• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Not a fan of purposeful torture. Not a fan of allowing family members of the victims at the criminal. Its a good vent to rant about such things; but the reality is that the majority of people would not be better off in any way shape or form after having killed a man. Self defense or defense of others is different than cold meditated revenge.

With that said I wont shed a tear if there is a true accident or glitch and a POS takes longer to die than expected. Not sure why we want to over complicate things in general. Strap to a gurney/chair, load up with Versed and a 22 to the back of the head. Wont feel a thing and be over pretty quick.
    Target Sports

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I can see that this thread is going to be entertaining.

How about using the method the condemned used?

Cruel and unusual? Apparently they didn't care. Why should we?
    You'd have a hard time finding enough people so sick to pull that off. The ways some people are mutilated are much worse than the murder itself...

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    I've seen the Saudi system in action. 7 appeals in a few months, then it's off to the local town square at high noon. The writ gets read, the victims family gets a final thumbs up or down, then thwack, it's over with a single slicing motion. And it's an ongoing reminder that (at least some murder) verdicts and punishments are certain.
    (and in the US, it is 1 of three methods of death for Treason).

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I've seen the Saudi system in action. 7 appeals in a few months, then it's off to the local town square at high noon. The writ gets read, the victims family gets a final thumbs up or down, then thwack, it's over with a single slicing motion. And it's an ongoing reminder that (at least some murder) verdicts and punishments are certain.
    (and in the US, it is 1 of three methods of death for Treason).

Id be OK with the speedy process, but I'd prefer that the bar be set VERY high on the required evidence for a conviction. No circumstantial shit allowed; just factual data backed by first hand eyewitness testimony. Too many people have been proven innocent by DNA or other fact based data after years on death row for me to be comfy with the whole quick and dirty route.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Id be OK with the speedy process, but I'd prefer that the bar be set VERY high on the required evidence for a conviction. No circumstantial shit allowed; just factual data backed by first hand eyewitness testimony. Too many people have been proven innocent by DNA or other fact based data after years on death row for me to be comfy with the whole quick and dirty route.

Agreed

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    It was in AZ I think. Guy was sedated. They checked 7 times. He was snoring and gasping for air. Id prefer he were hung (since he killed a woman) but im not terribly anguished over his death.

Also that people can be so adamantly against the death penalty where a guilty person is killed but fine with abortion where an innocent person is killed completely shows how they are inspired by the devil.

Liberals obviously aren't aware of Isaiah 5:20

Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think "beyond a reasonable doubt" is not enough of a burden for Capital cases. I think a higher standard should be required for Capital cases. I'm more concerned with abuse of an out of control government or just plain bias in a jury.

I'm not against the death penalty, per se, but I think it should be applied with greater reservation (but also greater swiftness if that makes sense).

As far as cruel and unusual punishment - I don't think we should monkey around with that. Taking the higher road shows our humanity and our mercy. A quick bullet, guillotine, hanging or even the needle are fine with me. The gas chamber and electric chair seem cruel and unusual. Actually, a proper hanging is almost instant but I think a lot of people don't understand the physiology.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not sure why you posted this here...or didnt just respond to me via PM.

Well, I opened the pm in tapatalk, and replied, and I guess tapatalk thought this would be a better place to send it.

Had no intention of making our conversation public and I apologize for that.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not a fan of purposeful torture. Not a fan of allowing family members of the victims at the criminal.
    Agreed. That talk is immature posturing.

Id be OK with the speedy process, but I'd prefer that the bar be set VERY high on the required evidence for a conviction. No circumstantial shit allowed; ...
    Yep.

...just factual data backed by first hand eyewitness testimony.
    Nope.

You went off the rails there. Eyewitness testimony is often complete crap. Eyewitnesses who change their testimony to suit the proven facts is way too common to trust anything said by anyone in court unless the provable facts are so overwhelming that eyewitness testimony is essentially unnecessary.

