• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Cleaning from the muzzle end should be avoided to avoid the risk of boogering the rifling and/or crown with the cleaning rod. It also pushes all of the crap back into the action. Use a Boresnake instead.

You can protect the crown with a rod guide at the muzzle end. Boresnakes are awesome for quick cleanings, but don't get guns anywhere near as clean as using a cleaning rod properly. However, I'll say that most people actually over-clean their guns by a huge margin.

Run a dry patch through the rifle before you shoot it just to make sure there isn't anything in the bore (even oil). Make sure the action is lubed properly (I'm to the point where I use grease on everything because it works better and lasts longer than oil for 90% of what needs lubing). Then shoot it. Shoot it until your groups start opening up. Don't be surprised if this doesn't happen for well over 500 rounds. Keep track of how long that takes and you'll have a good idea what kind of a preventive maintenance schedule to run. If your groups start opening up at 700 rounds, then you clean the rifle every 600.

I'll run a pistol until it starts to malfunction. I'm at about 400 rounds on my P220 and it still works great. I expect I'll wind up cleaning it again here in another couple hundred because it starts getting dirty as heck at about 600. I still haven't shot it enough to get a malfunction out of it - I usually clean it once a year whether it needs it or not.
    Texas SOT

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    No objection to your comments Sage, but look again at the gun we're talking about. A boresnake is plenty good enough if used regularly with a good copper solvent

CoachHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Keller, TX
    Thanks for the input. I actually met a great guy at that works at the Quail Creek Gun Range that was willing to show me exactly how to remove the lever on my Marlin 336 so that I could clean it with a rod. The youtube video, was good but I wasn't confident until I saw it in person. It's simple and easy. I love the gun, I just need more practice with the iron sights. I'm a Marlin fan all the way now!

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    If you want to go with more accurate iron sights, try a receiver mounted peep sight. With decent vision, your groups will improve greatly. Just put what you want to shoot in front of the dot and the dot in the circle and fire, they're quick and reliable, as well they aren't expensive $35 will get you a good set up that can stand up to abuse.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    i have personally seen identical light barrel .308s one looses zero after 15 rounds, one does not. this was apparently (again just a hypothesis based on observation) from thermal stress changing the shape of the barrel.
    the one that seemed to not be affected by this was one that was broken in with a process similar to this one.
    though i haven't hand the opportunity to test this scientifically.

This would depend on the amount of thermal energy constrained in the barrel and the grade of steel used in the barrel. The relationship of thermal load versus yield strength is dependent largely on the modulus of elasticity of the steel, which is generally similar in the grand scheme of things, but could vary the temp that barrels show deformation. Another factor is the peak load the barrel is subjected to, and the duration of that load.

I would consider temps above 500 degrees to be too much for a lighter barrel profile. Heavier, purpose built LMG barrels could take more.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    This would depend on the amount of thermal energy constrained in the barrel and the grade of steel used in the barrel. The relationship of thermal load versus yield strength is dependent largely on the modulus of elasticity of the steel, which is generally similar in the grand scheme of things, but could vary the temp that barrels show deformation. Another factor is the peak load the barrel is subjected to, and the duration of that load.

I would consider temps above 500 degrees to be too much for a lighter barrel profile. Heavier, purpose built LMG barrels could take more.

makes sense to me.

Top Bottom