• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    "That's true" that weapons other than assault rifles can kill many people at once, conceded Avery W. Gardiner, co-president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which favors a federal ban on assault rifles but not on shotguns or pistols.

There are more registered weapons in Texas than in any other state, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, though some smaller states have more guns per capita.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Liberals are so damn stupid when it comes to talking about guns. It's like a three year old trying to explain thermodynamics.

I was not aware that weapons are registered in Texas as they are in NY and I think NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, with all respect I would not call that "plenty".
    That's a reasonable point of view. But, as I said, the list isn't complete. Russia, where there have been some high-casualty incidents, isn't anywhere on that page, though it should be. (ETA - Thanks to busykngt for pointing out that Russia is listed once; I missed that.) Also, that list is also just gross body counts, uncorrected for population.

So, maybe that wasn't the best cite to prove my idea that mass shootings aren't a particularly American problem. I'll stipulate to that and try again with this.

Conclusion? As of the latest (mid-2015) decent study I can find, if you toss together all "mass shooting" incidents (not limited to schools, excluding war zones) you find the U.S. death rate from mass shootings ranks 11th in the world.

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Don’t understand why the Beslan School siege wasn’t listed for Russia in 2004, where 334 people were killed (not counting the Islamic terrorist). How soon we forget...
    not sure where that school is, but except for the very western part of Russia around Moscow and Petersburg, most of the country is in Asia.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What law is going to ensure adults store firearms responsibly?
    There are places in the world where owning a firearm means giving the state the right to enter your home at random to check and make sure that you're keeping them in your approved safe. At minimum, those places will check that you have such a safe and inspect the installation before allowing the purchase of a gun. This sets up a higher burden to entry which is what those governments want.

As an additional benefit (from the point of view of the state) and as other have pointed out, if you then let a gun get into the wrong hands you get pilloried after the fact, too.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    not sure where that school is, but except for the very western part of Russia around Moscow and Petersburg, most of the country is in Asia.

It wasn’t listed for Asia, either (if you scroll down). The list had one incident listed for Russia (in Europe) in 2014.

For the main geographical part of Russia, Asia begins roughly just west of the Ural Mountains - which is still 1,200 EAST of Moscow.

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    So, maybe that wasn't the best cite to prove my idea that mass shootings aren't a particularly American problem. I'll stipulate to that and try again with this.
    Looks like good data at that link. Thanks!

Conclusion? As of the latest (mid-2015) decent study I can find, if you toss together all "mass shooting" incidents (not limited to schools, excluding war zones) you find the U.S. death rate from mass shootings ranks 11th in the world.
    It also says the US ranked 12th in frequency, but this year's 16 YTD probably will put us closer to the top.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    And the shooter’s family expressed their regrets and shock & dismay their son could do such a thing. “That’s not the kind, loving boy we know.... yada, yada, yada...” Smart kid, not a hateful bone in his body, etc. etc....
    Bullshit. At best they can only say they had no idea who their son is. Negligent? Delusional? Maybe both...

any where that mass killing occurs outside of war, is a recent development.
    Not really. Largest school massacre to date occured in 1927. No guns used of course. Guns were not a "scary" item at the time, so they had little value in iliciting the desired reactions.

Examining the phenomenon in antiquity is more difficult as the modern landscape is so different. For the vast majority of human history mass murders were perpetrated by an agent of the state. It is a relatively new thing that modern governments don't go around killing their own people. We also have an unprecedented number of people surviving to adulthood and old age. Crowded human syndrome? Our successes make us weak.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I was not aware that weapons are registered in Texas as they are in NY and I think NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is off topic but I have firsthand experience with NJ, NY and PA gun laws and I feel compelled to share in case anyone is interested.

In NJ, pistols are registered in that pistol sales are restricted by applying for a permit for each individual pistol. So if you want to buy a pistol, you have to submit an application with your local PD and then once it is approved, which can take forever if you have a pack of commies for police, you have 90 days to use it. Private sales of pistols follows the same format. There are no restrictions on private sales of long arms other than the typical BS. If you move to NJ(dont do that), then there is no record of the pistol and it does not have to be registered with the state. There is no registration at all on long arms. There is a sizeable gun culture in NJ. It is actually fairly red despite always getting lib raped in elections do to all the cities in the north and Camden.

Wife is from NJ and I lived there for a few years after I got out of the military. I didn't own any firearms before I went there and left there with a decent collection. I moved to Pennsylvania and lived there for a couple of years before I came back to Texas. That state has good people and good gun laws. I have never seen so many rebel flags flying. I was honestly surprised by that but they truly hate the government in all forms up there and they fly it as a big F-U to the feds.

As far as NY goes, you cant even bring a handgun into the state if you are not a resident. Mag restrictions are shitty too. No ARs and some people have AKs but all of those "assault rifles" had to get put on some list that the commissar of nyc will probably use as a confiscation list later on. There are also background checks on ammunition. I have an uncle who has a beef farm up there(He is from Texas too) and anytime I go up that way, the only thing I bring with me are the shotguns. Long guns and pistols besides "assault rifles" are not registered .

The one thing of comfort is there are a ton and I mean hundreds if not thousands of people in his area who havent registered shit, who drive across the border to PA or VT to buy bulk ammo and who will not comply with any gun laws. Last time I was there, a sheriffs deputy pulled up and shot some rounds with us.

Take a look at this map too. It shows the amount of counties, PD's, and Sheriffs who have told NY state to go **** itself:

safe act **** you.png

They might be yankees, but they are all good people from what I have seen and they hate what is going on up there as much as we do. Its always the cities, liberals and dindus ruining everything like usual

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It is a relatively new thing that modern governments don't go around killing their own people.
    I think it's too early to think of this as an established standard. If we expand the definition of "government" to include various proxy groups under government control then a whole new level of discussion opens.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think it's too early to think of this as an established standard. If we expand the definition of "government" to include various proxy groups under government control then a whole new level of discussion opens.
    Very true. More accurate to say it happens less than it used to; on a grander historical level at least.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I challenged a newspaper editor to stop using these tragedies to promote a gun control agenda and instead investigate root causes. The paper had no interest in doing this. "Maybe a government commission will do it."

Top Bottom