Birds

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dcav, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Dcav

Dcav TGT Addict

Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    :hammerhead:

What are the black birds, with the fanned out tails that make the cartoon sounding noises called? The first night I was here in Texas I heard the noise and was like what in the F___ was that. Just thought about it again as I am getting ready to leave work. :headscratch:

2. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Probally talking about Grackles
    common_grackle_1.jpg

3. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    They are up and down Jones Road in NW Houston every late summer/fall. Makes my Benelli finger itch.

4. TrailDust

TrailDust TGT Addict

Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    In California we get the Central American Macaws that fly up in the summertime to get relief from the heat down south. Just five or six of these f****n' birds sound like 15 cats with their tails tied together and thrown into a rose bush. You would not believe the ruckus! Like the man said, makes your finger itch to pull the trigger on the old shotgun....:332:

5. Dcav

Dcav TGT Addict

Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Thanks Dee, that is exactly the bird. Everytime I hear them while walking the dog he is like WTF was that and can I eat it.

6. TxPhantom

TxPhantom Active Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Yep, they are Grackles. Funny thing is, I don't remember ever seeing them in Texas when I was young (I still have a pretty good memory). I lived in Kerrville, Tx when a kid and don't even remembr them being that far south.
    Lot's of horny toads though. Don't see much of them anymore.:headscratch:

7. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    You can find Horny Toads all over Ft.Worth. They are the ugly girls that go to TCU! LOL!!!:tongueout:

8. TxPhantom

TxPhantom Active Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I should have seen that coming!!!:banger:

9. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    lol I throw acorns at the birds since I can't fire a bb gun at them. They get noisy in the culdesac now and again.

In Japan we had huge ugly noisy ravens that would fly off with a cat if you let it. They made a real mess tearing trash bags and spreading contents all over the roads.

For horny toads I haven't seen those since we lived in Karnes City. Or when I go dancing on Friday nights.

10. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I think fire ants have a thing to do with not seeing the horned frogs, oh and I hate grackles.