• ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    This is Coiled's daughter Candi. He couldn't stand the suspense and checked his numbers, then he had some kind of attack so the whambulance hauled him in where he passed . . . . of penial dysphoria. I was unaware of the surgery, he never told me, did he tell you? Sure I'm gonna miss him, but mostly gonna miss the millions I woulda had. I started a GFM account to cover expenses since that dumbass, I mean Dad's savings was emptied out yesterday.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I don't usually buy lottery tickets and just happened to have $2 in my pocket the other day. I Bought 1 ticket, didn't even get 1 number. That seems about right.
    Only takes one, good luck. One time after a big drawing I went and bought a ticket with the winning numbers on the way to work. Office buddy sitting across from me was a big lottery fan. I asked him to read me the numbers, holly shit I won! It took him a minute to realize what I did.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    • First, allow the backup withholding from the $600M lump sum to be at least $100M too high. Lately, the IRS is making lots of mistakes and delaying the issuance of refunds for so long they wind up paying interest at a statutorily mandated rate that is shockingly high. The excess backup withholding is simply a bet that they'll forget my refund for long enough for me to earn some serious money. :)
    • Fix up my home and make a grant to my neighborhood so that things around here can be improved. I love where I live and it could be so much better with an injection of cash. It wouldn't take much and I'd like to give back to the neighbors who have been so helpful to me over the years.
    • Buy a couple of high-rise condos in downtown Houston, one for living when I'm in town, one for parties.
    • Buy 40-1000 acres as close as possible to the population center of Texas. (That's approximately Holland, TX.)
      • Build a nice range (as in a completely baffled 300M rifle range and a bunch of highly equipped pistol and action bays) and an event center with a killer pavilion dedicated to BBQ production and consumption.
      • Try to convince texcross to designate it the official TGT home range.
      • Do my best to host as many shooting press gatherings, reunions, charity events, musical events, etc. as possible.
    • Build two nice houses on that land for me and my sis. Nothing insane or terribly huge but still very, very nice. Fact is, my ideal mansion would be surprisingly small; the blueprints have lived in my head for decades.
    • Grab the 20 or so firearms that completely cover my "holy grail" wants from every stage of my life.
    • Money be damned, buy enough ammo to feed an out-of-control submachine gun habit. :)
    • Hire a competent property manager, an assistant, and a full-time medical caregiver to take care of, respectively, the ranch, my absent-minded self, and my sister's medical needs. Give each of those people the budget they need to do their jobs well.
    • Task my assistant with setting up recurring gifts to certain charities. Given the amounts of money involved, that will probably entail a full-time employee to visit and vet potential recipients...though I already have a good idea where much of the money will go.
    • Hire a CPA who will do my taxes and a CFP who will buy into that famous Mark Cuban philosophy for lottery winners. To wit - "Don't try to invest. Just keep the money safe and spend it enjoying yourself at a rate that's not stupid." He's said that people who win a bunch of money and then try to use it to make a lot more are being greedy and usually wind up broke long before they're dead. They can be sold a bill of goods by some huckster and it never works out well for them. I tend to agree.
    • Travel, occasionally. I don't need my own plane but I'll never fly commercial again. :)
    I think I've put way too much thought into this... :)
    There went the whole wad.

480 Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Mich
    The most obvious is to do a really stupid tax return, committing criminal or civil tax fraud. Even people with lots of money can do outlandish things; think Wesley Snipes or Willie Nelson. (Willie wasn't fraudulent, btw, just really, really stupid.)

Once you've crossed that line, your refunds, years of them if need be, will be tied up while you're investigated. The excess/backup withholding may not come anywhere near clearing your obligation.

Seriously, the monetary penalties are astronomical.
    Would the winner owe gift taxes if he gave away millions to friends and family ?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Would the winner owe gift taxes if he gave away millions to friends and family ?
    Yes, if it was over the (I think) $16 grand from person to person. You have a bit of wiggle room if you are giving to a couple. You can give $16k, your wife can give $16k to each person. So a married couple can technically give another couple over $60k per year and pay no gift taxes.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yes.

I believe that's a bit of the reason that Jack Whittaker had such problems after he won over $300M. One of the first things he tried to do was give a bunch of money to various acquaintances and his church. He was incensed to discover that gifts could be taxable. At the time, he ranted during at least one news conference on the unfairness of anyone having to pay gift taxes since he had already paid taxes on the money once. I always felt (and this is just my theory) that his attitudes toward legal authorities went to hell after that.

Of course, I don't think he ever complained about the taxes that were presumably paid by all the strippers he showered with cash. Or the people who picked up the money he would throw out the window of his new Lamborghini.

Whittaker's story is nothing but heartache and serves as a great cautionary tale about what can happen when someone who is completely emotionally ill-equipped to win anything gets millions of dollars dropped into their lap.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    So the giver and the receiver both have to pay the gift tax, or just the receiver?

Oh wow never mind. Google says only the donor pays tax. That's weird.

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Two charities I would give massive donations to would be St. Judes Childrens Hospital and the Shriners. Just because of all the good they do for children. St. Judes really set the bar for caring for children with some really nasty diseases and they never charge the families for that care.
    Ronald McDonald house is good also, my family needed them and they came through.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom