Said they are good bikes. I’ve ridden it several times since Friday, and it’s a dream. Really happy with it. Highly recommended.

If I did a ton of trails, I would like to have a Specialized Epic. NICE full suspension bike. But with a nice price tag. If you can even find one.

Planning to ride as little as possible on roads. I know two guys that were hit by cars. One died. Don’t want my kids to be orphans.

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

I would do some innernets research and then check craigslist.

Lots of great bikes to be had in that price range.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson

Like Hoji, I have a $700 bike. I dont call it "entry" for my budget but it is compared to what the big guys are riding.
    My wife doesn't ride nearly enough to warrant an expensive. What I did for her Academy special bike was to take it to the local bike shop where I got mine and have them work on it. They do a spring tune up or after storage tune up. They go over everything. It was worth the $85 and the bike has lasted for 3 years since.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I picked up a pair of freebie bikes from a neighbor a couple weeks ago - decent "entry level" bikes that had been sitting in her barn for 10+ years. They are rough. I replaced inner tubes (probably should do tires too, but new tubes got it on the road) a new seat (rats had destroyed the seats) and a set of grips for my bike - the old grips literally started dissolving - I cut them off and added new bolt-on grips.

Discovered my bike also needs new front shifter - and both derailers need tuned. Its an 18 speed, but because it won't shift into the tallest gear in front, or the two tallest and the shortest gear in the rear, its basically an 8 speed.

Its enough to get me on the road in the neighborhood though, and with the workout regimen that I began a couple weeks ago, this is a great addition. My goal for now is to do 2+ miles 2-3 times per week and work up in both miles and intervals. I'm exercising with kettles and dumbbells 5-6X per week now trying to get back into the fat-burn & weightloss routine I was pre-covid. I haven't been on a bike in 15+ years before this week, as my last bike was a Walmart special that broke a derailer and caused me to have a nasty wreck, and I never got around to fixing that bike or riding again.

Feels good! I need to find a bike mechanic and have him/her do a once over on the bikes after I do what I can, my wife would like to ride with me.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    View attachment 232006 Short, painful ride this morning. Anyone recommend good riding gloves. 40’s and my fingers while on the bike is not a combo I like.
    Yeah, I am a sissy about my fingers getting cold.
    Filson Wool!

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    View attachment 232006 Short, painful ride this morning. Anyone recommend good riding gloves. 40’s and my fingers while on the bike is not a combo I like.
    Yeah, I am a sissy about my fingers getting cold.

I wear a pair of Kingsbom “-40f” winter gloves I got off amazon...the -40 is in quotes because after long periods riding, my fingers get kinda cold so I doubt they would do much in -40.

I have no dexterity to draw much less shoot, had to practice getting them off quick. May check out a pair of those ones posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Funny you mentioned gloves Hoji, I've been wearing regular mechanic's work gloves when I ride for the simple fact that if I wipe out, I want my hands protected a bit. I have the kind with the reinforced knuckles. I don't play well with cold hands either - I haven't tried an early morning ride yet, I've done mine in the afternoon.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom