• Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    From the article:

See the rest here http://www.thebangswitch.com/budget-red-dot-sight-comparison-part-1/

Right as I was working on a red dot sight review of my own-I found out that my favorite firearms reviewer-the Military Arms Channel is in the middle of putting out one of their own! I still want to try and put something together for the higher end models, but he pretty much covered everything you want to know about the budget models.

?Budget? Red Dot Sight Comparison ? Part 1 | The Bang Switch

I am not a rich guy. I’m not complaining by any means. I’m comfortable with my income, but with 3 kids in school and an older house with a long list of home improvement projects, my disposable income just does not allow me to plunk down $400-1000, or more, for an optic for each of my rifles. Having spoken with more than a few people recently who were also shopping for optics, I know I am not alone in that regard. With that in mind, I had looked for an in depth comparison of some of the less expensive red dot sights on the market but have never really found one. Thus, the idea for this article was hatched.
    In the title of this article, I use the term “budget” when referring to these sights. Please realize that I use that term loosely here, because even though these sights all have a street price under $200 (my price ceiling for this comparison), many of them are far from “cheap” in either construction or pricing. However, when compared with even the least expensive options from Aimpoint, EOTech and the other big names, they are in a completely different price ballpark.

Military Camp

Last edited by a moderator:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Personally, I'm not surprised at all that PA came in the top two. I think the issue with the wind-age screw having an UP adjustment might be what hurt it. I know one thing for sure-I'm looking forward to the abuse test!

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Why is the MSRP on the SPARC so high? That's how much I paid for an EOTech after the rebate (which just came in the mail).

Or is it some form of psychological marketing? "You can take this scope home for -50% off MSRP!!"

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I don't know much about the pricing :/

The abuse test is yet to come. I'm hoping he does it right-leave the sights on the gun and everything. I REALLY wanna see how the PA keeps it's zero when dropped while mounted.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I really want to like the TRS 25, it is green and you can see part of the electronics in the field of view.

Perhaps I'll have to try the Primary Arms if I don't go all Aimpoint.

Last edited:

MilitaryArms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    I hate to be "that guy" but reposting my entire article is unethical. I have no problem with folks posting a few paragraphs and a link to the original content. But making a complete copy and reposting it leaves no incentive for someone to come to my site to read the article. Blog content isn't free for me to produce, it costs money to hire writers, buy products, shoot ammo, etc. That cost is offset by advertisers on my blog. When you steal my content and deny me the traffic to the blog, you're taking money out of my pocket. If you find the content of the blog useful (you apparently like it enough to repost it) then please support the blog by driving traffic to it vs. stealing content from it.

I respectfully request that a moderator remove the entire blog post and replace it with the first few paragraphs and a link to the original content.

MilitaryArms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Valid. Im sure Jeremy didn't think of it that way. I know i didn't but you are right.
    You're probably right, I'm sure he had no ill intent in posting the article and I don't want to cause him any grief with my post. I only ask that the post be amended. I'm all for folks sharing a snippet of content and posting a link, that's very much appreciated.

I'm a bit sensitive to the issue because I was forced into having my lawyer send a DMCA takedown notice to the ISP of a blog that copied the content of my daily posts to their own blog where they sold their own advertising. I asked them kindly to stop the practice several times and was completely ignored, until their site was temporarily shutdown. But that's been resolved amicably now.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Sorry about that, man-I'll get it fixed right now. Honest mistake. :)

Edit: Looks like a mod beat me to it. Keep up the good work with the reviews!

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Primary Arms Micro Dot Classic MD-06L Removable Base and extended front threaded for optional killflash
    clear1x1.gif
    MD-06L-2T.jpg

Micro Dot Classic with Removable Base and extended front threaded for optional killflash

PBox_Border_Left_Top.gif
    clear1x1.gif
    PBox_Border_Right_Top.gif
    clear1x1.gif
    Micro Dot Classic with Removable Base and extended front threaded for optional killflash

Our Price: $79.99

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Anyone else find the TRS25 too blue/green and the sight pic obscured?
    Nope - have one on my AK. There is a little bulge from the electronics, but (like an AR front sight through optics) I don't even see it when I'm focused on the target. Can't remember the last time I even noticed it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Please, if you're going to use someone else' content, it needs to be properly attributed, put in quotes, with links to the original content. Same thing goes for pictures and any other type of media that is someone else' property.

Sorry about that Mac. Please let me know if there are any other issues or if you have any other concerns.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have the Lucid HD-7 and find it to be an excellent scope. They did not test to see if it is waterproof, which the HD-7 is. The battery life is 2000 hrs from a AAA battery. It was battle tested in Afganistan which brought about the "gen-3" version which was adding captive wires to the removable adjustment caps. It can properly 1/3 co-witness BUIS. The best option is the screw on 2x magnifier $30. A screw on Killflash like the ACOG's is also available.
    It is a proper height scope for an AR without purchasing rings, or an additional base. Plus IMHO it just looks badass on a rifle.
    If you have astigmatism a red dot sight is not for you. It will be blurred by the astigmatism.

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Dropped a TRS-25 and a (high) UTG riser onto an AR:

fvv2fk.jpg

Worked out well to give a lower 1/3 witness

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant