• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    vmax,

My understanding of federal law & regulations is that IF you cannot honestly answer the questions & buy a firearm using a 4473, that you cannot possess a modern firearm. - Is that correct or false??

yours, satx
    Guns International

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Several reasons:

- For a California resident, avoiding the 10-day waiting period
    - Some folks don't like having their name put down on paperwork (In CA, you have to fill out a state form in addition to a 4473)
    - Some folks like the feeling of saying they made it themselves (however true it may be)
    - You can make the lower appear however you want; serial numbers, designs, etc.
    - Different materials (aluminum, poly, titanium, etc)

where in Tx did you end up?

Greater Houston.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    vmax,

My understanding of federal law & regulations is that IF you cannot honestly answer the questions & buy a firearm using a 4473, that you cannot possess a modern firearm. - Is that correct or false??

yours, satx

let me clarify my statement.
    The reason to avoid a 4473 is to avoid any back door registration, not to be able to own a gun when you are not legally able to buy one at an FFL and pass a NICS check

We all know that ATF can come into an FFL and examine the bound book any time. That information is readily available to them. Congress prohibited them from using it as a registry but every time you buy a gun from your LGS and they go out of business years later, they turn all of their records over to ATF. I just have my own idea about what they might do with those records and I bet they just don't let them sit in a box in a warehouse.
    The law says you can build a gun for yourself and not put a SN on it. That is the appeal, at least to me, the right to do something that they did back 250 years ago

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    all correct.

in CA, it's even more valuable, since they are now registering long guns, and there is no longer a single-shot exemption on handguns.

So #1 you can build a non-registered long gun

#2 you can build an AR pistol (there is no way to 4473/DROS a lower as a pistol in CA, and wr have the CA DOJ Roster of Handguns

I built my AR Pistol mainly because at the time, it was the most cost effective way to own one how I wanted it built.

The added allure of custom engraving also helped. I paid $150ish for my lower, which is comparable to say a $200-250 manufactured lower in terms of quality

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    let me clarify my statement.
    The reason to avoid a 4473 is to avoid any back door registration, not to be able to own a gun when you are not legally able to buy one at an FFL and pass a NICS check

We all know that ATF can come into an FFL and examine the bound book any time. That information is readily available to them. Congress prohibited them from using it as a registry but every time you buy a gun from your LGS and they go out of business years later, they turn all of their records over to ATF. I just have my own idea about what they might do with those records and I bet they just don't let them sit in a box in a warehouse.
    The law says you can build a gun for yourself and not put a SN on it. That is the appeal, at least to me, the right to do something that they did back 250 years ago

Good explanation on the 4473. There's lots of misinformation out there about it. I still don't worry about 4473s because it only proves who received it from that FFL. Nothing more. If you're in a state that allows private sales (like Texas) then it's a non-issue.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Good explanation on the 4473. There's lots of misinformation out there about it. I still don't worry about 4473s because it only proves who received it from that FFL. Nothing more. If you're in a state that allows private sales (like Texas) then it's a non-issue.

And, given that they are only kept by the selling FFL; good luck trying to find where the firearm was originally sold. The ATF can request a copy of the form, but I am not aware of any FFLs that are providing all of their 4473s to that organization.

Folks love to quote that line from Red Dawn, but like a lot of other things from that movie it's pure Hollywood. Even if all FFLs provide the ATF with copies of their FFLs, good luck trying to copy all that info from the hardcopy forms to a centralized database.

Of course, then there's always that nasty eForm 4473. Although the law allowing them (Government Paperwork Elimination Act (GPEA), Public L. No 105-277) was signed in 1999, I have yet to submit one when purchasing a firearm. Still, I would fear that more as a step towards "registration" than the hardcopy form itself...

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just come on with them
    Stop at the border and swear allegiance to the south and leave any liberal voting tendencies behind
    Swear allegiance to the south? WTF?

The last time we did that we were lumped in with the losers.

OP just needs to swear allegiance to Texas.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    An "intrafamilial form"? Seriously?

SMH.jpg

300blk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    one thing to keep in mind is that all your registered (DROS) guns will still be in your name even if you sell them in texas. California has a no longer in possession form (NLIP) but as far as anyone knows even if you fill it out and send it in, you are still listed as the last owner in the DROS system. As I understand it, DROS will only change the owner if you sell it to someone in california who has to submitt a new DROS request.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Every time I watch an OLD Perry Mason episode (He practiced law in California) I 'cringe' when I hear the person declare that 'The Gun Is Legally Registered".
    Really??????????????? Even back in the 1950s????????????????

Back in the 1970s, I lived in New York State for a brief time and never heard about registering.
    I lived in New Jersey around the same time and had to submit a 'PERMIT TO PURCHASE FIREARMS' for every one so I guess new purchases were registered???

I lived in the Chicago area for a few months but did NOT want to stay so I did NOT familiarize myself with more STUPID laws before I moved back to Texas.

Do you actually have to write serial numbers and submit the info to the State??????????????????

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GTFO of there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Welcome aboard. I came from San Mateo, CA and left in 2003. I came here to Humble, TX with all my so called "Assault Weapons" which California calls them and made me register them. I called DPS asking about registration and they told me they have none. It was the best experience coming to a State where I felt welcomed as a gun owner and hunter unlike California.

Top Bottom