• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    UPDATE: Went back to the ranch to collect my trophy after letting him sit for I guess about a month. Scavengers had done their work on the carcass, and the only thing left was a strewn pile of bones and the hide. I had to trim a little off the skull, but other than that, I was impressed with how clean it was after only 3.5 weeks. It still smelled though.

Brought it home, snapped some pics, and tossed it in the 40 gal trash can I use for cleaning skulls. Filled it with water, and will let it cook for a few months. Should turn out just fine.

Main reason I wanted to retrieve this skull was to see my shot placement. With the .22 round being so small, I could hardly tell where I had hit him immediately after the kill. Turns out that 10/22 is as accurate as I thought: I hit right where I was aiming, in between the eyes. There also appears to be an exit wound on the rear of the skull, but I'm not certain of that. It could've come from the tooth of something that cleaned him up.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Here we go.

y3y8a6ys.jpg

yva6ede2.jpg

y3ype5y8.jpg

3a3enama.jpg

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I wasn't there but I bet all parts of the hog were in Texas.

Would you care to rephrase your question Mr. School Administrator? :p

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Hah! I doubt my IQ doubles anybody's! I'm still trying to get it to double digits! He's just tryin' to mess with me .......... imagine that! You probably have a big hog problem down there! Are ya' pretty much overrun?

It's manageable. After you put a little pressure on them, they leave for a couple months (grass being greener on other side of the fence and all that).

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Congratulations. Nice kill. I usually run around the deer lease with 10/22. Good to know, it WILL take a hog, up close (20-30yds.) anyway.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Congratulations. Nice kill. I usually run around the deer lease with 10/22. Good to know, it WILL take a hog, up close (20-30yds.) anyway.
    A .22 short will kill a hog as well. Does not mean I would make it my first choice. If you happen to see a pig, and the .22 is the only gun you have, sure, if you have a shot . Looking for pigs with a 10/22 is just kind of irresponsible. First off, you are most likely just going to wound pigs. Secondly, wound the wrong pig, and you may well find yourself seriously injured. Read about a guy in Australia that was neutered( one nut anyway) by a wounded pig.

ask yourself this, is their any bet on earth where you would gamble having one of your nuts bitten off if you lose?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    A .22 short will kill a hog as well. Does not mean I would make it my first choice. If you happen to see a pig, and the .22 is the only gun you have, sure, if you have a shot . Looking for pigs with a 10/22 is just kind of irresponsible. First off, you are most likely just going to wound pigs. Secondly, wound the wrong pig, and you may well find yourself seriously injured. Read about a guy in Australia that was neutered( one nut anyway) by a wounded pig.

ask yourself this, is their any bet on earth where you would gamble having one of your nuts bitten off if you lose?
    THANK YOU!

While I am one of the firsts to tout the .22 and even would go so far to say that in a SHTF situation the Ruger 10/22 could easily be the go to gun especially if you have no intention of being in a firefight or conduct offensive opns.

That said I have no problem with using what you got to solve the problem. I have always lived by an objective of 1 shot 1 kill. To effect that one has to caliber for the intended game.

As for the old hack "shot placement is the key"...this is the weakest link in the game for many as it takes time, effort, training and practice along with a LOT of luck of being in the right place at the right time. 35R did a good job, his shot placement was excellent. I also suspect that he like myself growing up on the ranch always had a .22 at hand...mostly for snakes back in those days and I used it quite often. If you want to talk shot placement then go clean out the cotton mouths out of a big lake or creek sometime, now there is a challenging game...

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.

You make a very good point, IF in fact I was "Looking for pigs with a 10/22", which I don't. At minimum I use my Mini-14. My thinking is if I run into hogs, I'll scare them away with the 10/22, but they usually hear my 4-wheeler and leave before I see them. Now, my buddy shot a 60-70lb. pig we caught in the hog trap with a Ruger MK II. It only took one shot between the eyes at close range (~5 yds).

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Concur with Cowboy and Hoji. One should never, ever go looking for hogs with only a .22. If I had been on foot instead of in the truck that day, I would not have taken the shot.

Top Bottom