• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Nates0819

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    FT Hood TX
    So I have seen lots of people require a bill of sale. And I've seen lots of people say they are stupid and cannot stand them. What's the deal?
    Texas SOT

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    BOS is only required when registering a Texas made gun.

Seriously dude, do some more searching - please.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wouldn't sell any of my firearms without a BS. BS is very important so that you can show the cops the paper you used for the BS if they ever ask about a gun you sold that is registered to you in Texas.

:p

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ibtl!

Also, since Texas is a non-gun registration state, bill of sales are just silly. Stores need them for tax purposes and I think they need em for random ATF checks. If you're not running a business, then you really have no need for them.

Just figured I would try to be helpful.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

There are tons of long and ridiculously stupid threads on this subject.

At this point some people will only post in them to troll and aggravate people while others will get in to ridiculously heated debates.

A little searching will turn one up that should give you a good long tea on the subject.

Oh, and BoS is stupid.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    A BOS is NOT a requirement, and, in fact, has NO legal standing with ANY agency.

Period.

Asking for one brands you as a clueless wanna-be gun owner - which is why I say that if you want a BOS from me on a gun I'm buying, it ain't happenin'. And if you ask for one on one I'm sellin', I will NOT sell it to you. Ever.

Sorry if it comes across as strong or in your face - not meant that way. It's just that the IDIOT that runs "Texas Gun Trader" put that up on his website, and all the ASSHATS there that have NO clue about 'em think that's the way to do things.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Nates, this topics has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum in multiple threads, I would recommend doing a search and reading what has already be posted. It's a very touchy subject on here...

The bottom line is that a bill of sale has no legal value unless notarized, and even then it only proves the firearm was sold from one individual to another so in a state that doesn't have gun registration, it's pretty much pointless.

Several individuals voiced concern over giving someone personally identifiable information which could lead to identity theft if not properly protected.

Some feel it offers some degree of protection, but that has yet to be proven.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    lol Yes, you. The subject has been beat around ad nauseam here but since you're new you probably haven't seen them so please, do some searching.

Problem is we had a system crash last August or so and they may have been before that and difficult if not impossible to find.

Bottom line, you'll find those who are dead set for and those against a BOS. Cliff notes: in Texas at least there is no legal requirement for one.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Without naming names, a member of this forum recently had contact w/the ATF over a firearm they sold that ended up where it shouldn't have. An affadavit stating the information pertinent to the sale was given, and subject closed. There was no "demand" on their part for any kind of BOS.

Nates0819

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    FT Hood TX
    ok, well first off im new to texas. moved here like 9 days ago. its easier for me to post a thread and read some comments than search the site. that aggrivates you? im sorry. I'm chasing around a 2 year old right now. no time to search. If talking about this upsets you, dont comment lol. its simple. ;) not being a dick, just a realist.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    ok, well first off im new to texas. moved here like 9 days ago. its easier for me to post a thread and read some comments than search the site. that aggrivates you? im sorry. I'm chasing around a 2 year old right now. no time to search. If talking about this upsets you, dont comment lol. its simple. ;) not being a dick, just a realist.

With all due respect, that's a real good 'tude with which to alienate a buncha folks around here. The fact that you think your time is too valuable to do some research doesn't speak much for your respect for fellow forum members.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have signed them for purchases but never required them on my sales. They are a feel good worthless piece of paper with no legal merit. The law does not require it. I can print a bunch up and sign them with anybody's name.

BTW, this thread is about to go wild.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Ah screw it, I'll put on my fire suit :cool:

Cliff Notes:
    1. Bill of Sale is not required for face to face transaction in TX. No documentation is. Unless seller is an FFL.
    2. Some people still want one for whatever reason (personal docs, to pass on if cops ask, because they think they have to, etc.)
    3. Many here will get so wadded up at the mere suggestion, that carbon chains within the cotton fibers of their panties instantly turn into diamond.
    4. As a seller, you can certainly request buyer sign one.
    5. As a buyer, you can certainly deny the request, and seller decides if he still wants to go through with the transaction.

The reasons behind arguing the various viewpoints are as numerous as hairs on your head, but all boil down to two basic opposing ideas:
    A. Tinfoil headgear (which I won't outline, please use search)
    B. Fear of arming someone who may or may not harbor criminal intent

So ...

The "standard" method of verifying the buyer is to simply ask "are you legally permitted to purchase <item> in the state of Texas?" If they say yes, legally, you are off the hook. You're not under any obligation to verify (as if you could anyway). If you fear your firearm being sold to a criminal, then perhaps sell it via consignment through an FFL. You'll lose a few bucks, but if it helps you sleep better at night, it may be worth it to you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom