• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rodwha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2015
    Lakeway
    I purchase the mutton tallow from Dixie as well.
    A little pricey but a small tub makes a lot of lube.
    The paraffin makes it stiff and it holds well in grease grooves.
    Its quite dense as doesn't mush into cloth very well. You can hot dip but it wastes a lot of lube.
    I've found 50/50 tallow to beeswax works good on patches. Depending on ambient temps adjust the ratio so it doesn't run.
    Supposedly Gatofeo tried all manner of fats in his lube mixes and says mutton is the one that doesn't go rancid. Regular lard from the store has salt and acids in it for shelf preservation. No Bueno against gun steels.

SPG is lube is good stuff iff'n you just want to buy and forgo the mess and hassle of making it.
    I agree with Gatofeo that you want to use a natural based fat instead of a petroleum based product in your lube.
    Since its a hot chore I usually make a large batch once a year during the cooler months. I pour the molten lube into muffin moulds. Each "cake" is about 1/4pound. Then store these in a Tupperware container. They last all year.
    This smells funky so do NOT make it in the house!
    Ball&Chain=screaming Hell Beast monster if you do.
    Please do not ask me how I know this.

I guess my family just isn't as particular as most as I make mine indoors. The excess I poured into a soap mold and cut into little blocks that I've used to "color" in the lube grooves like a crayon (a bit tedious in numbers and want to try pan lining next time).

Last time I made Gatofeo's lube was about 4 years ago and it's still just fine in my closet.

I've not tried to vary the ratios as it's worked just fine for me no matter what season it is. Anyone seeing issues?

I also love Ballistol, which most people seem to hate the smell of. I wouldn't mind if my Right Guard smelled like this...

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Personally, I wouldn't mind if I smelled like black powder or gun powder all the time.
    But my wife claims it stinks. I think you know the rest of the story.....

from an idjit coffeeholic

rodwha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2015
    Lakeway
    I had forgotten to mention that a .40 cal Colt 1851 Navy such as the 5 and only ones created for the Navy to test was something I had in mind. Why they didn't choose a .40 cal over a .36 is beyond me, though it was mentioned that a .36 was deemed enough for a man vs a .44 for the Army where horses and mules might come into play. Maybe...

The .40 cal intrigues me and there's a fellow who created one with a Remington 1858 and uses .41 cal bullets where the chamber is counter sunk to accept that bullet and then shortly rebates to swage it into the chamber. Nifty idea I believe, though I'm fine doing that with the base of my bullets as I like to have Accurate Molds create what I'd like in a bullet (wide meplat).

Top Bottom