• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'm currently building a bug out bag, in case SHTF, just asking for TGT's influence in this build-a-bag. I have a G.I. duffle bag, and will buy another backpack for my gf, so she can hold on to stuff that will be readily accessible, and i carry the heavy stuff.

What are some items that will be good to have, in case of some natural disaster, some sort of warfare, people going crazy, "cough cough" zombies "cough cough", etc?

I will have basic tools/items for now, 6-12 in full tanged knife, canteen, flashlights, good range walkie talkies, compass, U.S.A. map, state map, and local area map, rain poncho, first aid kit, make a fire items, zippo lighter, field wipes, bug spray.

For foods, I'm thinking bottled water, canned foods, small snacks. For clothing, i will have 2 of everything, 2 socks, 2 undies, 1 long sleeve and 1 short sleeve shirt, etc.

Of course i will have ammo for my firearms, and future weapons i will buy. Any thing you all recommend in these type of situations/bug-out bags?

Also any tips or advice as far as starting fires, clothing types(cotton vs polyester vs etc)!?

thanks!
    ARJ Defense ad

CachookinLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Louisiana
    Victorionox Swisschamp or Wegner equivalent, or some sort of Multitool. Multiple means of water purification, Esbit stove, few sharp, pointy objects, few changes of cold and hot weather clothes and crusher cap, plastic camping cup, dryer lint, lighter, batteries, maps of the area, and most importantly, strength and stamina​.

Cotton sucks in that it retains moisture quite well. Let any Boy Scout tell you that. A timepiece may help, preferably one with our hands to find cardinal direction, signaling, and don't be afraid to get some first aid training and ​get out there and test it!

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    Paracord, glow sticks, hand crank radio, water treatment tablets, and duct tape.

you need to be able to get to water in the first place, I'd have 4-6 bottles in your pack just in case. From there, you can keep the empty bottles for further use.

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    What ever you put in you're going to have to be able to carry. I don't mean just from the house to the car but on your back all day long. From some of the load outs I've seen on the internet, no way these people can carry their BOBs all day.

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    What ever you put in you're going to have to be able to carry. I don't mean just from the house to the car but on your back all day long. From some of the load outs I've seen on the internet, no way these people can carry their BOBs all day.

Yeah, I know I will have to carry, one of the " survival" shows one of the guys said, if it doesn't help me in 3 different ways
    It won't be worth me carrying. Which to me is a good idea really.
    Thanks to the other suggestions, I didn't think of glow sticks, I looked more into the water tablets, and for sure the multitool.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    What are the results of your threat assessment?

Are you located in a place where you will have to bug out -- flood, fire, pestilence, chemical contamination, nuclear radiation, bio hazard?

Will you bug out by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or car/pick-up truck?

Are you going alone, or do you have family, close friends and/or pets?

It might be better to hunker down in place and build a comfortable stash of food, water, medicine, booze, smokes, fuel, emergency power, guns, and ammo. Don't forget about food and medicine for your dog(s) -- your most reliable early warning system.

An Army-style duffel bag is the worst way to pack emergency supplies (especially if you are on the move) -- you will have to dig deep into the bag or empty it completely to find what you need.

Props to you for thinking about SHTF -- better to have it and n

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    OK, this thread got me thinking, so I just bought a bunch of stuff from Amazon:

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
    Tube Tent Emergency Shelter, Weather Protection, Emergency Zone? Brand
    SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F01T Tactical Tomahawk, Black
    Rothco Type III Commercial Paracord (Black, 550-Pound/100-Feet)
    Mainstay Emergency Food Rations - 3600 Calorie Bars (Single)
    Military Prismatic Sighting Compass w/ Pouch
    Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel 2.0 Scout 3,000 Strike Fire Starter
    3M Scotch Duct Tape, Black, 1.88-Inch by 20-Yard
    Adventure Medical Kits UltraLight & Watertight .9 Kit
    Coghlans Waterproof Matches 10-pack

