Black Hills ammo in Houston Area??

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by accordingtoome, Oct 27, 2008.

1. accordingtoome

accordingtoome Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    I live on the west side of town and want to pick up some good 308 match ammo. I usually shoot black hills but cant find at a decent price on it out here. If i was back in cali i could pick up some red box for $20.00 a box. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. malladus

malladus Active Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Only place I've seen it that I can remember is at Gander Mountain at 290 and Highway 6 in NW Houston. They were stocking atleast the .223 and .308 stuff last time I was in there. Blue and Red box.

malladus

3. Fisherman

Fisherman Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    You might try a Cabelas if you have one in the area.

If not you might consider ordering it, perhaps midway usa for starters or check around as at times you can find a better deal.

4. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    Call Black Hills and ask them for the names of their dealers in this area. I have such a list in my office. Why send your biz out of state if you can find it locally?

5. TJ Willy

TJ Willy Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    Can someone explain the blue box, red box difference? I have a red box here that came with my rifle but I am not totally sure what it is about. Pretty new to the AR movement.

:hammerhead:

6. Texas Patriot

Texas Patriot Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    Carters Country carries Black Hills ammo. Probably the one on I-10 and Campbell is closest to you.

7. accordingtoome

accordingtoome Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up. I like to deal as local as i can.

8. Fisherman

Fisherman Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    To my knowledge, red box is new, and blue box is remanufactured.

9. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    The blue box is less expensive as it's remanufactured. This ammo has worked very well for us. We use the 77gr Sierra HPBT for competition out to 300 yds. For 600 yard I handload 80gr Sierra HPBT. When the Black Hills is gone I'll start reloading the 77gr too.

Tomball Pawn & Jewelry, Competition Shooting Sports, Gander Mountain and Carters are all authorized local resellers of Black Hills.

For plinking, the cheaper Russian ammo will work just fine.

10. TJ Willy

TJ Willy Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    Thanks Fisherman and iratollah!!!