• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    that's what we used growing up. A old school grinder with a pulley instead of a crank handle. It was mounted to a piece of plywood and that also had an electric motor and a belt. Gosh that thing was dangerous, the grinder had that big open funnel, we had a few close calls over the years I remember.

Yeah, it's pretty scary. One wrong move stuffing the meat in the funnel...bye bye fingers. The worst part is you know how they'll look coming out the grinder.
    Capitol Armory ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Well, gave it my first go yesterday evening.

First thing I wanna mention. My buddy gave me an Eastman Outdoors 500w meet grinder. Now I know why:roflsmile:

That thing is loud as hell and very slow. More that one cube of meet and it would jam up, reverse was all but useless. Drop in a cube of meet and let it run until meat stops coming out, then drop another. 3lbs of meat took a while. Easier on the arm than grinding by hand, but probably slower.

Used Vmaxs' recipe. Broke it down to a 1lb recipe for easy figuring. Meant to cut the cayenne in half since LG isn't big in to hot food. Forgot. Also cut the sage by 1/3 figuring I could work back up easily to taste.

Fried up a text pattie and it came out pretty good. Very lean which I like, but not gonna be any grease to cook the eggs in. LG thought it was a little hot, I thought it was Ok but taking it down a little on the cayenne wouldn't kill it, my 6 year old daughter loves it and asked if we could have it for dinner. She did ask for some milk afterwards though.

Will probably try to grind up the hind quarter Sunday with a couple of adjustment to the recipe. Pretty happy with the way it's working out.

Thanks for the help Vmax, and others who have posted.
    that's awesome man, glad to hear you jumped in and got some going

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If I get a connection for a steady supply of meat I will look in to a better grinder. Might even experiment with making some links.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Well, gave it my first go yesterday evening.

First thing I wanna mention. My buddy gave me an Eastman Outdoors 500w meet grinder. Now I know why:roflsmile:

That thing is loud as hell and very slow. More that one cube of meet and it would jam up, reverse was all but useless. Drop in a cube of meet and let it run until meat stops coming out, then drop another. 3lbs of meat took a while. Easier on the arm than grinding by hand, but probably slower.

Used Vmaxs' recipe. Broke it down to a 1lb recipe for easy figuring. Meant to cut the cayenne in half since LG isn't big in to hot food. Forgot. Also cut the sage by 1/3 figuring I could work back up easily to taste.

Fried up a text pattie and it came out pretty good. Very lean which I like, but not gonna be any grease to cook the eggs in. LG thought it was a little hot, I thought it was Ok but taking it down a little on the cayenne wouldn't kill it, my 6 year old daughter loves it and asked if we could have it for dinner. She did ask for some milk afterwards though.

Will probably try to grind up the hind quarter Sunday with a couple of adjustment to the recipe. Pretty happy with the way it's working out.

Thanks for the help Vmax, and others who have posted.

Did this happen? If not, there's a Hicksville lunch thread up that could use a little bit of that recipe. :rolleyes:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've really enjoyed the "backwoods" seasoning packets by LEM that are sold at Academy. Used them for 3 seasons now. The breakfast and hot breakfast seasonings are great. The hot Italian is awesome for making meatballs or adding to pasta sauce. I have also used the Fiesta brand(by Bolners) pan sausage seasoning but it is a little harder to find lately. That stuff also tasted delicious.

As far as grinders, I use an LEM #8, IIRC. It's a noisy sucker but grinds really well. I can work through all quarters of a deer or hog without any signs of slowing down with it. I have the sausage stuffing tubes for it but haven't tried it yet. That grinder was a steal for under 100 bucks, thanks to a "hot deal".

TheRedGoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    canton
    Brookshires, and other stores with their own butchers can be a good resource for off-the shelf sausage recipes. I think the breakfast sausage spice I sometimes use is under 5.00 and does 50lbs of meat.

Also, if you are making sausage at home, try adding ranch dressing powder to your mix. It helps keep water and fat in your sausage and not in the pan.

Powdered milk works too, but the ranch tends to give more flavor.

TRG

wile-e-coyote

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    My brother cooked up some sausage one morning while I was visiting, several years ago. It was a blend of pork and venison with some cheddar mixed in. Wow....now that was good stuff. He had a local shop in Tyler make it I think.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Revisiting this today while hog hunting with a friend. Took one out of the trap yesterday, Vmaxs recipe being put to work today.

Top Bottom