Too many people have been proven innocent by DNA or other fact based data after years on death row for me to be comfy with the whole quick and dirty route.
    Which leads to an inevitable statistical conclusion that innocent people have been executed. No, I won't point to a particular case but I don't think any reasonable person could argue that it hasn't happened.

I think "beyond a reasonable doubt" is not enough of a burden for Capital cases. I think a higher standard should be required for Capital cases. I'm more concerned with abuse of an out of control government or just plain bias in a jury.

I'm not against the death penalty, per se, but I think it should be applied with greater reservation ...
    Agreed (seriously, despite what I say below, I do agree; I'm not against the death penalty) but there are problems with how it's done that mitigate against perfect fairness.

... I'm more concerned with abuse of an out of control government ...
    As far as cruel and unusual punishment - I don't think we should monkey around with that. ...
    It's odd how those two are connected. The Chinese (who execute a whole lot of people) have proved that if you're killing enough people, abuse will creep in. How much were executed prisoner organs selling for back when that was common practice in China?

That's why I'm all hung up about methods. Personally, I'd like to see death by nitrogen inhalation and immediate disassembly of the corpse for transplant organs and tissue. That would be painless and do a great amount of good for society.

Of course, here in the U.S. we've seen judges getting kickbacks from private prisons and collaborating with prosecutors to send innocent people into lockup in a giant cluster of for-profit corruption. If valuable organs were a side benefit from execution, I feel completely sure that corruption would creep into that process, too.

So I have no idea about the best method. I'd like to see something quick and painless that doesn't mutilate the body. You're right that hanging can accomplish this but we all know that there have been plenty of botched hangings.

I see no good solutions. I can definitely see why some folks become across-the-board foes of the death penalty, period.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409

I'm not against the death penalty, per se, but I think it should be applied with greater reservation (but also greater swiftness if that makes sense).

As far as cruel and unusual punishment - I don't think we should monkey around with that. Taking the higher road shows our humanity and our mercy. A quick bullet, guillotine, hanging or even the needle are fine with me. The gas chamber and electric chair seem cruel and unusual. Actually, a proper hanging is almost instant but I think a lot of people don't understand the physiology.

+1. The problem is "what is the higher standard?"

In Texas, only the most heinous crimes are prosecuted with a death sentence on the table. We no longer hang rapists or horse thieves.

Society always has difficulty with putting someone to death in the penal system. That is why so many on death row continue to sit there for 5-10-15 or more years. The Appellate System is our way of dealing with the nasty problem of killing another human being.

Eventually, the condemned runs out of appeals and he gets the needle.

As for mercy, once Society decides to kill him, it should be swift and without remorse. A firing squad would certainly cost less than a lethal injection, and at Seven Yards one volley of .30-06 by 15 marksmen would surely yield the result the State sought in the death penalty.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    While still an ardent supporter of the death penalty, recent events with over-zealous or outright dishonest prosecution make me leery.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    You went off the rails there. Eyewitness testimony is often complete crap. Eyewitnesses who change their testimony to suit the proven facts is way too common to trust anything said by anyone in court unless the provable facts are so overwhelming that eyewitness testimony is essentially unnecessary.

You will note that my post indicated that the evidence should be fact based and backed by testimony. Not testimony alone. Agree they eyewitness testimony is flaky at best. We need to be as certain as possible before we kill someone months/years after the fact. Even with super data there is still a chance for error. Nothing will be perfect.

The only profit that can come from executions is that we will not be dealing with a dangerous criminal ever again. No organ harvest, not one cent of profit should be made. Once you go down that road the road to corruption will be quick. Kill them quick and painlessly and cremate them immediately before the same group that assembled to witness the execution.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Kill them quick and painlessly and cremate them immediately before the same group that assembled to witness the execution.
    That would solve that problem. I hadn't thought of it before...so I'll need to ponder a while. Thanks for the new insight.

Top Bottom