• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoachHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Keller, TX
    I got a new Marlin 336 Stainless. Can't wait to go to the range. Any advice on breaking in new guns before I go?

Also, is it okay to clean the bore from the end? The side ejection prevents sending a cleaning rod from the receiver end. In short I've never cleaned a lever action

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    There was just a big discussion about "breaking in" a new gun...basicly, clean it before you go. clean it when you get home, and have fun in between!

As for getting a cleaning rod down the barrel...If that's the only way you can do it, shouldn't be a problem cleaning from one end as opposed to the other!

Enjoy the new rifle! SEND PICTURES!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yep, here's the thread on it...

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...2-how-break-barrel-dissenting-point-view.html

I'm going to abide by the advice given there, and not the clean-shoot once-clean-repeat method that some subscribe to. In all my discussions on this topic, both online and with people who's opinion I respect, I've gotten the same response...clean if before shooting, shoot it, then clean it afterwards.

Cheers! M2

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Cleaning from the muzzle end should be avoided to avoid the risk of boogering the rifling and/or crown with the cleaning rod. It also pushes all of the crap back into the action. Use a Boresnake instead.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    All you have to do to get a straight pass at the chamber of the rifle is remove the bolt, just drop the lever about half way down, take out the flat head screw that is holding the lever in place ( in the teardrop on the bottom of the receiver ), pull out the lever, then pull out the bolt. Heres a video of a bugger picking kid doing it. YouTube - Disassembly of the marlin 336.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i read somewhere that to break in the barrely you want to clean in between shots, to keep the barrel from loosing zero as it heats up. something about tempering it...

anyone heard of this or am i jsut further proving myself as a crackpot?
    ;)

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    i read somewhere that to break in the barrely you want to clean in between shots, to keep the barrel from loosing zero as it heats up. something about tempering it...

anyone heard of this or am i jsut further proving myself as a crackpot?
    ;)

crackpot.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I hate to say anything about DSArms (I've never dealt with them and I don't know a thing about their products/services) but it seems to me that the folks telling you to do barrel break-ins this harshly are the ones who have the worst machining processes. I shouldn't have to finish the job that quality reaming and lapping should have done.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i have personally seen identical light barrel .308s one looses zero after 15 rounds, one does not. this was apparently (again just a hypothesis based on observation) from thermal stress changing the shape of the barrel.
    the one that seemed to not be affected by this was one that was broken in with a process similar to this one.
    though i haven't hand the opportunity to test this scientifically.

i am not an expert, maybe tx1911 might have something to say on this...

obviously this isnt going to be such an issue on heavy 'bull' type barrels, and smaller caliber weapons. but the basic idea seems to make sense.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I think I'll stick with the advise from a man who has made 1000's of barrels for people who have won 1000's of matches using them.

Clean it good, enjoy it, clean it good and repeat as needed!

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    To change the metallurgy of a barrel, you would have to get the temperature up somewhere past 1000 F. Rounds would be cooking off by that time.

prove it.

Come out shooting. I've put 2 new precision rifles into service this year so far, no break-ins required. Not saying it doesn't help an unfinished barrel, but a lot of high end barrel makers will agree that break-in does more harm than perceived good...and my targets say the same thing...

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    doesnt kreiger have a recommended break in procedure?

and im not doubting you, liek i said im not an expert.

but yeah depending on where and when you shoot, i might be able to come out. sounds like fun. especially when i get my new .308s since irght now all ive got in the 'long range' category is an old 4th or 6th hand .30-06
    (i want to get two, and do a scientific test, then sell the one that looses ;) somethign ive been meaning to do for a while now actually.)

Top Bottom