Add to that, my:
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown and 1 brick of ammo
    M&P9 with 2 extra mags and 200rds of ammo
    handheld flashlight and headlamp, plus batteries
    fleshlight
    water/windproof packable jacket
    change of clothes
    toilet paper
    multi-tool
    Ka-Bar knife
    pocketknife
    spool of plastic bags i stole from produce dept. at HEB

jtyler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Peeltown
    Backpack with a frame will make hauling loads easier on you Nd dehydrated food is much lighter than canned goods

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    OK, this thread got me thinking, so I just bought a bunch of stuff from Amazon:

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
    Tube Tent Emergency Shelter, Weather Protection, Emergency Zone? Brand
    SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F01T Tactical Tomahawk, Black
    Rothco Type III Commercial Paracord (Black, 550-Pound/100-Feet)
    Mainstay Emergency Food Rations - 3600 Calorie Bars (Single)
    Military Prismatic Sighting Compass w/ Pouch
    Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel 2.0 Scout 3,000 Strike Fire Starter
    3M Scotch Duct Tape, Black, 1.88-Inch by 20-Yard
    Adventure Medical Kits UltraLight & Watertight .9 Kit
    Coghlans Waterproof Matches 10-pack

Add to that, my:
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown and 1 brick of ammo
    M&P9 with 2 extra mags and 200rds of ammo
    handheld flashlight and headlamp, plus batteries
    fleshlight
    water/windproof packable jacket
    change of clothes
    toilet paper
    multi-tool
    Ka-Bar knife
    pocketknife
    spool of plastic bags i stole from produce dept. at HEB

Why are there tons of BOBs with a compass but very few have a map?

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Why are there tons of BOBs with a compass but very few have a map?

haha, I forgot to list the maps. I have topo maps of the area surrounding our ranch in west texas (end destination), as well as street-level maps of my town and of the greater Houston area.

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    shortround:

Are you located in a place where you will have to bug out -- flood, fire, pestilence, chemical contamination, nuclear radiation, bio hazard? Well i currently live in apartments, in case of a fire, well i have all my things ready.

My main reason really for a bug out bag is for economic downfall, another raccoon city incident, lol.

Will you bug out by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or car/pick-up truck?

Currently it would be by foot, but in the case where its a civil war, or dead dog eat limping dog, i will borrow a vehicle from the apartments and return it when its all over.

Are you going alone, or do you have family, close friends and/or pets?

Currently my pregnant fiance(hope nothing happens while she is), and i do have family in houston, but they arent prepared much. I have cousin in the valley who coordinate about this, and i am planning on making a trip over there.

It might be better to hunker down in place and build a comfortable stash of food, water, medicine, booze, smokes, fuel, emergency power, guns, and ammo. Don't forget about food and medicine for your dog(s) -- your most reliable early warning system.

In the event something does go down and i can stay in my apartment for awhile, at least a week, i will stay here, and let everything go to shits.

An Army-style duffel bag is the worst way to pack emergency supplies (especially if you are on the move) -- you will have to dig deep into the bag or empty it completely to find what you need.

i have thought about that, and have packed only supplies i wont need in a hurry, i have a backpack where i have medical supplys, and a bit more ammo, i also have an ammo box with shells and .40 cal ammo.

Props to you for thinking about SHTF -- better to have it.

thanks, one thing though that i am having somewhat of a hard time on what to put, on my shotgun's pistol grip, its hollow, and i can open it from the bottom. What would be a good choice to add in there? i was thinking of adding a texas map(if i can fit it in there), or fire making supply's, wrapped in ziploc to make waterproof.

what brand would be good for a compass, i was at academy and was looking at some, and it said not for serious use or something like.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Personally, I would scratch the shotgun. Not very efficient when it comes to uses and weight, plus the ammo is bulky. (IMHO)

Unless that's all you got.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom